Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Clicking Noise of My Folding Bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 05:03 AM
freshwar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. Happy rides with your bikes. I am asking these question to all Shimano Altus users.

I would like to ask a special question. I bought a DAHON Espresso D24 in This Summer. At the beginning it was perfect. But after some time (after 10 - 20 km) it started to give some annoying constant clicking noise from near its back gear mechanism (two times with every pedal cycle). Have you noticed a similiar constant noise?( I think the Shimano Altus gear mechanism' s back derailleur is responsible for the noise, but not sure )

I took it to the authorized service but the service was in a noisy environment and I could not explain them. Now I have made approx. 300 km with my bike and the noise still persist (see the video). There is no seeming cause for the noise (no problem with pedals, chains, no rubbing, no problem with wheels, no cracks, brackets, bearings, chainwheels, brake mechanism etc.).

When you are using the smallest front chainwheel (which is generally not used) there is no sound. But all other combinations with front chainwheels (especially front middle chainwheel, which is used mostly) make noise. So I suspect that the noise is a result of tension on the back derailleur (and the sound seems coming from there). There is no problem with gear switches, so if you change the adjustments of gear to change that tension you can ruin the normal gear settings.

Last edited by freshwar; 01-17-21 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-17-21, 10:43 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Sometimes if the chain has a stiff link, it will cause a sound as it travels through the sprockets. My first quess!

Welcome to BF folders sub thread!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 01-20-21, 07:44 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Well, if the click occurs twice for every pedal rotation the noise is more likely to come from the crank area, rather than the rear derailleur.

As the noise goes away on the smallest front sprocket, it suggests that the noise is from the bottom bracket bearing end rather than the pedal end of the crank mechanism.

Find someone to ride alongside you, it can e difficult to hear where a sound is coming from when it is down below you. The other person can ride around you to try and home in on the source - but choose a nice quiet park, of course.
Old 01-20-21, 10:50 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I had a clicking noise that drove me nuts, ended up being the plastic on the end of a shoe lace!!! Of course I did not figure it out until I had pretty much disassembled and relubed the entire bike, lol.
Old 01-26-21, 10:47 PM
lifanus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Could also be the shifter cable hitting stuff (or brake cable touching shoes) when shifted from smallest cog...

Otherwise, try to adjust the tension on the shifter cable by rotating the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur just a 1/4 - 1/2 a turn at a time in both directions on higher gears, and see if the noise is gone, while having your bike flipped up-side down to diagnose the problem.