Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Aluminum vs. Steel - Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 07:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
As far as I am aware, the differences in price between the different groupssts is really the biggest difference. They are all built to a good standard and perform commendably across the board. The only real difference between today's low end equipment versus vintage stuff is that today's should be avoided .
The key part of that statement is in bold font.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-12-21, 07:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I used this example last week at dinner and my 10yo argued over and over that the bricks are heavier. My 14yo was losing her mind with frustration.

Finally after I explained it for 8th time, my 10yo said 'ok yes I know they weigh the same, but they are different and tthe bricks will feel heavier when they hit me.'
Couldn't really argue with that.
Your kid had simply moved on to a consideration of density.
Old 01-12-21, 08:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Oh yeah, me trying to explain density vs weight woulda been met with a firm WTF, if she knew that phrase.

This is a strong BF thread- an initial post that is vague and seems like a hypothetical exercise in the valuation of choice, a side discussion on physics, and then a bunch of replies to someone who doesnt fully understand what they are commenting on.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-12-21, 08:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I'm jumping over a lot of posts ... but the point was made right away, there's not enough info in the OP.

That said, as a rider that has a couple AL frames, a couple steel (& N+1 for '21 will be carbon). I've ridden/raced 1,000s of miles on gravel and here's my thoughts on AL vs steel:
  • Tires are more important to comfort than frame material
  • Bike fit is more important to comfort than frame material
  • AL is stiffer and causes more fatigue ... but
  • All materials can be "tuned" to be "comfortable" or "stiff" (IMHO stiff frames are the opposite of comfortable frames)
  • All other things being equal, I've pick a bike on the groupset over frame material
  • My gravel bikes of choice are both steel frame
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-12-21, 09:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
and then a bunch of replies to someone who doesn't fully understand what they are commenting on.
Old 01-12-21, 09:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Y'all can just put this person on your ignore list, unless you like to see poorly informed opinions that annoy you.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-12-21, 09:16 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Tire size & psi combined with geometry are far more significant than choice of frame material when it comes to creating comfort on any modern bicycle,.
So youve said it yourself- geometry is directly dependent on frame comfort, which is therefore directly dependent on how you fit onto said geomtery. Its really not that difficult to understand.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Bike fit and tire width is more important for comfort than frame material
Yes, I understand that tire width also plays a role here.

Its the same crowd of guys on here trolling me for apparently disagreeing on perfectly valid points completely related to whatever it is just said. I hope all of you guys put me into your ignore list so I don't have to do it myself, and therefore never read any of your nonsensical complaints ever again. Thanks.
Old 01-12-21, 10:08 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
As far as I am aware, the differences in price between the different groupssts is really the biggest difference. They are all built to a good standard and perform commendably across the board. The only real difference between today's low end equipment versus vintage stuff is that today's should be avoided .

You guys are the biggest trolls
You are not aware. Some low end parts can be really suck. Further tiagra isn't truly low end, there's 3 groupsets below and above it;i isn't an amazing group but it is a decent, reliable group. The sram group is of similar quality. Both would be better than vintage items of similar levels, though I'd still take a tiagra groupset over a record groupset from 1980 for my every day, ride anywhere bike. I'd take that record group on a DeRosa for my occasional ride bike.

Originally Posted by Koyote
And an important consideration, the feathers really will feel better.
Old 01-12-21, 10:24 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
You are not aware. Some low end parts can be really suck. Further tiagra isn't truly low end, there's 3 groupsets below and above it;i isn't an amazing group but it is a decent, reliable group. The sram group is of similar quality. Both would be better than vintage items of similar levels, though I'd still take a tiagra groupset over a record groupset from 1980 for my every day, ride anywhere bike. I'd take that record group on a DeRosa for my occasional ride bike.

And an important consideration, the feathers really will feel better.
Thanks, yes I know that there is sora and Claris below tiagra. I have a tiagra 130mm hub in my rear wheel which is why I know.

I am simply stating whatever I read online about shimanos road groupset hierarchy.

I would choose my 40 year old suntour derailer over any low end shimano stuff. I find that the derailer tensions the chain better which keeps it from slapping about the chainstay and they are reliable as a brick. Has held up far better than my low-mid range alivio after only 14 years.