Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need some creativity help for putting a basket on my bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 10:12 PM
catinmybasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got my hands on a rusty basket I want to put in my own bike. (after un-rusty-ing it)

Problem is, I realized that my bike doesn't have that pair of small holes in the center of the front wheel to support the basket.

All I can come up with is drilling those holes myself (there's enough metal space to do so), BUT I don't know if that may affect the bike negatively, you know like producing a small crack and that building up over time.

I would make a crappy wire+tape support but the cargo is priceless.

I want to add pictures but my pc won't recognize my phone rn so I'll try tomorrow morning
Old 12-04-20, 10:38 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
You can attach the basket support to the fork using clamps, also there are some that can be attached directly to the axle/quick release. Google "front rack no eyelets" or "front rack p-clamps" for some ideas.

Last edited by Reynolds; 12-04-20 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 11:34 PM
catinmybasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, I'll try to get my hands on those.

I just hope they can resist a decent amount of weight
Old 12-04-20, 11:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by catinmybasket
Sounds like a great idea, I'll try to get my hands on those.

I just hope they can resist a decent amount of weight
Most baskets are good for maybe 10 kilos/20 lb - any metal P-clamp should be good for that. When you say the cargo is "priceless", what are you talking about? You're not putting a kid in this, are you? Unless you're transporting Rembrandts, I can't think of any other "priceless" cargo.
Old 12-05-20, 07:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Most baskets are good for maybe 10 kilos/20 lb - any metal P-clamp should be good for that. When you say the cargo is "priceless", what are you talking about? You're not putting a kid in this, are you? Unless you're transporting Rembrandts, I can't think of any other "priceless" cargo.
You may want to check out the OP’s username.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-05-20, 07:18 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You may want to check out the OP’s username.
ha! Never even noticed😟 p-clamps will be fine so
Old 12-05-20, 08:04 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
this is one of the more genius ideas I have learned from this site.

My cat weighs 16 pounds so think I would need to make mine out of heavy gauge cromoly. But for a normal sized cat in a wicker basket this could be the ticket.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...e-support.html

Old 12-05-20, 03:42 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I cannot reconcile "de-rusted old basket, crappy wire + tape support" and "priceless cargo". Show us what you're working with. At a minimum you need some kind of front rack to support your basket OR you can buy (cheap!) a basket with built in supports from WALD. They make good stuff and it is reasonable in price because it is steel (heavy) and the market for steel is mainly non-performance (i.e. utility) oriented consumers. Both of my recent kitties HATE travel of any kind. I literally have to sedate them for vet visits. Just getting the carrier out made (both have gone on) them vanish, never to be seen until the threat was past.
Old 12-05-20, 04:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
If you can fit one of these racks on the front of your bike (bike needs v-brake or cantilever brake studs and a hole in the fork crown), I'd use this rack and zip tie the basket to it. You can get these racks for less than $20, and I think it will be stronger than using the stamped steel struts that come with Wald baskets.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Gold-...40&sr=8-2&th=1
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-06-20, 04:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Does your basket interfere with the cables of your bike? If it does the basket is a good no go already as it will negatively effect your shifting and more importantly braking which you don't want to do with precious cargo. Also do you want to put "precious cargo" in a rusty old basket? Do you truly trust it? If you are looking to put a front rack on the bike I would look at a fork that can handle a proper rack and is designed for a front load. P clamps can work or something like these would work potentially but again wouldn't you rather have proper mounts for "precious cargo". Plus I would want a proper rack and better basket or maybe even a well secured bag.

If I personally was to carry a cat, dog or other animal on my bike I would probably put them in the rear, so they don't effect steering. That way I can use something like the Racktime racks and modify and use one of their BaskIts or BoxIts with a small animal bed and maybe some sort of mesh cover. When not carrying an animal I can use panniers or other Racktime accessories and remove quite easily. I can use the TopIt rack in the front with some of the BaskIts but honestly I don't want that extra weight effecting steering with living cargo especially.
Old 12-06-20, 05:28 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If I personally was to carry a cat, dog or other animal on my bike I would probably put them in the rear, so they don't effect steering.
Personally I'd want them in the front to keep an eye on them.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-06-20, 08:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
+1. If they're in the back you'd be looking back a lot that could be dangerous.
Old 12-06-20, 10:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Originally Posted by tyrion
+1. If they're in the back you'd be looking back a lot that could be dangerous.
Possibly if I didn't have a secure set up. Honestly I could easily get a mirror and a properly enclosed basket and be OK. Granted I wouldn't have taken my cat riding, I just don't think she was going to be down for that. She liked to explore but didn't care for moving vehicles so much.