Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you thing about this upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 02:30 PM
drew3623

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright. Im pretty much new to cycling. I dont race, but love to go on long rides and maybe eventually getting into racing. I am cureently riding a 1995 Scott AFD 303. I know, nothing special. Ive been thinking about buying either a :

48cm RALEIGH R700 COMP -- 24 speeds, red/black fade -- $650 (Photo)
Kinesis aero aluminum frame with teardrop-shaped top tube and bladed down tube, Kinesis Wedge carbon fork in a race geometry. Mix of Shimano componentry includes 600 hubs, 105 rear derailleur, RSX STI shifters. Bontrager crank, Selle Italia Tri-Matic saddle, American Classic seatpost, dual-pivot brakes, Matrix Titan Tech heat-treated, anodized rims, Specialized Turbo tires. Very good condition. (Priced without pedals.)
or a:

52cm CANNONDALE 2.8 -- 21 speeds, red -- $475 (Photo)
Lightweight machine combines race-series aluminum frame and fork with low gearing. Shimano RSX STI shifters, Deore LX touring crank, Shimano STX derailleurs, Mavic CXP-10 aero clincher rims. Shimano linear-response brakes, alloy bars and stem, new tires and handlebar tape. Conventional pedals with toe clips and straps. Good condition, some scuffs and scratches.

This is about the price range that I can afford right now. Do you think one of these bikes would be a good enough upgrade for the money?
Old 03-20-08, 02:38 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
If your Scott's in good shape, save your money. It's perfectly adequate, and the bikes you list are not orders of magnitude ahead of it.

Keep riding. Save money. When you have $1000-1500, and the Scott is more worn out, then buy something that will be a significant step up.
Old 03-20-08, 02:39 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First figure out what size you really need.

Then [Shill on/] Look at this https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt2300.htm [/Shill off]

It's a better bike than either of your two options, it's new, and it'll have a lot trouble-free miles in it.

Alternatively, hang out on Craig's list for a while, find something you want, and then prepare to do some work sprucing it up.
Old 03-20-08, 02:48 PM
droptop

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
unless the scott needs work now, keep riding it. heck, give it a good tune up, and she will feel like new. im currently building up a raleigh r700 frame (1999 model), and its a good frame, but its still going to cost me about $700. craigslist is good, but unless there is a serious problem with your current bike (wrong size) just ride it. you will be fine. a real step up will be in the over $1000 bikes. i wish i had a scott... next bike.
Old 03-20-08, 03:58 PM
drew3623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Scott is in good shape. The only thing I dont like about it is that it puts alot of pressure on my palms. It feels like my hands keep cramping up. Any Ideas on what causes it? Other than that Im pretty happy with the bike.. other than the color.. man I sound like a women.
Old 03-20-08, 04:13 PM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drew3623
My Scott is in good shape. The only thing I dont like about it is that it puts alot of pressure on my palms. It feels like my hands keep cramping up. Any Ideas on what causes it? Other than that Im pretty happy with the bike.. other than the color.. man I sound like a women.
Spend some money on getting a bike fit or look it up. Sounds like your gripping the bars to tight.
Old 03-20-08, 04:26 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I dont like about it is that it puts alot of pressure on my palms. It feels like my hands keep cramping up. Any Ideas on what causes it? Other than that Im pretty happy with the bike.. other than the color.. man I sound like a women.
Could be any number of things. I'd put it down to either too long TT or saddle angle both of which require you to put extra pressure on your hands. You should be able to ride comfortably with very minimal grip or hand pressure - if you actually have to lean on your bars then something is up with the fit.
Old 03-20-08, 04:35 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiemeyer (a frame builder) and competitive Cyclist.com both have decent fit calculators online. You probably need someone to help you measure.

As for bikes, does the scott have integrated shifting, like STI or ergopower? If not, that's a pretty major upgrade. Far more than you can do with a new, but equally heavy frame. Do you ride clipless pedals?

Anyway, what someone else said, get sized, ride some bikes at a shop or two, then hang out on craigslist for a while and see what you can find. Or save your pennies and buy something in a year.
Old 03-20-08, 05:26 PM
drew3623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use toe clips because some of the riding I do is in the city. My Scott does have STI shifters. Ill check out the calculator. Ill let you know what it says. Thanks.

jeff: how should the seat be angled. Sorry if I sound ********. Im just getting into cycling.
Old 03-20-08, 06:24 PM
jeffremer

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeff: how should the seat be angled. Sorry if I sound ********. Im just getting into cycling.
Seat angle is a very personal thing, but guys tend to have the seat angled very slightly back. With how our sit bones contact the seat this puts the majority of the pressure on your butt and takes it off the hands.

Womenfolk tend to angle their seats slightly forward to relieve pressure from their sensitive bits, but their pelvises and reach are also different which affects pressure on the hands. This is one reason why WSD tend to have shorter top tubes.
Old 03-20-08, 06:48 PM
drew3623

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks