Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding while high

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding while high

Old 04-06-21, 10:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Sometimes the captain objects - in a strong tailwind; or, if I engage the rear drum brake a little bit on the climbs.... just for giggles & skits.
Old 04-06-21, 10:53 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Riding downhill high scared the heck out of me.
I don't think I'd feel too comfortable riding on the road high if it was more than a few KMs and at any speed.
But putzing around at a leisurely pace on MUPs or otherwise dedicated bike paths while high would be fun.
Old 04-06-21, 11:03 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Funny, I don't remember.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-06-21, 06:07 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Nope just EPO for me Funny, just reading a book about Lance and riding high on pot seems so insignificant compared the amount of stuff those guys pumped into their bodies! I know, the impact on taking performance enhancement drugs is different but the damage could be fatal in both cases.
Personally, I get on my bike and get this natural high as I pedal for pleasure or for exercise so don't really need the stimulus. Working all day is another story and I could sure use some stimulus after 9 hours in front of my computer.
Old 04-08-21, 01:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotgut
I'm mid 50s and enjoy a small dose edible once in a while in the summer evening after a good ride or brisk yard work. (Not much of a drinker.) I've been wondering if anyone here has ever actually ridden high? I know the obvious dangers, and I'm not talking about look-at-your-thumb-while-slobbering high. I'm talking about being functionally high, the kind of high where you feel every stretch and every sore muscle in a good way. I usually end up stretching a lot when I'm high, kind of yoga-like. I've never actually ridden high and am genuinely curious if anyone has gotten any satisfaction from it, or if crashing paranoia sets in. Or if I should take this question to the 20+ forum.
Please, no anti-pot lectures. As I say, I'm genuinely curious.
Getting "high" is stupid in the first place. And trying to ride a bike makes it worse.
Old 04-08-21, 11:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Getting "high" is stupid in the first place. And trying to ride a bike makes it worse.
As someone who just rode 25 miles, just drank 24 ounces of "hobo beer" Steel Reserve 211, & is currently waiting for 20 milligrams of THC in chocolate form to kick in, I disagree.

In an hour, I'll be washed, showered, & be set up for 8 hour of uninterrupted sleep...That is, unless you'd rather I toss & turn & lay in bed, in frustration "not sleeping" until 3 or 4, or 5am.

I mean, I've done a few "midnight centuries" to wait out my restless brain, but realistically there is a limit to how many 36 or 48 hour days with 2 or 3 or 4 hours of restless sleep an otherwise healthy human can withstand.

I really don't understand the opinion bias against the only thing that lets me sleep like a normal person. I mean there are cannabinoid receptors in the human brain, afterall. The plant & humans have been in symbiotic relations since the dawn of time.

Coincidentally, my friends mother who has had Parkinsons since I met her 33 years ago (!) No longer has a Parkinsons diagnosis. The doctors are legitimately basffled. She's been alive too long for it to be actual real Parkinsons. Her symptoms "evaporated" when she started taking THC/CBD. Coincidence? Absolutely. But she can do stairs now & no longer responds incoherently to simple conversation. She can drive competently & safely now with attentivness & reaction times you would expect a normal healthy person to have. She no longer shakes uncontrollably, & at age 75+, has given up her walker.

Am I advocating for a cure-all "snake oil?" Am I advocating anything other than a garden grown bit of Mother Nature? No, there are lots of harmful things out there of all stripes & all manner of irresponsibility to be found everywhere. But, the hysteria about "Reefer Madness" is largely unwarrented

I am not advocating any position other than pragmatism & an acknowledgement that blanket policies & opinions don't always address the full spectrum of diversity or nuance in a given population set.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-09-21, 08:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Getting "high" is stupid in the first place.
If only it were that simple.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-09-21, 11:21 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
A lot of stupid things are really fun. Cycling is fun, stoning is fun. Lots of fun things don't mix. C'est la vie.
Old 04-09-21, 12:25 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Experience, maturity, personality and frame of mind are all part of the equation.
Old 04-09-21, 04:14 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I haven't gotten high in years, but when I did I loved driving high. I'd eat a chunk of bud and head out. Nothing to it. Did not impair my driving ever. Pot is one of the best pain killers there is, so no pain while driving!
Old 04-12-21, 11:38 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I could go to any K1 Speed, smoke in the car before and still be in the top 2, even on a track I never drove before. The whole “impairment” applies to someone smoking for the first few times. Imo and I’ve been a daily toker for 35 years. The only pushback is from people who have never done it and have no clue.

At this point in my life I don’t plan it, but if I happen to have smoked and then decided to go ride it wouldn’t stop me. The reality is that once you get into the zone, which weed is really good at achieving, you forget you were high to begin with. ✌️
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 04-12-21, 03:54 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Going down a different but similar path so to speak, some of my hockey friends have played with young guys who played at an elite level but couldn't break the professional barrier so the next stage is recreational/beer league hockey. A lot of these guys are doing coke and all sorts of stuff before they play and are unbelievable athletes. Some of them have to get high to chill out, otherwise their intensity is way too high for recreational hockey and without it, they would be taking guys heads off.
Old 04-13-21, 02:23 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by base2
As someone who just rode 25 miles, just drank 24 ounces of "hobo beer" Steel Reserve 211, & is currently waiting for 20 milligrams of THC in chocolate form to kick in, I disagree.

In an hour, I'll be washed, showered, & be set up for 8 hour of uninterrupted sleep...That is, unless you'd rather I toss & turn & lay in bed, in frustration "not sleeping" until 3 or 4, or 5am.

I mean, I've done a few "midnight centuries" to wait out my restless brain, but realistically there is a limit to how many 36 or 48 hour days with 2 or 3 or 4 hours of restless sleep an otherwise healthy human can withstand.

I really don't understand the opinion bias against the only thing that lets me sleep like a normal person. I mean there are cannabinoid receptors in the human brain, afterall. The plant & humans have been in symbiotic relations since the dawn of time.

Coincidentally, my friends mother who has had Parkinsons since I met her 33 years ago (!) No longer has a Parkinsons diagnosis. The doctors are legitimately basffled. She's been alive too long for it to be actual real Parkinsons. Her symptoms "evaporated" when she started taking THC/CBD. Coincidence? Absolutely. But she can do stairs now & no longer responds incoherently to simple conversation. She can drive competently & safely now with attentivness & reaction times you would expect a normal healthy person to have. She no longer shakes uncontrollably, & at age 75+, has given up her walker.

Am I advocating for a cure-all "snake oil?" Am I advocating anything other than a garden grown bit of Mother Nature? No, there are lots of harmful things out there of all stripes & all manner of irresponsibility to be found everywhere. But, the hysteria about "Reefer Madness" is largely unwarrented

I am not advocating any position other than pragmatism & an acknowledgement that blanket policies & opinions don't always address the full spectrum of diversity or nuance in a given population set.
I'm in the same position as you in many ways. Had insomnia since childhood and deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Have used Marijuana in order to manage it in the past (and will again if the need or desire for it strikes). But weed is strong and habit forming. With me, it gets to where it doesn't work anymore and becomes a nuisance. So then I leave it alone. Presently I haven't touched weed in years, but I keep ample, quality supply stored and close at hand in case I need it for pain or whatever. I know guys who have used weed their entire lives and they are all high-functioning individuals. I have known others who do nothing but sit on their arse all day and smoke dope. Weed affects people differently, just like alcohol. And speaking of booze, I never touch it under any circumstances. I can't stand alcohol. Furthermore I've known people in my life who drink it--but shouldn't. I don't like drinking and don't like being around people who do. Being around a bunch of weed smokers and eaters however is another story. They don't bother anyone. But give folks some whiskey--and many turn into instant-arseholes. No thanks.

As for sleep, as related to cycling and all other things, we have to have it. Cycling is not fun when I haven't slept for forty eight hours or more. In fact nothing is fun under those circumstances. So if I need a little bud to turn the situation in my favor--so be it.

One of the things I highly recommend for bikers with sleep issues is a sleep mask. No, not a five dollar Walmart sleep mask. But a forty five dollar high quality sleep mask of excellent material that ensures total blackout and does not bother your eyes or skin. I cannot live without my sleep masks. They have literally changed my life. I don't go anywhere or do anything without them. If you can't sleep and haven't tried this yet--do it!

Last edited by Ted Noiz; 04-13-21 at 10:12 PM.
Likes For Ted Noiz:
Old 04-13-21, 08:04 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 963 Posts
BITD - '80s - I was a club rider and a daily smoker. I enjoyed riding while buzzed. We'd blast out to our midpoint, have lunch and before we left I'd have a joint or a bowl. My buddies told me I reliably rode faster on our return trip. I remember that I could get very inwardly focused, very INTO the groove, the rhythm of pedaling...now in my impending maturity modern hydroponic marijuana kicks my ass unlike any of the purported Colombian we would get then. One tiny puff and I'll spend a few hours mumbling and going off on tangents. Today I wouldn't consider riding with my situational awareness compromised. I never even liked using headphones or such like. Sometimes I wonder how I managed to survive, but I never had any close calls while high.

Last edited by ascherer; 04-14-21 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 09:11 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
When I was young and foolish I often rode high. Shoot, we drove and smoked in the car. Of course what we smoked then would not be considered worthy of notice today.

The last time I drove really drunk, about 50 years ago, I followed my girlfriend home between the two pairs of yellow lines. Haven’t done anything like that since.

Now a days, I don’t drink more than a single glass of wine or beer with a meal before driving home. Haven’t been in a restaurant lately. More than the plague year. Still wouldn’t drink alcohol and drive.

I avoid driving at night and only use cannabis in the evening now so it’s not been an issue. But, I probably would avoid driving a car high now.

I only started riding a bike as an adult two years ago a haven’t had the opportunity to be high and ride. On July 1 it will be legal to use cannabis here in NoVa. Perhaps I’ll take a weekday ride on the WOD this summer to see what it’s like. A new challenge.
Old 04-14-21, 07:54 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Who are you to wave your finger?
You must have been outta your head
Eye hole deep in muddy waters
You practically raised the dead

Rob the grave to snow the cradle
Then burn the evidence down
Soapbox house of cards and glass so
Don't go tossin' your stones around

You must have been high...

Old 04-15-21, 09:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
With all the ding bat drivers, and their inattention, you need to be fully alert to be safe, not impaired with illegal drugs.
Old 04-15-21, 09:35 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
With all the ding bat drivers, and their inattention, you need to be fully alert to be safe, not impaired with illegal drugs.
Your point about impairment is well taken but it’s no longer illegal in many states. Probably not much longer in Nebraska either.
Old 04-15-21, 11:53 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted Noiz
I haven't gotten high in years, but when I did I loved driving high. I'd eat a chunk of bud and head out. Nothing to it.
I thought it was common knowledge that eating it raw doesn't work. It needs to be heated in some fashion to pull out the THC, via butter, baking, vape, or smoking. No?
Old 04-15-21, 11:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Rotgut
I'm mid 50s and enjoy a small dose edible once in a while in the summer evening after a good ride or brisk yard work. (Not much of a drinker.) I've been wondering if anyone here has ever actually ridden high? I know the obvious dangers, and I'm not talking about look-at-your-thumb-while-slobbering high. I'm talking about being functionally high, the kind of high where you feel every stretch and every sore muscle in a good way. I usually end up stretching a lot when I'm high, kind of yoga-like. I've never actually ridden high and am genuinely curious if anyone has gotten any satisfaction from it, or if crashing paranoia sets in. Or if I should take this question to the 20+ forum.
Please, no anti-pot lectures. As I say, I'm genuinely curious.
You might get more "yes" answers in an anonymous poll. Many may not want to incriminate themselves.
Old 04-15-21, 12:10 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Riveting
I thought it was common knowledge that eating it raw doesn't work. It needs to be heated in some fashion to pull out the THC, via butter, baking, vape, or smoking. No?
I'm not sure but it seems like if you ate a bunch of it some of the thc would get into your blood. The simple way to release it is to grind the bud to a fine powder and then saute it in butter on low heat, or so I've been told. You can then bake with that butter or just spread it on some toast, or so I've heard.

I haven't seen hash in years but you can eat hash and it will get you stoned, maybe because it's already processed?

A friend of mine who is a lifetime runner had a bout with cancer and the chemo made it nearly impossible for her to eat, and she was quite lean to begin with. Her oncologist suggested she try some edibles but he couldn't help her get it. She had never used thc before but she got some tablets and it helped her immensely.
Old 04-15-21, 12:11 PM
big john

Right. Or, even worse, legal drugs like alcohol.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-15-21, 12:27 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Riveting
Definitely NO. It works better eating it. Eating it ensures you get it all, for one thing. Nothing is wasted. Chewing it (yes, it tastes like crap) until it is liquefied puts it immediately into the bloodstream through the mucus membranes. Then it's swallowed and digested. Smoking it is wasteful and dangerous, obviously. Much of the good stuff just literally goes up in smoke. Plus, you're smoking. Breathing smoke into the lungs isn't good for you. Eating the weed permeates the entire body, thus nullifying pain everywhere and causing total relaxation. Smoking only puts it into the respiratory system, so you're deprived of oxygen, the buzz is mostly in your head, and the eyeballs turn red and glass over.

To each his own. But I prefer eating the cannabis. More bang for my buck, won't stink the place up and no pain anywhere.
Old 04-15-21, 01:29 PM
big john

Smoking only puts it into the respiratory system, so you're deprived of oxygen, the buzz is mostly in your head, and the eyeballs turn red and glass over.
Smoking anything, be it weed, crack cocaine, pcp, or even nicotine puts that substance into the blood. This is how these substances become addictive.
Old 04-15-21, 01:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4835 Post(s)
Liked 7,827 Times in 3,707 Posts
...Smoking only puts it into the respiratory system, so you're deprived of oxygen...
You might want to do a little more research on how lungs work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.