Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Le Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 10:02 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Schwinn Le Tour

I have the 1979 La Tour and I was wondering how much it would cost to restore. One of the first things that come to mind would be the BB,and crankset, what size I need and which one would be decent to put on the bike. The next thing would be a wheel set. Again I don't need a top of the line set, just something in the middle of the road. I was thinking I would pick up the derailleurs on sale at Nashbar or something. I dropped my membership at e-bay so I can't go there. I was wondering how you spread the chainstay, for a 8 or 9 speed cassette. Thanks for any replys. George
Old 06-13-07, 10:08 AM
FLBandit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I coldset a MTB frame once. I used a threaded rod with nuts and washers spaced to the inside measurement of the frame. Then I just adjusted the nuts outward widening the frame to where I needed it. I also wrapped some nylon line around the brake bridge for extra support.
Old 06-13-07, 10:28 AM
silversmith
Yet another vegan biker

Bikes: Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the 1979 La Tour and I was wondering how much it would cost to restore. One of the first things that come to mind would be the BB,and crankset, what size I need and which one would be decent to put on the bike.

I picked up a Campagnolo Veloce double crank and BB on sale for 60 bucks for the pair.

The Campy BB is super smooth, but I doubt that I gained much in performance over the stock crankset.

The only other upgrade I made to my 77 Le Tour was to add a Shimano Mega Range freewheel.