Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Three Foot Law in NY State Assembly

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 06:29 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

It’s about time, other states have had a three foot law for several years now:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...intent=support
Old 12-31-20, 09:15 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
The problem with this bill is that no one is going to know about the law and the only time it will likely come into play is after a cyclist has been injured or killed.

I would much rather see an educational campaign that includes some type of tip for how drivers can determine how far away they are from a cyclist. Most of the drivers along my daily commute sway TOO FAR to the left when they pass me, causing danger for other drivers - especially those in oncoming lanes.

I also don't believe the problem is JUST with motorists.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 12-31-20, 12:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
It's better to have the law state 3 ft. then the current, which only states a safe passing distance.

They would need signage to follow, stating that 3ft is the law.
Old 12-31-20, 02:17 PM
Papa Tom

I have tried many times, while driving, to come up with some kind of reference point -- sort of like the ones we use for parallel parking or other maneuvers - that could be used for passing a cyclist. My aim is to find an object that is in the same location on every car on the road and can be used as a visual yardstick for placing distance between the driver and the cyclist.

I really think a cool little "trick" like that will stick with motorists better than a law that puts a virtually impossible task on a driver. Most drivers can't even estimate how much space is between them and the car behind them when trying to pull into a parking space, and it's usually WAY more than necessary. How are they/we going to guess at "three feet" while in a moving vehicle?
Old 12-31-20, 06:49 PM
streetstomper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Laws are worthless without enforcement or even education, and there won't be any enforcement of this. Most drivers already on the road will never know about it and those who might see it in updated DMV drivers manuals from now on won't remember it. There's a NYS law requiring drivers to yield to pedestrians, but I still get cut off regularly. A few days ago, a nitwit did a right turn in front of me while I crossed with the signal, at the same time yelling, "Obey the law!" at me.
Likes For streetstomper:
Old 01-01-21, 01:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
It's not going to change anything unless they put signs up on road where there is bike traffic.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-01-21, 02:35 PM
Papa Tom

And again I will ask: How can a driver judge when he/she is three feet or more from a cyclist? We all know how hard it is to parallel park in a space between two other cars, the greatest difficulty being estimating the space between your bumper and the car behind/in front of you.
Old 01-02-21, 02:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
And again I will ask: How can a driver judge when he/she is three feet or more from a cyclist? We all know how hard it is to parallel park in a space between two other cars, the greatest difficulty being estimating the space between your bumper and the car behind/in front of you.
As I recall, the existing "safe passing distance" law in NY State was enacted as opposed to a "3 ft. passing", as the consensus of assorted police chiefs queried by the bill supporters indicated the police had no method to enforce a 3ft. passing law. Which is absurd. It's likely easier for a LEO to observe a dangerous pass (if they are present to see it) than it is to see somebody talking on the phone.

As well, if you get rear ended while cycling on a shoulder, having 3ft as the law is instantly a violation, where as a "safe passing" is much too variable and open to interpretation. Is why most states with such laws state "3 ft.". Hopefully this gets passed.
Old 01-03-21, 10:57 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by Steve B.
As I recall, the existing "safe passing distance" law in NY State was enacted as opposed to a "3 ft. passing", as the consensus of assorted police chiefs queried by the bill supporters indicated the police had no method to enforce a 3ft. passing law. Which is absurd. It's likely easier for a LEO to observe a dangerous pass (if they are present to see it) than it is to see somebody talking on the phone.

As well, if you get rear ended while cycling on a shoulder, having 3ft as the law is instantly a violation, where as a "safe passing" is much too variable and open to interpretation. Is why most states with such laws state "3 ft.". Hopefully this gets passed.
Good point about the "safe passing distance" rule being too ambiguous to stand up in a lawsuit.

I guess there are two ways to look at it: From the legal standpoint, and from the safety standpoint - meaning its effectiveness in avoiding collisions in the first place. I think it's a good idea to have specific parameters for legal matters; but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I also wish there was a way to educate drivers as to what "safe passing distance" translates to when you are behind the wheel. Most drivers are not looking to cause accidents or harm cyclists; they just don't know how to pass one safely.
Old 01-05-21, 06:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I have a PhD in parallel parking. With practice it becomes second nature.

Motorists can err on the side of caution when determining clearance. I live in PA. We’ve had a 4’ law for nearly 9 years. The issue is compliance and education about the law.
Old 01-28-21, 12:05 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
One more law for motorists to ignore. I think the intent is good. Perhaps it will help if there is an accident. GlennR 's sign example is helpful. But it still comes down to motorist with being responsible. That is the week link.

By thotbike, thanks for posting this so at least we know what new cycling related laws are being proposed and voted on.