Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque wrench - will this be sufficient?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Torque wrench - will this be sufficient?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 11:34 AM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You need a click torque wrench rather than the bar. When accuracy matters, I find the bar isn't accurate on small parts where it matters. An expensive torque wrench for occasional use such as Harbor Freight will be fine. HF isn't known for quality tools.

I agree with San Rensho. You need the smaller torque wrench for the small parts on a bike and the carbon parts. You can get buy with a 3/8 or 1/2 drive ratchet for everything else. When you consider the price of Harbor Freight tools, it might be a nice idea to buy the 1/4" and the 3/8" wrenches.

One thing that hasn't been addressed, you can't put on a 1/4" socket adapter on the 3/8" torque wrench. When you do this, you change the final torque. You also can't use an extension for the socket without calculating the torque that has been lost.
Old 04-09-08, 12:22 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence08648
One thing that hasn't been addressed, you can't put on a 1/4" socket adapter on the 3/8" torque wrench. When you do this, you change the final torque. You also can't use an extension for the socket without calculating the torque that has been lost.
I understand the extension since torque is force applied at a certain distance from the fastener.

I don't understand the point you're making about the socket adapter. The center of the socket doesn't change with the adapter. Therefore the distance from the fastener to the point the force is applied doesn't change.
Old 04-09-08, 02:06 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Let me restate my question.

Why does the wrench with the smaller pound rating (0-80) have a larger socket (3/8)?

For the smaller bits, I know I want the smaller pound rating, but I would have assumed that would mean the 1/4".
Old 04-09-08, 02:08 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with San Rensho. You need the smaller torque wrench for the small parts on a bike and the carbon parts.
This is what I mean. The smaller ratchet is 1/4", but the smaller pound capacity is 0-80. I know I want the 0-80 for my purposes, but this seems strange.
Old 04-09-08, 02:32 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use a 1/4" drive beam wrench, Park TW 1, and a 1/2" beam wrench, Craftsman, it's handy for bottom brackets, cassettes, and aluminum alloy car wheels and manifolds. I've had the Craftsman 38 years.

Al
Old 04-09-08, 02:54 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Really? How is the torque lost?
Old 04-09-08, 04:23 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
Really? How is the torque lost?
The extension has some natural twist and it absorbs some of the torque force so that you get a false reading.
Old 04-09-08, 04:27 PM
amorrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone explain to me why the wrench with the smaller ratchet (1/4) has the largest poundage rating (0-80)?
Old 04-09-08, 04:47 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by twobikes
The extension has some natural twist and it absorbs some of the torque force so that you get a false reading.
And how do you calculate the amount of torque that's been lost? How much do you think an extension or adapter twists when you are torquing a bolt to 35 ft lbs?

What is the source of this information? Are you making it up as you go along?

Perhaps you are thinking of the correction that must be calculated when using a crow's foot with a torque wrench, something I can't imagine ever doing while working on a bicycle.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 04-09-08 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 05:30 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by amorrow
This is what I mean. The smaller ratchet is 1/4", but the smaller pound capacity is 0-80. I know I want the 0-80 for my purposes, but this seems strange.

Amorrow, this was explained a couple of times after your first question. For example:

Originally Posted by EricJ
The 1/4" drive is rated at 20-200 INCH-pounds. This would be about 1.6-16.6 FOOT-pounds.

The 3/8" drive is rated at 0-80 FOOT-pounds.

Eric
The measurement isn't "pounds" like you keep saying. It is either "FOOT POUNDS" or "INCH POUNDS". One FOOT POUND = 12 INCH POUNDS; one INCH POUND = 1/12 FOOT POUND.

You have to pay attention to the units specified for each wrench. The 1/4 inch wrench is stated in INCH POUNDS. The 3/8 inch wrench is stated in FOOT POUNDS.

Therefore, the 1/4 inch drive has a smaller maximum torque capacity:

1/4 inch: 200 INCH POUNDS maximum = 17 (200 / 12) FOOT POUNDS
3/8 inch 80 FOOT POUNDS maximum = 960 (80X12) INCH POUNDS

Does that make sense?
Old 04-09-08, 06:19 PM
tippy

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone explain to me why the wrench with the smaller ratchet (1/4) has the largest poundage rating (0-80)?
Sorry ... not enough information.

Pounds of what? Inches, Feet, Yards ... what?

Torque = length * force.

You keep providing the force but haven't considered length. Without length in the mix, you have nothing.

80 pounds or 10 pounds what is the higher torque??? Beats me. Those aren't torque values ... those are weights.

80 INCH-pounds or 10 FOOT-pounds, what is the higher torque? The bigger number?
Don't know. You have apples and oranges (INCH-pound vs FOOT-pound - not the same animal).
Convert to the same unit of measure FOOT to INCHES = Feet * 12)

80 INCH-pounds or 120 INCH-pounds (foot*12 or 10 * 12 = 120).

But wait ... I thought you said 80 pounds was the higher poundage rating???

It's not if you compare apples to apples ...
Old 04-09-08, 06:42 PM
Grand Bois

One foot pound of torque equals 12 inch pounds of torque. What's so hard to understand?
Old 04-09-08, 06:46 PM
Upassdme

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Get a Snap-On or at least a Craftsman. Don't get a no-name unit that hasn't been calibrated.
That craftsman beam - type torque wrench will do anyone right for a good long time. You can also get a 3/8" beam or dial type inch pound torque wrench. Not to mention that beam type torque wrenches tend to be more accurate than the click type or even the dial types, they're a tad harder to read though. Unless you're a professional (any repairing anything) the snap-on line will be far over what you would ever dream of spending, the quality and accuracy is second to none though. I would honestly avoid loaner tools since you have no idea of what the guy that used it before you did with it ("everything's a hammer" and "hold my beer - watch this" come to mind).
Old 04-09-08, 07:02 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And how do you calculate the amount of torque that's been lost? How much do you think an extension or adapter twists when you are torquing a bolt to 35 ft lbs?
53.2% of all statistics are made up!
What is the source of this information? Are you making it up as you go along?
I do not have a source, but was simply trying to give a cogent explanation to why adding extensions would alter the actual torque, as mentioned by others.

Perhaps you are thinking of the correction that must be calculated when using a crow's foot with a torque wrench, something I can't imagine ever doing while working on a bicycle.
A crow's foot would also change the functional distance involved in the basic equation of force over distance, and would thereby alter the actual torque a bit. 35 ft. lbs. is not a huge amount of torque. Torque charts also usually allow some latitude. While you may be aiming for 35 ft. lbs., the specs. probably indicate something like 35 - 40 ft. lbs. as a range of acceptable torque.
Old 04-09-08, 07:28 PM
Upassdme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Formula for torque loss through an extension or crow's foot (really neat website for mathletes and physics people too if you're interested) : https://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_2.htm

Rule of thumb is about 1 ftlb per inch of extension.
Old 04-09-08, 07:36 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by Upassdme
Formula for torque loss through an extension or crow's foot (really neat website for mathletes and physics people too if you're interested) : https://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_2.htm

Rule of thumb is about 1 ftlb per inch of extension.
That's for a crow's foot, not for a socket adapter or extension.

The fact is, Lawrence08648's statement about using an adapter or extension is completely untrue and the fact that twobikes bought into it proves that he doesn't know what he's talking about either.
Old 04-09-08, 07:42 PM
Upassdme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Let me restate my question.

Why does the wrench with the smaller pound rating (0-80) have a larger socket (3/8)?

For the smaller bits, I know I want the smaller pound rating, but I would have assumed that would mean the 1/4".

There are alot of torque wrenches that are calibrated in inch pounds that use a 3/8" drive socket. The most commonly owned and manufacturered socket drive size is 3/8". It actually works to your advantage because you don't have to have 3 or 4 different sets of sockets to do something with.
Old 04-09-08, 07:51 PM
Upassdme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's for a crow's foot, not for a socket adapter or extension.

The fact is, Lawrence08648's statement about using an adapter or extension is completely untrue and the fact that twobikes bought into it proves that he doesn't know what he's talking about either.
First sentence in the first paragraph on that link:

"The following is the calculation that one would use to determine the actual torque applied when using an extension or crow foot."

It's for both, an extension and a crow's foot.
Old 04-09-08, 07:53 PM
Grand Bois

I calibrated torque wrenches when I was in the army. The click type need to be recalibrated the most often. The beam and dial type were the most reliable. Digital wrenches weren't invented yet, it was 40 years ago.
Old 04-09-08, 08:13 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by Upassdme
First sentence in the first paragraph on that link:

"The following is the calculation that one would use to determine the actual torque applied when using an extension or crow foot."

It's for both, an extension and a crow's foot.
Do you understand what a socket extension is? It extends the length of a socket. It has no effect on torque values.

A 3/8" to 1/4" drive adapter:

A 6" extension:

Old 04-09-08, 08:49 PM
Upassdme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in vehicle service, and have for 15 years. Over that 15 years, I've accumulated somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 in tools. I have enough that I have "work" tools (typically high grade stuff) and "home" tools. Since I just went through and cleaned and took inventory on everything today, I have 22 extensions ranging from 1/2" long and 36" long. I've probably worn out more tools than the average person will ever own.

There is torque lost through the extension due to the tensile strength of the material used to make the extension and the amount of force applied to the handle of the tool. Not all extensions are made of the same material, and most that are generally purchased are of an alloy that is significanlty weaker than higher priced extensions. The property of the metal that they're made with prevents them from breaking under severe use. Metal bends and twists when there is force applied to it. The same thing that prevents them from breaking, prevents them from delivering the exact torque that you are trying to get. The torque that is lost is pretty minimal though unless you're using a 12"+ extension.

The catch here is that since most fasteners are torqued in a torque range and on a bike I can't for the life of me see anyone needing to be more than 3" from what they're torquing or taking off, the loss is so minimal and negated by the range, there's no real need to worry about it. Everything has a tolerance because nothing is perfect and there are variations in everything.

I'm really not flaming you and I hope you don't think I am, I do have pretty extensive experience with this though. I'm really only trying to pass along 15 years worth of experience and post high school vocational education to those that don't have it that can benefit from it. I guess I should have qualified my experience in a prior posting, I apologize for having not.
Old 04-09-08, 08:55 PM
Grand Bois

I'm impressed.
Old 04-09-08, 09:05 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm impressed.
Are you really impressed? If so, does that mean I now do know what I am talking about? Or, are you being sarcastic?
Old 04-09-08, 09:50 PM
amorrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You have to pay attention to the units specified for each wrench. The 1/4 inch wrench is stated in INCH POUNDS. The 3/8 inch wrench is stated in FOOT POUNDS.

Does that make sense?
Yes, now it does. I was distracted by the discussion of how much torque is lost in extensions. Thank you.
Old 04-09-08, 09:56 PM
amorrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

Does that make sense?
Yes, now it does. I was distracted by the discussion of how much torque is lost in extensions. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.