Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride/Accident(of sorts)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride/Accident(of sorts)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 04:33 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride/Accident(of sorts)

I was coming home from a doctor's appointment. At one point, I was 'taking the lane when, I was passed by an SUV at a distance closer than the distance of my arm from my shoulder to my elbow. That was slightly unnerving, but not scary, just irritating.

Then, Just a couple miles after that, and still 'taking the lane', I was in the outside lane being passed by another vehicle that was completely in the passing lane. When he(yes it was a 'he', because he yelled at me to get on the sidewalk)started getting back into the outside lane, he promptly side-swiped the curb. I thought there was going to be a major accident from his stupidity.
Old 05-21-13, 04:50 PM
kalliergo 

Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between bad attitudes, dumb priorities and poor operating skills, the prevailing conditions on our roads leave a lot to be desired.

At least the second guy passed wide and waited to oversteer back into the travel lane until he had actually passed you. You know that was just luck.
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

~Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities
Old 05-21-13, 06:33 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kalliergo
Between bad attitudes, dumb priorities and poor operating skills, the prevailing conditions on our roads leave a lot to be desired.

At least the second guy passed wide and waited to oversteer back into the travel lane until he had actually passed you. You know that was just luck.
While he made the better pass of the two. He wasn't paying attention, anymore than the first driver. Because of hitting the curb, when he got back in the lane. I thought he was going to rollover, right in front of me.

The first driver, managed to still keep a hold of his vehicle.
Old 05-21-13, 08:27 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Proves what I read years ago... The THREE greatest drives that motivate humanity:

1. Survival;
2. Reproduction;
3. Telling someone else their business.

Dumbass #2 was so intent on telling you his delusion of what the law is, he almost crippled himself (and possibly you, too!)...W.T.F.
Old 05-21-13, 09:02 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Proves what I read years ago... The THREE greatest drives that motivate humanity:

1. Survival;
2. Reproduction;
3. Telling someone else their business.

Dumbass #2 was so intent on telling you his delusion of what the law is, he almost crippled himself (and possibly you, too!)...W.T.F.
Definitely not me, since I wasn't 'bumper-to-bumper', with the guy. When I saw him hit the curb, I was suddenly preparing for him to rollover. Thankfully, He didn't, for his sake, mine, and the rest of the PM rush hour traffic.

Last edited by Chris516; 05-21-13 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-21-13, 09:22 PM
kalliergo 

Bikes: Trek Valencia+, Dutch cargo bike, Karate Monkey, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I thought he was going to rollover, right in front of me.
Yeah, I can picture it. Pretty much just lucky that he didn't take you out or crush some hapless passerby.

Another episode of The Dumb & The Dangerous. I really think that American carmageddon must have developed at just the right pace to meet the criteria for slow-boiling of frogs. We have at least a couple of generations that have never experienced a built environment that was very much saner than we have today. Lots of folks can barely imagine that it could be different, or that there's anything wrong with it.
"What if we fail to stop the erosion of cities by automobiles?. . . In that case, we Americans will hardly need to ponder a mystery that has troubled men for millennia: What is the purpose of life? For us, the answer will be clear, established and for all practical purposes indisputable: The purpose of life is to produce and consume automobiles."

~Jane Jacobs, The Death and Life of Great American Cities
Old 05-21-13, 09:32 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Ha, yes , I get asked all the time if I'm one of those guys that wear tight pants and ride in the middle of the lane. I hope my replies help someone else out.
Old 05-22-13, 03:16 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kalliergo
Yeah, I can picture it. Pretty much just lucky that he didn't take you out or crush some hapless passerby.

Another episode of The Dumb & The Dangerous. I really think that American carmageddon must have developed at just the right pace to meet the criteria for slow-boiling of frogs. We have at least a couple of generations that have never experienced a built environment that was very much saner than we have today. Lots of folks can barely imagine that it could be different, or that there's anything wrong with it.
While I wasn't worried about him taking me out, you are definitely right about his possibly taking out a pedestrian with his actions.
Old 05-22-13, 07:06 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought VC prevented this?
Old 05-22-13, 07:41 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmv2
The second motorist from being an idiot after passing, no.
Old 05-22-13, 08:02 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
Over time it will help, but some are incurably stupid and/or belligerent. Taking the lane is something I do sparingly and with great caution.
Old 05-22-13, 02:25 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Over time it will help, but some are incurably stupid and/or belligerent. Taking the lane is something I do sparingly and with great caution.
I have paid for it, when I haven't 'taken the lane'. I am not belligerent about it. It is my legal right in the traffic code and, I do it because of my experience in not 'taking the lane'. The only thing I need to do, is go at a reasonable speed, pursuant to the speed limit on a given road.

But VC wasn't the point I was getting at in my original post, for this thread.

It was how, the motorist that did violate the state's 3ft.-passing law, didn't follow that up by hitting the curb. Yet, The motorist that didn't violate the states' passing, hit the side of the curb when changing back into the outside lane.

They both amounted to bad drivers.