Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Budget wheels. Which would you choose?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Budget wheels. Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 02:19 PM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by M_S
I guess I'm leaning towards the open pros, but can anyone tell me if there's a significant difference between the CXP 23s and the Open pro rims? Like I said I can get the former with Ultegra hubs for the same price as the performance ones, and the shop will have done a thorough tensioning of them.
The OP is a box rim and the CXP is a deep profile rim so there is a major difference in the actual rim. That being said I have several sets of OP rims and one set of CXP 30 rims and I really can't tell a difference between them. If I were you I'd get the wheels that have been tensioned by the shop.
Old 01-13-08, 03:10 PM
climbhoser

Bikes: SS Surly Crosscheck; '91 Cannondale 3.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the OP is a better rim, personally, but they're not aero. They are lighter, have a ceramic surface and tons of other features the CXP23s don't have.

However, having wheels hand tensioned is invaluable, especially at the same price as OPs. My OPs have been bomber, but that's a statistical anomaly when regarding wheels.
Old 01-13-08, 07:14 PM
shapelike
Don't smoke, Mike.

Bikes: Devinci Tosca, IRO Rob Roy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by climbhoser
I think the OP is a better rim, personally, but they're not aero. They are lighter, have a ceramic surface and tons of other features the CXP23s don't have.
Err, there are three versions of the Open Pro:

- regular
- CD
- CD Ceramic

Only one has a ceramic braking surface and runs about $200.00 per rim at full retail.
Old 01-13-08, 08:49 PM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chucksbikes.com has a set of Ritchey Zero OCR wheels for $115. Damn cheap and from my experience would serve as a great wheelset, budget or otherwise.
Old 01-14-08, 12:24 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone can correct me, but the OPs have eyelets for more durability, the box section makes them more comfortable and more durable. They are lighter. Neither one of them is "aero." The CXP with 23mm section does not make an aero wheel. Plus, why would you want an aero wheel for a cross bike? The spoke # and gauge probably has the most effect on the ride. Go with your instinct against proprietary spokes. For one set of wheels, nothing can beat an open pro, ultegra/centaur, 32 double butted 14 gauge, 3 cross wheelset.
Old 01-14-08, 10:19 PM
wompwomp
you can go backwards?!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amorrow
Someone can correct me, but the OPs have eyelets for more durability, the box section makes them more comfortable and more durable. They are lighter. Neither one of them is "aero." The CXP with 23mm section does not make an aero wheel. Plus, why would you want an aero wheel for a cross bike? The spoke # and gauge probably has the most effect on the ride. Go with your instinct against proprietary spokes. For one set of wheels, nothing can beat an open pro, ultegra/centaur, 32 double butted 14 gauge, 3 cross wheelset.
A box cross section doesn't necessarily make a rim comfortable or durable.
There, someone corrected you. =0p
Old 01-14-08, 11:06 PM
Psydotek
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, if you actually do CX races, aero/deep profile rims are popular because they give a smaller "platform" for mud to build up and from what i've read they slice through muck easier. I'm sure those are some of the reasons why you'll find Zipp 404s on the Speedvagen.

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.