Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cervelo S2 Cable routing/possible damage to frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-11, 07:21 PM
Jsiegs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I couldn't find the answer searching, so here's my question/story:

2010 Cervelo S2 with internal cable routing. I bought it used from someone who build it up themselves. Well, long story short, I crashed on my maiden ride (long story...just had inner ear surgery and have lingering vertigo I thought I was over but apparently am not). For the rest of the ride, I hear a creak, but everything looks good.

Well, I hear it when I spin the handlebars which led me to the internally routed rear brake cable - it doesn't look quite right where it enters the frame. I (hopefully) have attached pics. Pulling the cable out, it doesn't look like there is a metal cap (forgive my lack of knowing the right jargon please) over the cable housing where it enters the frame (can see this in one photo). It is Jagwire.

Is this an OK way to route it? Or should I have it fixed immediately? Judging by the pics, does it still look ok (the frame)? When I spin the bars to the left (and it pushes the housing to the outside) it makes a noise and looks to move something (possibly just paint). FYI - the black smudges to the right and just above where the cable enters are just grease smudges. But underneath, there is a little chip (but looks like just paint).

Thanks!

Old 11-28-11, 07:36 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you should use a ferule/cap. it doesn't fit a lot of the times because cervelo is heavy on the paint. use a good quality derailer style ferule with thick walls and bottom
Old 11-28-11, 07:37 PM
sideshow_bob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No it shouldn't be like that. It looks like the cable end cap is disappearing up the top tube. Take it to your LBS for a look. Worst comes to worst, while not structural, you may need to run cable outer the full length through the top tube. I have a BMC that I had problems with the cable stops and fixed by doing this. Sure it's a few grams heavier, but it also makes changing the inner much easier anyway.