Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 09-04-23, 04:45 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Unlike all our riding peeps, we ignored the forecasters. Glad we did. Straight from work, 35 miles, no sleep, but no rain. Nice cloudscape.

Likes For kaos joe:
Old 09-04-23, 04:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
To think I rode mt. bike at BP on Friday, it was 61 degrees out. Very enjoyable, really looking forward to fall.
Old 09-04-23, 07:37 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Today’s ride started at LIRR Grand Central, went across the GWB , turned around and returned via LIRR Pennsylvania Station. 18.6 miles.
Was 88°, carried liquids in the panniers.

Unidentified cyclist heads to New Jersey on the George Washington Bridge

Times Square, 4 September 2023
Likes For hotbike:
Old 09-04-23, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Started the day by heading off island for the first cross race of the season.

My oldest has been looking forward to cross season so we headed off to rural CT where they held the race at the county fair on the fairgrounds. They ran the boys and girls, and she managed to snag 2nd for the girls and 6th overall.

I did decent overall, but my front tire is worn out and had very little traction on the drying grass, first lap one of the tighter corners sent me crashing onto my should has the front wheel just went out from under me and popped the chain off in the process. Cost me about 3 places based on finish times, new tires show up wed. Still felt good to get out, looking forward to seeing how I do at carpenter cross in two weeks where I think I'm going to try to ride the men's 4/5 and later in the afternoon the singlespeed catagory.

Finished the day at Hempstead lake state park with the youngest. We brought lights and rode till 8:50, rode around the whole lake and crossed over southern and rode all the new trails that are to the north. Finished in the dark which is what he wanted.
Old 09-09-23, 08:40 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

GWB Bike Lane Ramp New York entrance

New York side

New York side

New Jersey side

New Jersey side

New Jersey side. “Biggest American flag”

Jersey side

Jersey side

A few photos of the George Washington Bridge Bike Lane ramp project, now complete
Old 09-18-23, 06:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Took the oldest to Hempstead lake for some cross practice. Pic doesn't do justice to how short, steep and narrow this climb up from the lake is along the east side of things. Had to take this pic, cause fat old dad is still faster and more skilled for this year and she can't quite keep up, yet. Several laps around the lake and rides out on the new bridal trails to the north end.

We had to start taking the other, harder ride out when I came out at the usual SE corner of the lake and nearly hit this thing with my head. Only just dodged the thing dangling down before I stopped to look at what I nearly hit.
Old 09-24-23, 01:27 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Well, we did have a window of great weather between the humidity and the present soaking. Hope you folks are getting out too. We brought the red "Sunday tandem" out, & the Mrs got the zoomies like our cat, and pushed this old fart at startling speeds. It was like having an e-"bike". Hoping for a nice October.

Old 10-04-23, 08:56 PM
hotbike

Northern Boulevard between 108th Street and College Point Boulevard

Buses at Northern Boulevard between 108th Street and College Point Boulevard

40 mile ride Monday. Jericho Turnpike to Queens Boulevard, then 108th street north to Northern Boulevard. Went down College Point Boulevard
Old 10-06-23, 02:18 PM
kaos joe

Couple of great Indian summer days there, ended up going to Captree twice oddly enough. One of them was on the Red Menace on our anniversary so we had to pull over when we hit the magic number.

repeated on a different horse

Old 10-10-23, 10:05 AM
Russ Roth

Parked in Queens and took the kids to the Met for Columbus day, annoyingly ended up running into a Parade which blocked the easiest route by Central Park. After the Met we spent some time riding through the park and playing hide and seek on some of the rock formations. Kids are learning about early civilizations including Sumer and Mesopotamia so what better than to go see some of the antiquities, until we discovered that that particular gallery is closed until 2026. Medieval weapons and Greek pottery made up for it.

Old 10-16-23, 07:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Well it’s fall in NY and that means cooler temps and that means into the woods for some mt. biking !. Hi 40’s is a great temp for an hour at BP with some buddies. Saw a cool owl doing some hunting

Likes For Steve B.:
Old 10-20-23, 12:34 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Well it’s fall in NY and that means cooler temps and that means into the woods for some mt. biking !. Hi 40’s is a great temp for an hour at BP with some buddies. Saw a cool owl doing some hunting
Nice! I had the bejesus scared out of me once by a barred owl while deer hunting down in Maryland. I got myself all settled in at the base of a big tree way before first light....after sitting there for a good half hour the owl let loose with that distinctive and LOUD call directly over my head. It had been perched there the whole time.

As for me I'm going to let it get colder, and too cold to get on the water, before MTB time. Paddling has cut a little bit into pedaling for now. BTW, I know you do both also, FYI the seals are back in the bay a little west of the 3rd Wantagh Pkwy bridge, there were 3 the other day. Very cool to see.

please excuse the fingertip
Old 10-27-23, 12:20 PM
Russ Roth

Picked up this CoMotion speedster tandem from a nice couple in valley stream. The oldest and I gave it a shakedown run on massapqequa. Other than the old conti 28c tires being kinda narrow (they measured the same as my 23c track bike and not as tall)everything worked flawlessly. Tomorrow we're taking it to do the south county trail and seeing how far we can make it, planning on a minimum of 50 miles. Gonna toss some 27c challenge paris-roubaix on there that I have laying around.

Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 10-27-23, 10:58 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Picked up this CoMotion speedster tandem from a nice couple in valley stream. The oldest and I gave it a shakedown run on massapqequa. Other than the old conti 28c tires being kinda narrow (they measured the same as my 23c track bike and not as tall)everything worked flawlessly. Tomorrow we're taking it to do the south county trail and seeing how far we can make it, planning on a minimum of 50 miles. Gonna toss some 27c challenge paris-roubaix on there that I have laying around.
Great looking tandem! I went from 28mm to 32's on our tandems and glad I did, feel much more secure. Looking forward to hearing your take on how tandem-friendly the South County trail is now.

Enjoy!
Old 10-28-23, 07:27 PM
Russ Roth

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Great looking tandem! I went from 28mm to 32's on our tandems and glad I did, feel much more secure. Looking forward to hearing your take on how tandem-friendly the South County trail is now.

Enjoy!
Ended up with too many time constraints that the wife decided to pile on. So we rode from Oceanside thru Hewlitt, down to the Boardwalk, over to Floyd Bennett and straight up to prospect. With all the traffic that's regularly backed up at the lights we managed to move through Brooklyn faster than the traffic but all the start/stop made for some slow going. I put a decent set of 35c smooth center gravel tires on that never seem to get punctures and set them to 80psi. Interestingly the bike is supposed to be able to take a 38 but the 35 has slightly less clearance than I'd prefer. Not certain it'll take a modern 38.
Old 01-06-24, 06:51 AM
hotbike

Using the 500 watt hub motor and a fairing.
Went east to Huntington for a change. Most of my rides have been westbound to NYC lately.
Old 02-11-24, 11:45 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Hempstead Lake State Park again

I was able to get out for a ride today. Hempstead Lake Park again. I can ride there, so it is my most common ride. Despite the way that the trail appears in the picture below there were plenty of people out today including a group cooking out. Plenty of dogs too. I think people know their dogs well enough and the ones that want to chase and bark at passers by don't bring their dogs here. Dogs here, in my experience, have been well behaved.

Likes For Velo Mule: