Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh C&V shops and riding

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 07:13 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

I am visiting family in Pittsburgh until Friday even and brought one of my bikes just in case I have some free time to ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for C&V shops to visit and areas to ride? I am completely unfamiliar with the cycling scene here. Thanks!
Old 08-03-17, 08:01 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I can't help much with local knowledge, but definitely visit Bicycle Heaven.
Old 08-03-17, 09:11 PM
howellhandmade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding can be tough due to traffic. There are some nice trails, if a little busy on weekends. You're close to the Passage trail that goes all the way to DC. North Shore and "Jail" trails are handy. There are a number of bike lanes in Pittsburgh, but they aren't really well connected, so it kind of depends where you are staying. If you select "bike" on google maps the lanes will show up in green. Highland Park area isn't too bad; both North and South Park have loops you can ride. I do quite a bit of riding in Fox Chapel, if you look around the country club you'll see what there is. Saxonburg Road is a good "spine" for a ride. You can park at Hartwood Acres and go as far as you want, gets better the farther you go. There are some good roads and great climbs north and east of town (look around Saxonburg on google maps) but it kind of takes a guide (I'm out of town, sorry) and most of the back roads are narrow, twisty, have plenty of blind corners and no shoulder. When you get into Amish country, like up around Grove City, there are some nice wide shoulders. There are several clubs that have regular rides, which I've never joined but know they're around. You could try your legs on some of the Dirty Dozen hills.

I don't know any C&V shops, but there are some funky little ones in Lawrencevile. Bicycle Heaven is great if you like old Stingrays, it is chock full of old bikes and bike stuff and memorabilia but if you're looking for road parts there isn't much. My friend Alan who works at BikeTek in Squirrel Hill is super connected to the biking scene and could probably give you some tips.