Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

my wife's new electric bike [cannondale] is a load....

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 01:29 PM
rajbcpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, it is very heavy... somewhere in the 20z.... but I have not weighted it yet.

Anyway, I'm assuming the battery is heavy component.

anyway, my bike shop was telling me the carbon fiber wheels can save a lot of weight vs. conventional wheels...

any thoughts in this? Would the difference in weight be small in relative terms?
Old 12-03-20, 01:40 PM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Relative to the weight of the bicycle carbon fiber wheels won't make much difference. You are most likely looking at a pound or two max changing to lightweight wheels. Looking at Cannondale's electric bikes it looks like they weight between 30-40lbs. Most of the weight on an electric bike is the batteries and the motor, I have had friends remove the electric parts from their bikes (different brands) and that brings the bikes down to standard bike weights
Old 12-03-20, 01:48 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
Well, it is very heavy... somewhere in the 20z.... but I have not weighted it yet.
After installing an e-bike wheel/battery kit on my AL frame commuter that has all the standard commuter stuff like rack, lights, fenders, trunk, dynamo, 35mm flat resistant tires, etc..it now weighs ~50 lbs. Consider yourself lucky that yours only weighs in the 20's. Putting mine up on the roof rack is a chore, even if it's a low Mini Cooper.
Old 12-03-20, 03:38 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Oh, god no. Don't need carbon wheels on an ebike. You may save the weight equivalent to a small lunch sized box of raisins. That's nothing compared to the weight of the motor or battery. How much does it weigh?
Likes For chas58:
Old 12-03-20, 08:35 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
+1 with above; save your money; the bike probably weighs in the 50 pound range (look at electricbikereview), and the difference with carbon rims would not be worth the investment.
Old 12-04-20, 01:15 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The battery and the motor are frequently 15-20lbs. Just for reference, a heavy wheelset is around 2.3kg and a light wheelset is about 1.5kg, so the most you could possibly save by upgrading wheels is 2lbs, that's not much of a dent considering most ebikes are 30+ lbs. Also, the higher speeds and heavier weight of ebikes mean that they're harder on wheels than a normal bicycle.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 12-04-20, 02:09 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rajbcpa

Anyway, I'm assuming the battery is heavy component.

anyway, my bike shop was telling me the carbon fiber wheels can save a lot of weight vs. conventional wheels...

any thoughts in this? Would the difference in weight be small in relative terms?
Depends on which Canondale. The $10K model is reportedly one of the lightest electrics ever made, in which case, the savings could be meaningful, especially if the stock wheels are one of the cost-saving (ja-ja) factors -the "conventional" range is quite broad. They probably did have to go cheap here and there to keep it at $10K, and still maximize margins here to compensate for declining sales elsewhere.

Last edited by BiciMan; 12-04-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 05:23 PM
Anthony8858

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Cannondale weighs 45 pounds!
No problem loading into roof rack..
The extra weight is well worth the enjoyment..

Old 12-04-20, 05:32 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
Depends on which Canondale. The $10K model is reportedly one of the lightest electrics ever made, in which case, the savings could be meaningful, especially if the stock wheels are one of the cost-saving (ja-ja) factors -the "conventional" range is quite broad. They probably did have to go cheap here and there to keep it at $10K, and still maximize margins here to compensate for declining sales elsewhere.
That model also uses a rear hub motor, so you can only upgrade the front wheel, saving maybe 200g.
Old 12-11-20, 12:49 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony8858
My Cannondale weighs 45 pounds!
No problem loading into roof rack..
The extra weight is well worth the enjoyment..
Don't know how long you have been carrying your bike on the roof rack but just FYI a couple of teams in our tandem club have destroyed their VERY expensive rigs and in one case, caused extensive damage to their garage by forgetting the bike was on the roof when they drove inside. I always get a cramp you know where when I see someone drive by with a real beauty ($$$) of a bike soaring high above the road. Don't want to put the whammy on you but that's a real beauty you got there.