Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Resources for developing ultra-event training plans

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 07-23-20, 11:12 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts

Does anyone know of any resources or guidelines for developing training plans for long-distance events? Training Peaks can generate training plans for "normal" events but falls apart when it comes to multi-day events. I'm familiar with Training Peaks' concepts and vocabulary, so guidelines that are pitched in terms of TSS, CTL, etc, would work fine for me.
Old 07-23-20, 12:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
John Hughes has published a lot of articles about this. He's a long-time randonneur and coach
Old 07-23-20, 05:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Since you're using TP I assume you have a PM/HRM in which case Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Coggan & Allen is required reading. I haven't seen any off-the-shelf training plans for long-distance multi-day events, so as far as I know, you'll have to make up your own plan or pay someone to do it for you. All we have to do is crank out steady watts for a few days, so I don't think it needs to be too complicated. Here's what they recommend for the PAC Tour. Here's another one from BC Randonneurs. Pretty simple stuff.