Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rounded Torx Bolt Head

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rounded Torx Bolt Head

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 04:06 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Rounded Torx Bolt Head

More and more torx socket head bolts appear on bikes and it is too easy to make the mistake of putting in an Allen key and stripping it.

I've made that mistake at least a couple of times.

The other night I started to work on a bike that I stopped riding last winter.

Something happened to it on a ride where the rear shifting went to crap and in the field in poor lighting I had tried to adjust the cable tension at the derialleur cable clamp.

Last night I rediscovered that I had overtightened the cable clamp and rounded/stripped the socket.

Turns out that I had put an Allen key in a bolt that was torx and snugged it over-tight and rounded off the socket.

I forgot that it was Torx bolt. I guess I just put the bike away in disgust last winter (it's a fender rain weather bike).

So when I went to replace the shifter cable and some housing that had failed, I couldn't unscrew the cable clamp because it was stripped. I sprayed on some penetrating lube and put it away.

I went to bed.

Tonight I went to work on it. The Torx bolt head was a sort of conical type I haven't seen on a bike part. A big vise-grip wouldn't get a purchase on the bolt head.

Using a file I made two flats and broke the bolt free with vise-grips.

That was a relief. I didn't want to have to break out a drill, a vise, left handed bits and other tools.

I replaced the Torx bolt with a greased allen bolt.

How my spirit lifted when the bolt broke free. Like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I repaired the bike and will ride it tommorow and put the fenders back on soon for the winter rains which we hope will come.
Old 12-06-20, 06:27 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I typically look at the bolt head before going in with my tool. Though I haven't yet seen a cable anchor bolt that is Torx, I am curious what derailleur that is that uses that?

I do know a lot of stuff is moving to Torx or has been Torx a while (my Zipp Stem for instance is T25) but all in all I have never really had an issue. I did have a Boss that would use his Torx keys for Allen bolts but he is not a mechanic and was told to not do that and stopped.
Old 12-06-20, 06:50 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Tonight I went to work on it. The Torx bolt head was a sort of conical type I haven't seen on a bike part. A big vise-grip wouldn't get a purchase on the bolt head.
Using a file I made two flats and broke the bolt free with vise-grips.
A dremel with cutoff wheel make a slot and use a big screwdriver.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-06-20, 07:42 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Plus 1^ dedhed

I , as well, never heard of , or seen a torx bolt on a bike.

Of course.......all my bikes are 30 plus years old ....except one
Old 12-06-20, 09:30 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I typically look at the bolt head before going in with my tool.
This ^^.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-06-20, 09:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The first, and so far only, Torx bolts I have come across on my road bikes are the chainring bolts on Shimano HTII cranks which use a T30 bit. My only disc brake bike has centerlock rotors so I've avoided the T25 needed for 6-bolt rotors.
Old 12-06-20, 09:45 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Gotta be sure to use the correct tool for the job. My '98 Ranger has some torx bolts on it! I once owned an English made BSA motorcycle that I had to buy some English metric wrenches for. Had Japanese metric, but English metric is different. My "newest" bicycle is '06', haven't come across any torx on it.
Old 12-06-20, 10:32 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Originally Posted by dedhed
A dremel with cutoff wheel make a slot and use a big screwdriver.
Yeah, I thought of that method as well, but I don't have a decent cut-off wheel for my wimpy wanna-be Harbor Freight Dremel tool.

I saw the nice big file with a handle on my peg board and went to town with it.

🙂
Old 12-06-20, 10:39 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
File....EXCELLENT !!!!!!
Old 12-06-20, 11:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a 3T stem with Torx. It’s annoying, but not annoying enough for me to replace them. *shrug*
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-06-20, 11:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I once owned an English made BSA motorcycle that I had to buy some English metric wrenches for. Had Japanese metric, but English metric is different.
Just in case this isn't a joke, those "English metric" wrenches are really Whitworth wrenches and use a sizing system more bizarre than Imperial/SAE or metric bolts.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-06-20, 01:30 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Just in case this isn't a joke, those "English metric" wrenches are really Whitworth wrenches and use a sizing system more bizarre than Imperial/SAE or metric bolts.
Nope, wasn't a joke. But the brand name could have been--King Dick
Old 12-06-20, 01:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I typically look at the bolt head before going in with my tool.
What a clever idea!
Old 12-06-20, 04:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Koyote
What a clever idea!
Sometimes I have a gem or two ; )
Old 12-06-20, 04:53 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Sometimes I have a gem or two ; )
You missed the opportunity for a good double entendre:
"I always look before going in with my tool."
Likes For sweeks:
Old 12-06-20, 08:13 PM
Sorcerer

I typically look at the bolt head before going in with my tool. Though I haven't yet seen a cable anchor bolt that is Torx, I am curious what derailleur that is that uses that?

I do know a lot of stuff is moving to Torx or has been Torx a while (my Zipp Stem for instance is T25) but all in all I have never really had an issue. I did have a Boss that would use his Torx keys for Allen bolts but he is not a mechanic and was told to not do that and stopped.
Yes, it was a mistake not to look before torqueing the wrench.

It's a Microshift 11 speed rear derailleur. It's not anywhere near as good as the major brand stuff. It works. I don't want to do a review on it here. Maybe I'll do one on a separate post.

I vaguely remember saying to myself that I needed to remember the type of tool needed I'm the future when I installed it. I haven't seen a torx on a cable clamp before.

On the trail, cold, and getting dark, and running out of time , I forgot.forgot. I couldn't have seen it then, but there was a big "T" inside the socket.

I replaced it with an old Magura rotor fixing bolt.
Old 12-06-20, 10:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Sorcerer
Yes, it was a mistake not to look before torqueing the wrench.

It's a Microshift 11 speed rear derailleur. It's not anywhere near as good as the major brand stuff. It works. I don't want to do a review on it here. Maybe I'll do one on a separate post.

I vaguely remember saying to myself that I needed to remember the type of tool needed I'm the future when I installed it. I haven't seen a torx on a cable clamp before.

On the trail, cold, and getting dark, and running out of time , I forgot.forgot. I couldn't have seen it then, but there was a big "T" inside the socket.

I replaced it with an old Magura rotor fixing bolt.
Weird that is uses Torx. I cannot find any indication in their manuals or online about it. Maybe the bolt was stripped and that is why it seemed like Torx or if you bought it used maybe they replaced it or it is an older model they don't make.

Microshift isn't that terrible, I gotta hand it to them, they make some decent Shimano compatible parts at low prices, The low end is low end no matter who makes it but their 10-11 speed stuff and the Advent stuff isn't so bad.

Measure twice, cut once.