Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Vintage Campagnolo Question from the Masi Noob

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 10:08 AM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Hi All,

My 1982 Masi Gran Corsa project goes well, the replacement 6-speed 13-28 freewheel rides well, and bike is now in good riding condition. Hoping to ride in the California Eroica if that event takes place this year.

However, I have found the front 39 chainring has a bit of wear and will want to replace soon/eventually. The Campagnolo 53 and 39 135 BCD, 5-bolt arm chainrings currently on the bike (which I been told are 6 speed Chorus, yet to confirm) are stamped AS, and been unable to locate a replacement AS 39 chainring. However, there are several Campagnolo Record 39 chainrings NOS on eBay that are for 8/9/10 speed Record groupsets, pic attached. One seller stated that this Campagnolo Record 8/9/10 speed chainring has the correct 135 BCD and will work fine with with my 53 AS chainring 6-speed setup. My concern is that the 8/9/10 speed chainring will be thinner to accommodate the narrower 8/9/10 speed chains, and may not work correctly with my wider 6 speed chain.

Hopefully one of the Campy vintage experts here might be able to confirm if this chainring will work properly as a replacement for my current 39 AS chainring.

Hard to see in the pic, but next to stamped 39 is a stamped E in a diamond shaped outline.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-21, 11:16 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
The 39 should be no problem.
the Big rig can be an issue as the Record crank has one chainring bolt that fastens from the back.
so, a different hole configuration there.
the subordinate groups have all exposed fasteners and assemble in the expected way.
Old 02-21-21, 11:26 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
Very useful information to understand the compatibility you're facing: https://branfordbike.com/chainrings
Old 02-21-21, 11:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Your Masi is equipped with the original Chorus group from 1988 until it upgraded to 8spd Ergo in ‘92ish

I mix match 135 rings all the time on my Chorus cranks with no problems

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-21-21, 01:23 PM
City Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hi

THANK YOU all very much for the info, most appreciated. Here is the pic of Masi. Beautiful warm day here in California's Silicon Valley, so I'm going to take the Masi out for ride along the bay..

Likes For City Guy:
Old 02-21-21, 01:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The perhaps-thinner teeth will work fine with 7-8s chain.

Campagnolo chainring spacing determination is "opposite" from Shimano's, in that Campagnolo's big ring is the determinant of chainring spacing differences.

That Masi looks great!
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-21-21, 03:12 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by City Guy
Hi

THANK YOU all very much for the info, most appreciated. Here is the pic of Masi. Beautiful warm day here in California's Silicon Valley, so I'm going to take the Masi out for ride along the bay..

That looks like the first-generation Chorus chainset. I recall when those were released they were the budget racing group. That's one of my favorite chainsets of all time!

For your chainring wearing out, I would not worry about it too much. Campy chainrings have always been very long-lasting, in my experience!
Old 02-21-21, 04:55 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
The spacing between chain plates has remained consistent, it’s the thickness of the plates that has reduced.
Old 02-21-21, 05:01 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
the Big rig can be an issue as the Record crank has one chainring bolt that fastens from the back.
Kinda, sorta, not really.

Any 135BCD will fit (C) Record cranks, but the pin that stops the chain dropping between the crank arm and chainring may be in the wrong place unless it’s a Record chainring. Ideally it would also have the knurled nut that the hidden bolt screws in to, but you can secure it with a track nut and Loctite.
Old 02-22-21, 10:55 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Kinda, sorta, not really.

Any 135BCD will fit (C) Record cranks, but the pin that stops the chain dropping between the crank arm and chainring may be in the wrong place unless it’s a Record chainring. Ideally it would also have the knurled nut that the hidden bolt screws in to, but you can secure it with a track nut and Loctite.
Precisely, and one counterbore for the one chainring bolt is on the wrong size, will fit but a kludge.