Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove a seized bolt

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 02:20 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone know how to remove a seized bolt? I have a bolt directly threaded under the bottom bracket shell that is holding the plastic bottom bracket cable guide. I've tried everything. Water, WD40, but I cannot remove it. It is really stuck in there. Any ideas?
Old 01-10-15, 03:07 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
i use a product called Reducteur H-72, industrail commercial grade.... dunno if its available in your location

helps release rusty nuts and bolts, in 30 seconds, it really does the trick {every time!
Old 01-10-15, 05:48 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
Two other products that are more available in the US are PB Blaster and Kroil. You did not mention your frame material. I will assume it is metal. Spraying this on the outside may help you out. I think your best bet would be to remove the bottom bracket and spray the oil on the other side of the screw. This will get the fluid into the threads.

If the screw extends into the bottom bracket I would grind off the rusty bit that sticks out.

If you have stripped the head of the screw you may have to use vice grips to grab the head. If that fails you may need to drill out the screw. Start with a small drill perfectly centered and work up very slowly. Hope this helps.

Ride Safe,

Joe
Old 01-10-15, 07:02 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Lots of penetrants out there that will do the job, water and WD40 are not one of them, it helps to tap on the stuck bolt to help the penetrant do it job and get into the threads.
Old 01-10-15, 07:15 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
P B Blaster!! Just started on an older frame and it works great!
Old 01-10-15, 07:18 AM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A manual impact driver will work. It's a brute force tool I'd usually not use on a bicycle but for the screw that holds on the cable guide, it'd be okay. It's cheap and a tool worth keeping in your toolbox anyway.

Impact driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-10-15, 07:22 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Best I have ever used:

LPS Labs 01916 LST Penetrant - 11 Oz. Aerosol Can - VV-P-216C at SkyGeek.com

Old 01-10-15, 07:29 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Drill it out? The location suggests that a slightly larger, replacement, screw would go unnoticed.DELRON UNDER BOTTOM BRACKET GUIDE :: BRAZON/SMALL PARTS :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.
Old 01-10-15, 08:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Try a 50-50 mixture of naptha and automatic transmission fluid. Give it a little time to penetrate.
Old 01-10-15, 10:29 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
Anyone know how to remove a seized bolt? I have a bolt directly threaded under the bottom bracket shell that is holding the plastic bottom bracket cable guide. I've tried everything. Water, WD40, but I cannot remove it. It is really stuck in there. Any ideas?
First question: have you broken away the cable guide so that you can just grab the screw with pliers? Are you trying to salvage the cable guide? They are less than $1- each if you purchase dozen; $5- or so each at the LBS. Chemicals (as listed in the posts above) that are effective on helping getting the screw out will damage the cable guide.

An impact driver will dent the BB shell; which will be difficult to repair.

Using a drill to remove the head of the screw, which will then allow removal of the cable guide, followed by pliers on the remains of the screw will be effective. New screw required.
Old 01-10-15, 10:37 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In addition to Nigel's excellent advice, I'm surprised that no one has suggested using heat. You don't need a blow torch to apply a bit of heat to the part, though it would certainly be effective. Just touch the head of the screw with a soldering iron and let a little heat penetrate the bonded parts. Watch out for flames if you're using solvents around hot tools! YMMV.
Old 01-10-15, 02:17 PM
bellweatherman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi guys. Thanks for your great advice. The suggestions were fantastic and I was able to get the bolt out not long ago. I think all of the suggestions would have worked fine.

I was just about to head to Home Depot and look for some bolt penetrant such as Liquid Wrench, but thankfully I didn't need it. In the end what worked best for me was a hammer and some vise grips. I sprayed some WD40 on and inside the BB she'll and let it sit overnight. Its true that WD40 isn't a bolt penetrant and not as effective as the other bolt penetrant a mentioned, but I had some lying around the garage. I came back in the morning and turned the frame upside down and hammered lightly on the bolt head to try to maybe break any time rust that may have been covering the threads. Then, instead of using the screwdriver, I used some vise grips as were mentioned by some users here. There was just barely enough of the bolt head sitting on the plastic cable guide that I could clamp on to. I clamped on to the bolt head very tightly with the vise grips and did a couple turns. And voila! The bolt started to turn. Joy! Thank you again everyone!

Last edited by bellweatherman; 01-10-15 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 02:22 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bellweatherman
I was just about to head to Home Depot and look for some bolt penetrant such as liquid nails, but thankfully I didn't need it.
Liquid nails is glue.......
Old 01-10-15, 02:43 PM
bellweatherman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsa103
Liquid nails is glue.......

Oops! I meant the Liquid Wrench product, not Liquid nails. I made the edit above. Sorry. Thanks everyone for the great advice!
Old 01-10-15, 03:24 PM
Captlink

Bikes: Univega/custom,Evil Brut Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a bike mechanic but I slept in a cheap motel.
If you use Kroil, heat & cold with a firm smack from time to time with a well fitting screwdriver or pin punch and hammer it works every time.I remove 100 year old bolts all the time this way.Most times the bolt or screw is saved as well.It may take a day or a week but works without drilling and possible damage.
Old 01-10-15, 04:42 PM
Scratcher09

Bikes: '80 Miyata 210, '05 Fuji Team Issue, '75 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 2010 BMC Racemaster, '77 Raleigh Grand Prix, '83 Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I restore 70's and 80's motorcycles so I often run into frozen fasteners. Here are some things to try (usually in this order):

Allow PB Blaster to soak and tap with a hammer

Apply heat

Use an easy out (with reverse drill bits)

Weld a washer on to fastener (or what's left of it) and weld a nut on to washer giving u extra leverage

Sometimes it helps to alternate between loosening and tightening directions. I've had some incredibly tight bolts that first moved in the tightening direction, then came out.