Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

To drill or not to drill my NJS frame?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 11:35 PM
Litespeedy
_______Member

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, Unknown brand steel track bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a retired NJS Kiyo Miazawa frame with full Suntour track group and Suntour dropouts on the frame, almost all NJS with Nitto bars/stem. The racer who previously owned it has his name stamped and painted in Japanese charachters on the bottom bracket shell. He is called Sensei or Master in the links we found. I built it up for fun as a winter project. But now I can't decide what to do with it...

If I keep it, I will drill the fork to accept a front brake. But I keep seeing negative comments about doing this. It's an older bike and is heavy by todays standards so it won't be raced seriously again...(although I might give it another run at Marymoor Velodrome).

I am about $1200 into it.

My question is...Is it worth more undrilled to a collector, or drilled for a really fun rider?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1a.jpg (98.3 KB, 273 views)
Old 05-30-09, 12:04 AM
EivlEvo
Look at all these buttons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just run another drilled fork and save the original?
Old 05-30-09, 12:49 AM
Litespeedy
_______Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, this is the problem.

I can buy a vintage Suntour brake, lever and cable etc. for about $100.00 and can drill the fork myself.

Adding a fork with brake, bars and stem adds about $300+ to the build. I would be able to switch back and forth. But the original fork looks so cool with the hearts in the fork crown...

Drilling might add value to make a beautiful bike "road ready. Or I can spend more money on all those parts...which I don't want to do.

I also think this bike might be close to being a collectors item. Whaddayathink?

Please Comment!
Old 05-30-09, 04:22 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
You could purchase a clamp-on keirin training brake and avoid the question altogether.

In your shoes, I'd buy a new fork before drilling the other one. To answer your question, it's worth more undrilled; however, it's also worth more (in a different way) when you get what you want out of it. Get the best of both worlds with the clamp-on brake.
Old 05-30-09, 06:11 AM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeedy
Yes, this is the problem.

I can buy a vintage Suntour brake, lever and cable etc. for about $100.00 and can drill the fork myself.

Adding a fork with brake, bars and stem adds about $300+ to the build. I would be able to switch back and forth. But the original fork looks so cool with the hearts in the fork crown...

Drilling might add value to make a beautiful bike "road ready. Or I can spend more money on all those parts...which I don't want to do.

I also think this bike might be close to being a collectors item. Whaddayathink?

Please Comment!
Why would you need to add a bar and stem? You know that these things are interchangeable, right? A replacement track fork costs $70 through bikeisland.com and comes pre-drilled, and a caliper should cost all of $10 to anyone remotely familiar with buying on eBay or who knows another "bike guy" with that kind of stuff laying around.

Drilling this bike will definitely not add value - no way, no how. Bikes are only original once, though I'm not sure this bike is a collector's item, since the US market is currently flooded with track bikes of all types, including thousands of keirin bikes, and Kiyo isn't a particularly collectible marquee. Clamp-on Keirin brakes are widely available now - I think I paid $40 for mine, which included the lever and caliper.

Regardless, this post belongs in SS/FG, not Track.
Old 05-30-09, 09:22 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Please don't!

Anyhow, if you drill you may find you don't have the clearance necessary to get the pads on the rim. Those forks are often very tight. The clamp-on keirin brake is the correct answer.

Here you go:
https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=3751
Old 05-30-09, 02:20 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeedy
No, it's not. Nobody really cares about NJS anymore. It was just a cool "I got this rare thing and you don't" badge that was only valid 3-4 years ago. It was cool because:
- It was foreign
- It was high quality
- It was rare

Having all of those 3 qualities would make anything in the hipster world valuable...for a while.

What many people fail to realize is that NJS just means that it was built to a standard that was set 20-25 years ago. It's nice, but it's old style. Would you want a car that was made in the style of a car from 25 years ago? I wouldn't. It'd be nice to look at, but I'd spend my money on a modern car if it costs the same.

If it's worth something to you, that's cool. But, "collector's item", no.

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
The clamp-on keirin brake is the correct answer.
+1

Problem solved!
Old 06-01-09, 03:07 PM
amorrow

Bikes: Witt Custom / Cinelli SuperCorsa / Raleigh Cross, nothing original / Very old Bianchi Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't drill it. Go down to Recycled Cycles and buy a fork.

If I were a prospective buyer, I would never buy a bike with a drilled fork. These fork crowns were not designed for that and while I'm sure you have a steady hand, I would question the alignment and quality of the job.

Don't drill it.
Old 06-01-09, 04:47 PM
bonechilling
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's another point worth making - putting a hole right through the middle of the crown could very easily result in failure given that these forks were not designed or intended to be drilled for a brake. I doubt it'd snap right under you, but I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if small cracks eventually developed around the hole
Old 06-08-09, 01:01 AM
Litespeedy
_______Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone,

The clamp on brakes suggested by queerpunk and babypuke are clearly the best plan. Drilling a fork with such a tight clearance could cause weakness... and, as you said, it might not line up properly with a standard brake.

I had been considering two sets of everything (fork, bars etc.) so that I could easily "swap them out" and still try to race this bike at the local velodrome. But the clamp on brakes are a great solution and go along with the NJS thing...

I really like the NJS Keirin racing and am in love with this bike.

Thank you,
rj
Old 06-21-09, 04:34 AM
Baby Puke

Thought I'd post some pics of my new clamp-on brake for those who might be interested. It's a hell of an eyesore, but it works.

As you can see, if I had drilled the fork it would not be possible to set the pads on the rim.
Attached Images
brake1.jpg (42.0 KB, 146 views)
brake2.jpg (45.4 KB, 138 views)
brake3.jpg (42.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 06-24-09, 12:36 PM
PistaRider311

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Schwinn Varsity (fixed), Mongoose Dirt Jumper.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road style brake levers on track drops make me sad.
Old 06-24-09, 06:53 PM
Baby Puke

Aw, don't be sad. It comes off when the bike is on the track. It's only for road training.
Old 07-20-09, 07:34 PM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PistaRider311
Road style brake levers on track drops make me sad.

totally common thing for on-road training by keirin riders (these guys are still in school). so....don't be sad.
Old 07-27-09, 05:43 PM
seajaye

Bikes: 650b traditional rando, 700c SS rando, 700c fast rando..... plus a mountain, folder, and retired urban track in the basement

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting they put rear brakes on...
Old 08-16-09, 08:30 AM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's because they haven't heard that in the US hipster community, it is totally lame to not be able to skid brakeless. And therefore put the brake on the rear.

TBH i haven't asked them. I saw a Keirin dude riding along Tamagawa near the Keio Keirin track last week. If I see anyone again I will ask them.
Old 08-16-09, 08:41 AM
Baby Puke

The Don, we are neighbors. I live in Mukogaokayuen, and I just rode at Keiokaku today. Are you riding track in Japan?
Old 08-24-09, 05:44 AM
steppinthefunk 
Designer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how about a drum brake?
Old 08-28-09, 10:44 AM
kfm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
You could purchase a clamp-on keirin training brake and avoid the question altogether.

In your shoes, I'd buy a new fork before drilling the other one. To answer your question, it's worth more undrilled; however, it's also worth more (in a different way) when you get what you want out of it. Get the best of both worlds with the clamp-on brake.