Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 08:02 PM
tallgrass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle Route Help Needed

Hi, I'm new to the forum. So here is the question. I need to know the easiest (flattest) route between South Lake Union (Westlake side) and the U District, 50th and University Way. What is the best way to go and how much time should I allow.

I would really appreciate any advice- Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tallgrass; 06-30-11 at 12:11 PM. Reason: shorter post
Old 06-30-11, 12:07 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Two alternatives:

1. I just tried out using Google Maps, using the "bicycle" option, and it recommended the way I would take. Basically Fairhaven to Eastlake, across the University Bridge, then up to your address. Google maps is estimating that trip at about 26 minutes, which I say is fair.

There is a fair amount of traffic on Eastlake, so be careful there. You can take some side streets if you'd like to have a bit less traffic.

2. Google Maps shows an alternative as well -- instead of going up the east side of Lake Union, you can take the bike route through the parking lots that parallel Westlake Avenue up to the Fremont Bridge. Cross the Fremont Bridge, then get on the Burke Gilman trail and take it to the U-district. This is a bit longer, with less traffic. Some people don't like riding this route because the route through the Westlake Avenue parking lots can be a bit perilous (cars parking, not watching for bikes, etc.).

I know that where I work, bike commuters coming from the U-district debate these 2 options all the time.

#1 is a bit shorter; #2 is a bit longer. I think #2 would seem flatter as well.
Old 06-30-11, 12:13 PM
tallgrass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You for the information! Great suggestions, Thanks again!