Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

*NEW* Pedal Force Group Buy - RS2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

*NEW* Pedal Force Group Buy - RS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 12:20 PM
workscollective
mmm...custom...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankBattle
My frame's on the way. Finally updated the status in tracking .. yaay, I think.
Still nothing for me...this waiting is getting old. Gotta go ride the "old" bike tonight...
Old 04-18-08, 12:35 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workscollective
Still nothing for me...this waiting is getting old. Gotta go ride the "old" bike tonight...
LOL .. yep. Me too. Been riding the old bikes. Actually, taking another on its maiden voyage in a few hours.
Old 04-18-08, 01:38 PM
pelikan
Two wheels is two wheels

Bikes: Pee Wee Herman Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick ride report (with comparison to other bikes):

Today I had to do flat intervals. I usually do these on my track bike at the Polo Fields (its velodrome like except part of Golden Gate Park, not banked and the occasional soccer player, runner and/or dog walker walking in your path), but with only a front brake attached to the RS2, it seemed like a perfect chance to shake out any bugs and have my tools close by.

I did mostly laps, and took a few laps around the GGP Crit loop to so some slight uphill/downhill on jacked up roads.

+The frame handles bumps superbly! It's like a full suspension bike compared to my Giant TCR Limited or Fuji Track Pro. It is so comfortable. I can see this for long rides, long ass road races and descending but not so much crits or lots & lots of climbing or hammer fests.
-The frame does not seem quite as stiff, its not soft but especially compared to the Giant (identical spec or shared parts except for a Ritchey Crank VS R700 on Rs2), when I went to jump its just not as responsive. This might be me putting a 90 stem, which was waaay to short. I would occasionally hit the bars with my legs, so I think I may of naturally adjusted my standing position and used diff muscles and/or bad form. I'ma try a 110 I have and see if that makes any difference.
+/-Sitting down I noticed it felt less responsive but my speed was about what I normally do on my track bike there. so who knows.
-On the small frame, only the front water bottle cage is useable, and only for small water bottles. Gonna have to give up a jersey pocket for a second if I want to bring
+The pedal force logo matches the orange/yellow of my team kit perfectly!!!!
-Unscientific weight ~16ish pounds. I shoulda went Red!

Is there anything quite as nice as a shiny new frame and the sound of a drivetrain?

Again, a long ride is pending this sunday, and thats hills, so a much more detailed report is pending as well.
Old 04-18-08, 01:59 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pelikan
Quick ride report (with comparison to other bikes):

Today I had to do flat intervals. I usually do these on my track bike at the Polo Fields (its velodrome like except part of Golden Gate Park, not banked and the occasional soccer player, runner and/or dog walker walking in your path), but with only a front brake attached to the RS2, it seemed like a perfect chance to shake out any bugs and have my tools close by.

I did mostly laps, and took a few laps around the GGP Crit loop to so some slight uphill/downhill on jacked up roads.

+The frame handles bumps superbly! It's like a full suspension bike compared to my Giant TCR Limited or Fuji Track Pro. It is so comfortable. I can see this for long rides, long ass road races and descending but not so much crits or lots & lots of climbing or hammer fests.
-The frame does not seem quite as stiff, its not soft but especially compared to the Giant (identical spec or shared parts except for a Ritchey Crank VS R700 on Rs2), when I went to jump its just not as responsive. This might be me putting a 90 stem, which was waaay to short. I would occasionally hit the bars with my legs, so I think I may of naturally adjusted my standing position and used diff muscles and/or bad form. I'ma try a 110 I have and see if that makes any difference.
+/-Sitting down I noticed it felt less responsive but my speed was about what I normally do on my track bike there. so who knows.

-On the small frame, only the front water bottle cage is useable, and only for small water bottles. Gonna have to give up a jersey pocket for a second if I want to bring
+The pedal force logo matches the orange/yellow of my team kit perfectly!!!!
-Unscientific weight ~16ish pounds. I shoulda went Red!

Is there anything quite as nice as a shiny new frame and the sound of a drivetrain?

Again, a long ride is pending this sunday, and thats hills, so a much more detailed report is pending as well.
You should try a side entry bottle cage like the Arundel Sideloader

Red, correct.

Almost nothing!
Old 04-18-08, 03:17 PM
RoyIII

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took mine out for about an hour this afternoon and it is really a fine ride. It handles the chip seal roads very well. Very smooth handling bike. The bike seems to blend in with the rider - It feels like it fits perfectly; like this is the bike I'm supposed to be riding - my Gios Compact Pro feels the same way. No hands on a quick downhill, no problem. Does good against a strong wind. I used a little higher gears. I had to dial in the shifters a little bit better, and the Rol Race SL's arent here yet. This ride was on the record open pros. This weekend I'm going to try out what passes for hills around here. This bike is a real find.
Old 04-18-08, 09:21 PM
neospazzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My LBS gave me some bad news today while building my RS2. Nothing to do with the frame or fork, but my inexcusable forgetfulness about the incompatibility issue between my 2007 Fulcrum Racing Zeros and the SRAM Red cassette. My build isn't going to be done until next weekend. Now I am just waiting for a compatible freehub body to come in so I can load my SRAM Red cassette into the FRZ wheel.

Now I appreciate having two bikes instead of upgrading my only one as now I can still ride my old bike. Yes, I thought about telling my LBS to load the SRAM Red cassette into my Rolf Elans (from my old bike) and finishing the RS2 build, but the OCP in me wants the FRZ wheels to take the new RS2 on its first ride. I can wait.
Old 04-19-08, 05:56 AM
BackRoadsBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully I will finish my build today. I just need to have the excess steerer cut, then run my brake cables and tune everything. I can't wait.
Old 04-19-08, 10:13 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*giggle*

Was pumping up the tires on one of the other bikes when the doorbell rang .. Funny how things work out. If there hadn't been traffic from hell on the way to the dumpster (Saturday chores for people who dwell in rural areas), I would have dumped the trash, been back home within 1 hour and been out on the bike and would have missed the post man.

Alas, traffic delayed me, I came back home right at noon JUST in time for the doorbell.

On the box: "Red 58cm"

Oh joy ..

That is all .. going biking now.

later.

Old 04-19-08, 11:39 AM
dsilver668
Chasing the Peloton!

Bikes: K2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woot Woot. We expect completed build photos from you by this evening Frank.. LOL
Old 04-19-08, 03:55 PM
6thElement
It's carbon dontcha know.

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
My frame seems to be AWOL, PF says ring DHL, DHL still haven't received a package in the 10 days since it supposedly shipped :/
Old 04-19-08, 04:59 PM
bdc88
Aero & Light is Right.

Bikes: English Custom Build, Cervelo SLC, Carbon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH LIFE IS SO GOOD.

Stay tuned as something wicked is on its way!

UFC takes priority tonight.
Old 04-19-08, 05:26 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone take a picture of their front der. clamp on the frame? Does it fit nicely? The indentation doesn't seem to match the clamp provided by PF. The frames I've seen with this kind of indentation usually had the der haner riveted on to the tube. I'm kind of confused.
Old 04-19-08, 05:46 PM
stevesbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't have a camera handy but the clamp should go above the indentation, which is intended to give clearance to the arm of the derailleur. Best bet is to install your crank and then set the derailleur height relative to the large chainring. Depending on maker, it should go a few mm's above the large chainring.
Old 04-19-08, 05:57 PM
stevesbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brief report: built up a 58cm black frame yesterday, mostly SRAM force with red crank, easton ec90 post, SLR saddle, ec70 bar, reynolds alta race with a powertap SL hub. Took it out today for a 4 hour ride through the Santa Monica Mts, and am I ever impressed with this frame. It climbs like a rocket--is really efficient in terms of transferring power to the road-inspires hard climbing. The frame feels stiff to me--I didn't notice any flex with out of the saddle climbing with some hard 400+ watt efforts. Wil race it during the week to see how it handles crits...

I was also particularly impressed with its handling on descents. Had it up to 53mph on one descent and it felt very stable. Tracks nicely through corners--took it down a technical 10+% descent and it held a line nicely through corners. Some frames become unstable when you enter a corner with too much speed and need to brake hard, but this frame remained stable and inspired hard descenting (the conti 4000s are also in my opinion superb gripping tires on descents). In sum, this frame has superb road manners--looking forward to racing it.
Old 04-19-08, 07:12 PM
Proximo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesbike
Best bet is to install your crank and then set the derailleur height relative to the large chainring. Depending on maker, it should go a few mm's above the large chainring.
If you look at Park Tools repair site for the article on adjusting the front derailleur, they use the thickness of a US penny to set the gap between the large chainring teeth and the bottom of the FD cage. That's what I do (with just a bit of slop) and it works perfectly every time.

https://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Last edited by Proximo; 04-19-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 07:31 PM
MMELVIS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't heard squat. I'll work out my frustration by watching St. Pierre pound the sand out of Matt Serra.
Old 04-20-08, 12:01 AM
bdc88
Aero & Light is Right.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serra was a second rate fighter compared to St. Pierre tonight. I am glad that I put everything on hold to watch Serra get the snot beat out of him.
Old 04-20-08, 05:11 AM
BackRoadsBiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my steerer tube cut yesterday. Now I just need to tune everything up. Shame it's going to pour rain all day. Grrrrr.
Old 04-20-08, 07:47 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 and sunny. Going on a date with the RS (not the RS2) .. The RS2 is still getting dolled up. She's got sexy curves.
Old 04-20-08, 09:33 AM
bdc88
Aero & Light is Right.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed my headset (FSA Orbit CE Compatible Headset c/w split crown race) yesterday and noticed that the bearings are not the dimensions. It actually says this on the bearings themselves. There is a top bearing and a bottom bearing. I also took my calipers to them and they are not the same and the measurements on the bearings are bang on.

I did not pay attention at first and when I had put it together the cover was sticking up about 2-3mm. I took it all apart and looked at the writing on the bearings. I also could see that the bevel on the inside of the bearings was different and one was a shade bigger in diameter on the inside.

So if anyone is having problems with the FSA Orbit CE Compatible Headset I would say take it apart switch the bearings around and put it back together. I have no space issues on the crown/headtube area and I have no space issues on the cover/stem area.

It fit perfect once I actually paid attention to what I was doing and forgot that I was like an excited kid at Christmas.

The only thing that I would ever change is to get a carbon cover instead of the black aluminum one that is on there currently. Carbon would fit the build a lot better and you will understand when I present the bike later.
Old 04-20-08, 10:29 AM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the by, I dunno what all the hoopla was a few pages back. The Cane Creek IS8-i fit/worked perfectly the first time. No unusual gaps (at least no different from my other 4 bikes, including the one with a CK headset).
Old 04-20-08, 12:00 PM
Proximo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the by, I dunno what all the hoopla was a few pages back. The Cane Creek IS8-i fit/worked perfectly the first time. No unusual gaps (at least no different from my other 4 bikes, including the one with a CK headset).
Ditto. I installed mine last night and it fit perfectly.
Old 04-20-08, 12:20 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i finished it up about 90%. Still need the FD clamp (tuesday) and gotta figure out my seatpost problem...

None the less, i took it around the block. My initial feelings (granted with no seat).

very responsive. Not sure what people were saying in that regard. I stomp, she goes...frame seems very stiff

I've never ridden CF but i can def. tell a difference between my aluminum frames, bumps aren't as jarring...i could get use to that.

No i'm merely more excited to get the whole thing done
Old 04-20-08, 01:43 PM
FrankBattle 
SilentRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need pedals and cages, the bar tape shows up tomorrow ..

Theoretical weight sans pedals, cages, bar tape, chain = 14.41 lbs (Actual weight so far = 14.44 lbs); Projected theoretical weight, all in (sans computer) = 16.23 lbs.

For not trying [save for the SRAM Red], this seems respectable.

timmy,

I started with Aluminum, then all CF, then more CF and now have a steel bike. Though it's only been a few rides on the steel, my god it feels better on the road than the CF. Talk about vibration absorption. Have you ever tried steel? If so, how does it compare?

Last edited by FrankBattle; 04-20-08 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 02:23 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

timmy,

I started with Aluminum, then all CF, then more CF and now have a steel bike. Though it's only been a few rides on the steel, my god it feels better on the road than the CF. Talk about vibration absorption. Have you ever tried steel? If so, how does it compare?
I'm slowling getting my dads old schwin back together, which i rode as a child...but too "young" to notice how it rides. I think when i got my first road bike i was amazed how how it felt, and i was drawn to how "in touch" with the road it felt. Now i've realized what that is and it's not exactly a good thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.