Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

3T Exploro Race GRX 2X or Cervelo Aspero GRX RX810

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-15-21, 07:27 AM
bretton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at two options for a new bike. I have it down to two choices

I will use it 50/ 50 road and gravel no racing strictly recreational. My main goal is to find a comfortable bike as I do not like to hunch over.

Any thoughts between the two
Old 01-15-21, 07:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Dont like to hunch over?...In general, I would say neither really fit that goal. But its all perspective- what you feel is hunched over, another cyclist feels is comfortable cruising.
Between the two bikes, the 3t consistently has the same or higher stack height and less reach for each frame size. The Cervelo is therefore going to be 1-1.5cm more reach. That will stretch you out more(hunched over?) which you said you want to stay away from.

...of course 'hunched over' can mean you dont want to feel cramped in the drops because not enough room leads to you having to hunch over to fit. If thats what you mean, then you want a bike with longer reach to stretch out which avoids the hunching issue. In that case, the Cervelo will give you a better fit.

Same term, two different ways to use it.

They are pretty darn similar across the sizes- extremely similar bb drop, wheelbase, and seat tube angle. One thing to note- the Cervelo has an adjustible rake fork which will change the steering feel depending on setting. That could be important to you.
Old 01-15-21, 08:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I don’t think either of those bikes were designed with comfort as a priority, so are you asking about geometry differences and how you’ll fit on the bikes? If so, we need more info about you for that.

if you’ve already determined you won’t be hunched over and want help deciding between the two, a bit more info would be helpful, there, too, as the bikes aren’t radically different in purpose, so it’s the details which would recommend one over the other.

For example, are you an all-weather rider who appreciates protection? Exploro has fender mounts but Aspero does not. Could be a factor, but might not. Similarly, if future-proof is an appealing idea, that Aspero uses a conventional seatpost while Exploro uses a proprietary shape and internal binder may be worth considering.

Barring more info for a more insightful assessment, just buy the cheaper one, because they’re both sweet.
Old 01-15-21, 08:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Since you already have an (older?) Aspero, you should be in a good position to know if the fit suits you. https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...700-x-37c.html
Old 01-15-21, 08:53 AM
bretton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Since you already have an (older?) Aspero, you should be in a good position to know if the fit suits you.
I was jumping the gun.. I haven't pull the trigger yet

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-16-21 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-15-21, 09:36 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
This is a confusing thread. You state "no racing strictly recreational. My main goal is to find a comfortable bike as I do not like to hunch over" but you are shopping two $4500 race-oriented aero gravel bikes?
These are both awesome bikes, but neither seems like a good option if those statements are your priorities. The point of these bikes is to be light, fast and aero.

The CyclingTips review of the Cervelo Aspero states: "In fact, the stack and reach aren’t all that far off a Specialized Tarmac... In other words, if you’re specifically looking for a new gravel bike with casual upright positioning, you should probably look elsewhere; this is not the gravel bike you’re looking for."
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-15-21, 05:20 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Is it April 1st?
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-15-21, 08:14 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Neither of these rate very high on the comfort scale for a gravel bike. They are on the racier side, are stiffer and have lower stack that would make you "hunch over" more. A Salsa Warbird, Giant Revolt, Jamis Renegade or even an Open UP would have a more compliant ride with more stack height (except the Open is on the low stack height side). The more comfortable all-day gravel bikes that are most popular have a longer weelbase, taller stack and slacker steerer angle.

Some folks do prefer stiffer, shorter and low stack gravel bikes but those folks are more interested in racing and are willing to have a less comfortable bike for some racing advantage. Those riders are a much smaller group of gravel riders, and they buy bikes like Allied, Cervelo and 3T...
Old 01-15-21, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Neither of these rate very high on the comfort scale for a gravel bike. They are on the racier side, are stiffer and have lower stack that would make you "hunch over" more. A Salsa Warbird, Giant Revolt, Jamis Renegade or even an Open UP would have a more compliant ride with more stack height (except the Open is on the low stack height side). The more comfortable all-day gravel bikes that are most popular have a longer weelbase, taller stack and slacker steerer angle.

Some folks do prefer stiffer, shorter and low stack gravel bikes but those folks are more interested in racing and are willing to have a less comfortable bike for some racing advantage. Those riders are a much smaller group of gravel riders, and they buy bikes like Allied, Cervelo and 3T...
Old 02-08-21, 07:48 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I have to agree with others and say both of those bikes are aimed at the racier side of gravel and almost every review of either has said that they both have a rather harsh ride offroad. If you want a bit more relaxed, lightweight frame, and comfortable ride, look at something like the Warbird or for a bit more money the Open UP, UPPER, or OPEN WIDE.
Old 02-08-21, 08:01 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
To echo the other comments here, I would say you've likely picked the two worst options for your stated preferences. Both great bikes, but these are two of the raciest, least "comfortable" gravel bikes on the market. Take a look at the Salsa Warroad or Kona Libre. Those are more what you seem to be looking for.
Likes For Hiro11: