Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problem mounting Shimano Dura Ace brake levers

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-12-21, 05:52 PM
EffyT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All
I have an old (1980) bike with cinelli handle bars. I had some Dura Ace brake levers mounted to them. I crashed and want to replace them with some other Dura Ace levers that I had laying around. As I expected it was not easy removing the old levers. Sliding them down the bars. When I tried to install the others I find that the ring of metal will just barely slide down the straight part of the bar but will not budge going around the bend. Has anyone run into this problem before? Is there a way to stretch the ring out so it can slide around the bend? I am also open to any other solutions.
I have tried very lightly grinding some of the inner material away but do not want to go crazy with this. I have also tried heat and numerous lubricants.

TIA for any assistance
Blake
Old 01-12-21, 05:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Use the rings from the old levers. I often find it easier to slide on just the ring, and then attach the lever to it when it's close to its final position.
Old 01-12-21, 06:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
IIRC it's one of those puzzle deals. You start them on one way, then have to turn them another. I can't remember the sequence. If you don't get an answer here, have this moved to C&V. Good luck.
Old 01-12-21, 06:20 PM
EffyT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Use the rings from the old levers. I often find it easier to slide on just the ring, and then attach the lever to it when it's close to its final position.
Thanks for the Idea, but the polarity is wrong. The one has a nut on a shaft and the other has an allen screw going into the shaft.
Old 01-13-21, 03:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Remove the ring from the shifter, slide the ring into place, place shifter on ring.

Simple.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-13-21, 08:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Removing the clamp ring from the lever and sliding it on separately, as @base2 suggests above, often works. Once in place, mount the lever body onto the clamp. Otherwise, Park used to make a pliers-type tool for spreading the clamp ring. Perhaps an established shop may have one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
park-brake-lever-tool.jpg (33.1 KB, 25 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson: