Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vado sl to 650b and 100m

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Vado sl to 650b and 100m

Old 04-16-21, 06:04 AM
Pitch06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vado sl to 650b and 100m

Hello,

I took the bike again with a vado SL to "start over", initially to go to work. And it's great, I regain a taste for pedaling at a good pace as before. On weekends, I leave on the trails of france; But I am starting to be limited! And for more comfort, I would like to mount a 90mm or 100m front fork for a 27.5 wheel, did you know if this is possible with regard to the head tube, the future shocket and the geometry of the bike? This will allow to pass it in 27.5 to have tires of larger section (type fastrack, renegade, or other in 1.9, I saw that the max was of 47mm to be able to pass the rear shrouds)

What do you think of the transformation of the bicycle? Ridiculous?

Thank you
Old 04-16-21, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Pardon my not understanding the complete post, it seems that there may have been a previous post/thread about this that I am missing.

Generally replacing the fork, suspension or rigid, that doesn't have the same axle to crown seat height/length and the same rake will result in a somewhat different handling nature. What any one rider's opinion of this can only be determined by doing it. Sure, there are some basic steering generalizations that are based of well understood principles the bottom line is not what some book or vid suggests but what the rider feels on that bike with this fork.

A longer A-C length will rise the front of the bike a bit and thus slacken the head angle, 1cm of added height is around 1 degree of change. For every 1cm of rake change there's around the same amount of trail change although in an inverse relationship. Now not yet to me known is any tire diameter or casing volume flex or any fork flex or any weight change or the effects of the rider having more rearward weight placement with that lifting of the front end. lastly if going from a rigid fork to a suspension one the whole geometry thing is compounded by the fact that the fork's dimensions are changing with it's travel.

So back to the question- For any true comparison one really has to experience the changes on the trails. All else is mere opinionated talk. Andy
Old 04-17-21, 11:54 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I would not add a suspension fork to the Vado SL it will change the geometry quite a bit and add significant weight which is the reason you get the SL. You can fit 650B wheels on the frame (just know they are road boost spaced so 12x110 and 12x148) but you probably won't fit more than a 47mm tire at least according to Specialized. I think you should be OK with wider 650b tires and maybe try the Kinekt seatpost and that should give you significant comfort boost without a ton of weight and won't screw up the geo.