Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

List of all eMTB's with the Shimano M8000 system and Di2 shifting

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

List of all eMTB's with the Shimano M8000 system and Di2 shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 06:13 PM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
List of all eMTB's with the Shimano E8000 system with Di2 shifting option

NOTE: I corrected the title on this post from M8000 to E8000, but it doesn’t appear the title is updating.

I'd like to see a list of all the eMTB's that use the Shimano STePS E8000 motor system with Di2 shifting option. The only one I currently know of is the Focus Jam 2 Pro 29 that I can't find anywhere in Southern California (or anywhere in the USA for that matter). Even the dealers that come up on the Focus site don't have Focus E-bikes. Not sure what's up with that?

So what are all the eMTB's that use the new Shimano "mountain bike" E8000 motor system with Di2 electric shifting option?

Last edited by NoPhart; 03-08-18 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-08-17, 08:01 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Why the Shimano motor?

I get some folks really want Di2 shifting. I have had it and like it, but I would not rule out a bike without it.

As for motors, I am a big fan of the Bosch, and the new Haibikes with it are getting rave reviews.
Old 03-08-17, 08:02 PM
Kindaslow

By the way, I do not know of any bikes with the set-up you asked about, sorry for getting sidetracked.
Old 03-09-17, 06:48 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Why the Shimano motor?

I get some folks really want Di2 shifting. I have had it and like it, but I would not rule out a bike without it.

As for motors, I am a big fan of the Bosch, and the new Haibikes with it are getting rave reviews.
First off, I want to try this new system out.

Second, I have huge confidence in Shimano products.

Third, I have ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE early on and would have bought one if that Shimano system was designed to handle "off-road" use. Hands down the best general E-bike I've ridden. Quality components that don't need upgrading. Solid firm feel. Smooth and quick IGH. The electric shifting and auto gear change at stop to the gear of your choice is awesome for commuting!

Fourth, I have ridden Bosch/Yamaha Haibikes and they are okay, but have a long way to go in the "feels like a MTB" area.

Fifth, I'm beginning to think less is more when it comes to assist on a MTB. Weight and feel are more important than power for MTB riding.

Repeat #2, I have HUGE confidence in Shimano products and think they will be a key player in the end game with constant refinement and product support; more than any other.
Old 03-09-17, 06:53 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
By the way, I do not know of any bikes with the set-up you asked about, sorry for getting sidetracked.
I have been told the Focus Jam 2 Pro 29 will be arriving in June or July. Hoping there are others with the M8000 that I can also try out.
Old 03-09-17, 08:30 AM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by NoPhart
First off, I want to try this new system out.

Second, I have huge confidence in Shimano products.

Third, I have ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE early on and would have bought one if that Shimano system was designed to handle "off-road" use. Hands down the best general E-bike I've ridden. Quality components that don't need upgrading. Solid firm feel. Smooth and quick IGH. The electric shifting and auto gear change at stop to the gear of your choice is awesome for commuting!

Fourth, I have ridden Bosch/Yamaha Haibikes and they are okay, but have a long way to go in the "feels like a MTB" area.

Fifth, I'm beginning to think less is more when it comes to assist on a MTB. Weight and feel are more important than power for MTB riding.

Repeat #2, I have HUGE confidence in Shimano products and think they will be a key player in the end game with constant refinement and product support; more than any other.
The only EMTB that I have ridden is the Spesh Levo. It was extremely fun, but did not feel as much like a MTB as I would want. The Haibike with the Bosch system is the way I went for my commuter, given the feedback on them related to function and reliability. I have not heard of any other bikes that compare on those criteria. However, both the Spesh and Stromer were more fun to ride around the block. I recently read that the newest Haibike MTB is the most like a normal MTB yet. So, it seems like efforts are there to achieve that goal. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 03-09-17, 08:52 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you haven't ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE with Shimano mid-drive you really should try it. The electric shifting and automatic gear reset once stopped are awesome features. I haven't heard of any major issues with that Shimano mid-drive. The bike itself feels like a solid firm road bike with very little flex.

Focus E-bikes seems to be the only manufacturer that has boldly stated their goal is an eMTB that feels like a normal MTB. Their Project-X and stated goals are in line with my personal thoughts.

The Bosch CX felt good and powerful, but not MTB like IMHO. I don't know if it can even get as close to the same as I would like. All I want is additional climbing legs. The rest of the time I just want a light weight human powered "bicycle." Stealth is good too.
Old 03-09-17, 12:51 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I tried out a Trek city bike with the Shimano motor system at my LBS. Feels pretty nice, but it had a normal rear derailleur. Electronic shifting can be cool, but I think it has more benefit on a 2x system on a regular bike, where it can automatically trim the FD as the RD shifts through the cassette. On 1x it doesn't seem that important to me. And automatically shifting down when stopping seems like a huge gimmick. Just shift it down already, especially with IGH. Are we really that lazy? Oh yeah, most Americans drive automatic gearbox cars, so I guess so.
Old 03-09-17, 01:36 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shifting will become a pain on flats in traffic with signals, you'll see. There's so much extra power with an E-bike that the gears spaced out much wider than normal human powered bikes will become the norm for E-bikes. That's why I put a simple 33% gap 3spd IGH on my current BBS02 build and geared it like a 2spd with granny low. The IGH's with more gears let you get crazy fast speeds (if needed/desired), while retaining climbing ability.

Don't knock the electric shifting or auto gear reset at stop until you've tried it. I realize it isn't for everyone, but I found that Shimano system pretty sweet indeed.

I'm hoping the E8000 arrives soon in the USA. Really want to rent an eMTB with that system for a weekend romp.

Last edited by NoPhart; 03-09-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 01:58 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

We'll see. Most of the places where I ride my utility bike, I don't really do much stopping. I live in a very spread out suburban area, and take residential streets as much as possible. Other streets have lights that are very spread out. On my commute I have 5 lights in 15 miles, and 4 of those are contained within a 1 mile stretch, and most of them are green most of the time. Going to the store, there are only 2 lights that I deal with. Going to my parents' house, there are no traffic lights to deal with.
Old 03-09-17, 02:03 PM
PatrickGSR94

Oh you mean the STEPS E8000 unit. It's already here. The bike I tried a couple weeks ago at my LBS was the Trek Lift+ with the STEPS motor unit.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1325601-2017/

M8000 is the Shimano XT MTB 11-speed groupset.
Old 03-09-17, 04:47 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Oh you mean the STEPS E8000 unit. It's already here. The bike I tried a couple weeks ago at my LBS was the Trek Lift+ with the STEPS motor unit.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../1325601-2017/

M8000 is the Shimano XT MTB 11-speed groupset.
Oops! You are right, I'm talking about the Shimano STePS E8000. For some reason I thought it was "M" for Mountain. My bad. I'm the king of typos, believe me (as Trump would say). Lol... (EDITED PRIOR POSTS - THX)

The original Shimano STePS on the Raleigh Misceo iE is different than the new Shimano STePS E8000 which is (IIRC) the off-road version of the STePS system. I don't believe they are the same, as the original was not rated for "off-road" use.

That Trek you posted probably has the same original STePS system as the Raleigh, not the new E8000 MTB version.

Last edited by NoPhart; 03-09-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 08:16 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So here we are in 2018 and I’m sure several manufacturers have adopted the new Shimano STePS E8000 ebike system. Has anyone got list of all the brands now offering the Shimano STePS E8000 eMTB mid-drive setup?

Sea Otter is coming. I bet there will be several brands demoing at that event this year.
Old 03-20-18, 01:45 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So here we are in 2018 and I’m sure several manufacturers have adopted the new Shimano STePS E8000 ebike system. Has anyone got list of all the brands now offering the Shimano STePS E8000 eMTB mid-drive setup?

Sea Otter is coming. I bet there will be several brands demoing at that event this year.
Bump
Old 03-22-18, 02:32 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If you need an electric for commuting that shifts down automatically, I think this bike will do it for you:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (8.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-22-18, 02:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ask at your favorite bike shop, I got other things to do
Old 03-24-18, 07:52 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
If you need an electric for commuting that shifts down automatically, I think this bike will do it for you:
Cute! Should go well with lycra...
Old 03-24-18, 07:56 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's going to come down to a suspension choice soon with many manufacturers adopting the Shimano STePS E8000 Di2 option assist system. Even Bikes Direct has the HALe now, but not up on its' suspension.
Old 03-29-18, 03:16 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'd like to see a list of all the eMTB's that use the Shimano STePS E8000 motor system with Di2 shifting option.
So what are all the eMTB's that use the new Shimano "mountain bike" E8000 motor system with Di2 electric shifting option?
  1. First off, I want to try this new system out.
  2. Second, I have huge confidence in Shimano products.
  3. Third, I have ridden the Raleigh Misceo iE early on and would have bought one if that Shimano system was designed to handle "off-road" use. Hands down the best general E-bike I've ridden. Quality components that don't need upgrading. Solid firm feel. Smooth and quick IGH. The electric shifting and auto gear change at stop to the gear of your choice is awesome for commuting!
  4. Fourth, I have ridden Bosch/Yamaha Haibikes and they are okay, but have a long way to go in the "feels like a MTB" area.
  5. Fifth, I'm beginning to think less is more when it comes to assist on a MTB. Weight and feel are more important than power for MTB riding.
  6. Repeat #2, I have HUGE confidence in Shimano products and think they will be a key player in the end game with constant refinement and product support; more than any other.
No pedelecs with automtic/IGH shifting and Shimano x8000 at the moment.
https://www.ebike-base.com/search/advanced-search/

1. you can try E8000 with chain gear or Di2 on an regular bicycle.
  2. Bosch and Yamaha are leaders the market. Bosch has high quality levels and controls, does bring technology from the automobile sector into bicycles (motor, ABS for Pedelecs). Many parts are even "Made in Europe".
  3. Did you ride an Bosch pedelec with automatic IGH too?
  4. You can choose the Assist Mode/Level of support you want/need. Like with Bosch in ECO-mode, the bike feels the same like without motor.
  5. Less weight is more expensive. For MTB riding in general power, grip and range are important. Weight doens't matter with an Pedelec, since the amount of support does fully compensate this. Above 25km/h, there's no difference to an regular bike.
  6. Bosch is the leader in automobile electronics and inventor of navigation systems for cars. Quality on products in other areas is much better than from other companies. It's a more open system than Shimano, because Bosch supports all gear hubs (Rohloff, NuVincy and Shimano Nexus Di2 + Alfine Di2) https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/produ...?setLanguage=1
Old 04-02-18, 09:40 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the search source. It looks like that is more European based than USA based, but still a great source.

IMHO Shimano knows bikes better than Bosch or Yamaha. In my VW and Porsche days in the 70’s and maybe even into the 80’s Bosch electrical products seemed to have an edge in quality, but at a huge price. Starting in the 90’s on other electronic component producers seems to catch up and offer similar quality for much better prices. An electric bike is a bike first and electric assist second. Shimano seems to be yet another company that has been able to produce quality electronic components, while still keeping their bicycle components and experience top notch.

So far the Focus Jam2 line with Shimano STePS and Di2 option remains at the top of my list. Although I haven’t ridden one yet, from what I have read it has a bicycle (MTB) feel and Q-factor with the same quality suspension as their non-electric assist MTB’s.

Hoping to test ride one soon.
Old 04-04-18, 11:36 AM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the search source. It looks like that is more European based than USA based, but still a great source.

IMHO Shimano knows bikes better than Bosch or Yamaha. In my VW and Porsche days in the 70’s and maybe even into the 80’s Bosch electrical products seemed to have an edge in quality, but at a huge price. Starting in the 90’s on other electronic component producers seems to catch up and offer similar quality for much better prices. An electric bike is a bike first and electric assist second. Shimano seems to be yet another company that has been able to produce quality electronic components, while still keeping their bicycle components and experience top notch.

So far the Focus Jam2 line with Shimano STePS and Di2 option remains at the top of my list. Although I haven’t ridden one yet, from what I have read it has a bicycle (MTB) feel and Q-factor with the same quality suspension as their non-electric assist MTB’s.

Hoping to test ride one soon.
I've been searching along similar lines and the US options seem limited so far. e-mtb with shimano steps e8000 (though not necessarily Di2 shifting)

1. Focus Jam2 (when available)
2. Bikesdirect hal eboost pro
3. Commencal meta power (to me this is the best budget option at $4000)
4. Bulls --E-CORE EVO EN Di2 27.5+; --E-CORE Di2 FS 27.5+ (when available...later springtime)
5. Orbea wild
6. Scott e-spark and e-genius
7. Pivot $huttle.

Unfortunately many Euro brands aren't available, at least not yet. Merida has several models but I've read they supply for specialized so unlikely any of their ebikes will come to the US due to agreement not to compete here. Canyon spectral:ON looks pretty good, similar to the commencal, but Canyon told me probably not available until late summer for 2019 models at the earliest. Too bad REI won't bring Ghost ebikes to USA.

Last edited by justin70; 04-04-18 at 06:40 PM.