Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

New Chain - Too long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-08, 12:03 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Chain - Too long?

I just installed a new Izumi track chain. It seems to long. With a 50 x 15, and a healthy amount of slack in the chain, my wheel is all the way to the end of the ends. Do I need to remove links, and if so, how many?

It's an EAI Nessuno. I am, obviously, new to this so I don't have a preference of short versus long events. So I would like a good degree of flexibility. I searched everywhere and can't seem to find an answer.
Old 03-17-08, 12:48 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is a fairly large gear. That is probably too long for your smallest gear but ideally you would have several chains of different length on hand to carry you through a wide range of gears. Think about what is the smallest combination of chainring/cog you will use. Notice I didn't say smallest gear. For me that would be a 46x16 for warmups or something. With that gearing my short chain puts the axle pretty close to the end. Going up a 46x15 (82.8) would likely put it right at the end but a 49x16 (82.7) is virtually the same gear so I use that instead. I'll keep another chain with a few extra links to cover combinations of larger rings/cogs.
Old 03-17-08, 02:23 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I should put on a warm-up gear (let's say 46x16), push the wheel to the end of the track ends, then shorten the chain accordingly? I think this will mean taking out 2 or 3 links. Does that sound right? If I understand this correctly, I should be able to run many, but not all, gear combos on this chain (like a 49x15). To run something bigger (like 50x14), I will need a longer chain.
Old 03-17-08, 03:05 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not saying my method is the way to go. I just happened to have a 46x16 gear on when I got the chain so it made sense to think of it that way. Most people will tell you to keep the axle closer in but you can't do that with every single gear.