Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

riding in the heat

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

riding in the heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 12:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Boy Timmy you sure are a fart smeller,,I mean a smart fella,,,,,,
Never confuse lack of talent for genius.
- Pete Steel

I enjoy Craft mesh base layers when it is really hot.

-Tim-
Old 05-02-17, 01:22 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I didn't read all the posts so I apologize if this was already mentioned. I lived and rode in and around Jacksonville, FL for many years and never really let the heat...regardless of the time of day...keep me from riding. You probably already do this, but make sure that you keep plenty of money (or credit card) with you so that you can purchase more fluids at the next convenience store. So many times I would decide to ride longer that I had planned when I set out and would inevitably run out of fluid. Don't forget sunscreen either.

Dan
Old 05-02-17, 02:49 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
I dunno if it's just me.....but I find actually RIDING, however hot it is, isn't bad; It's when you STOP that the sweat comes pouring out, and you really feel the heat mugging you!
Yeah sorta like falling,,,,, that sudden stop,,,,,
Old 05-02-17, 04:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I dunno if it's just me.....but I find actually RIDING, however hot it is, isn't bad; It's when you STOP that the sweat comes pouring out, and you really feel the heat mugging you!
It's best during afternoon rush hour. Cars have been sitting at every intersection all day, blasting engine heat into the pavement ... and when the cars are gone, the sun takes over.

Pull up at an intersection and it is like stopping on a grill ... baking heat from the 120-whatever degree pavement, plus body heat, plus the sun, plus the cars waiting with you for the light to change ....

There are parts of commuting I do not miss.
Old 05-02-17, 04:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
It's best during afternoon rush hour. Cars have been sitting at every intersection all day, blasting engine heat into the pavement ... and when the cars are gone, the sun takes over.

Pull up at an intersection and it is like stopping on a grill ... baking heat from the 120-whatever degree pavement, plus body heat, plus the sun, plus the cars waiting with you for the light to change ....

I'd rather be on my bike in that hot intersection than in any luxury or sports car on the road.
Old 05-02-17, 04:57 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs

Ya know, all this time I was giving cycling credit for acclimating me to the heat; but now that you've reminded me of how it was in the city, I'm beginning to think that maybe moving to a very rural area, where I can ride for miles without ever coming to a stop, and where the balmy breeze caresses my skin as I pedal, may actually have more to do with it! (Last ride I did: 26 miles- saw maybe 5 cars....).

'Course, there is one traffic light in the county where I now live. I've never had the opposrunity to ride past it. Maybe I'll try it in the winter, when I need some heat!
Old 05-02-17, 05:01 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah sorta like falling,,,,, that sudden stop,,,,,
I'm goinmg to try riding in a loose cotton shirt. Bike jerseys feel hot.

To those who thought it was impossible for me to be any fredlier.....guess again! (Now I'm wishing I still had my Venge, for full fred-effect!). And you know, wearing such a shirt gives one the opportunity to carry a pocket-protector......
Old 05-02-17, 05:14 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
You're not going to shock me stucky unless of course you come and say you're engaged,,,,, but yeah pocket protector , horned rimmed glasses,,,, that's too much
Old 05-02-17, 05:18 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Ya know, all this time I was giving cycling credit for acclimating me to the heat; but now that you've reminded me of how it was in the city, I'm beginning to think that maybe moving to a very rural area, where I can ride for miles without ever coming to a stop, and where the balmy breeze caresses my skin as I pedal, may actually have more to do with it! (Last ride I did: 26 miles- saw maybe 5 cars....).

'Course, there is one traffic light in the county where I now live. I've never had the opposrunity to ride past it. Maybe I'll try it in the winter, when I need some heat!

Yes, I concur, rural riding is a blessing and I am fortunate to live in a rural area. However, I do get many diesel pickups "rolling coal"
because I detained their progress.
Old 05-03-17, 07:46 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You're not going to shock me stucky unless of course you come and say you're engaged,,,,, but yeah pocket protector , horned rimmed glasses,,,, that's too much
Now you guys of all people should realize how marriage interferes with one's hobbies! And it seems like ALL of my hobbies are of the variety that women, for some strange reason, tend not be on-board with- like cycling; dogs; belching and farting.....

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Yes, I concur, rural riding is a blessing and I am fortunate to live in a rural area. However, I do get many diesel pickups "rolling coal"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfzUAF2X5s because I detained their progress.
I tried to do that to a cyclist once...but my F250 is a gas job- so I don't think they even noticed....
Old 05-04-17, 07:33 AM
FuntivityColton

Bikes: 2018 SWORKS EPIC, Rocky Mountain Instinct, Stumpjumper Carbon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding in some super hot weather the last few years. North Carolina summers were sticky and HOT and Denver summers are dry....and HOT in the desert. The one thing that I have noticed makes a HUGE difference.......drinking A LOT before the ride. I keep a full nalgene on my desk and try and down it a few times though out the day before a big ride.
Old 05-06-17, 08:00 PM
808spd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, like everyone said. Drink water before the ride and during. I only have one bottle rack on my bike but I have an XL size bottle in it. If you can have two bottle racks even better. If you can get a light colored helmet instead of dark, to reflect the sun's rays away more than dark/black. Maybe some light colored dry wick/microfiber shirts to keep cooler. Suntan lotion, polarized shades.
Old 05-06-17, 10:06 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SE is a big area. Going to assume you're below TN/NC, not in FL, and not along the coast. Those areas have can have very different conditions.

It is still mid spring. It gets much much hotter and much much more humid. That said, there are typically only a handful of days where it is too miserable to ride. You'll know these days.
Old 05-07-17, 12:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In noticed a friend was wearing white long sleeves and full length leggings under his shorts and jersey for his first century+ ride this weekend. I wasn't there but he looked pretty fresh and energetic at the finish line, judging from the video and photos posted on Facebook. I'll have to ask him next time I see him whether the full length white duds helped. After a couple of cool weeks this weekend was unexpectedly warm and sunny, so it would be a good test of full length lightweight clothing for sun protection.

A few times this spring when the temp was in the 80s I wore my long sleeve Champion wicking fabric shirts. They aren't bike jerseys, just generic athletic tops, very thin and breathable. Felt quite comfy, although the safety orange jersey felt a bit warmer than the fluorescent yellow. I may order another in white or other light color to try again.
Old 05-07-17, 01:07 AM
RoadRider4321

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My comment covers two areas of riding in the heat in the southwest.

I'm a former 29 year Las Vegas, NV resident & now a Tucson, AZ resident so you can safely assume I'm familiar with riding in the heat. I have a two-fold response to your comment.

(1) Hydration - Carry enough liquid to stay hydrated. Not staying hydrated is a major consideration when riding in 100+ temps. So drink liquids more than you really think you to while riding.
(2) Sun Screen - DO apply sunscreen before & during your rides. The sun will give you sunburn without it so play it safe and apply sunscreen ever few hours.

I also apply moisturizing body lotion to my exposed skin when I arrive home after a ride. When the temps are 100+ and you've been riding in the sunlight your skin will thank you.

Again, my two major items are hydration & sunscreen!

Last edited by RoadRider4321; 05-07-17 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-07-17, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One word ... Siesta ..

Take a break , stay in the shade until the evening.. start early in the morning .
Old 05-07-17, 12:13 PM
Roadwanderer

Bikes: 1972 Royce Union 5-Speed

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Florida, and it gets hot. I try to avoid taking longer rides between 11am and 3pm. However, I often do take shorter errand-related rides in the middle of the day.

I wear long pants, long sleeves, gloves, broad-brimmed hat and wrap-around sunglasses to protect from the sun. And I bring at least 20 oz of water to protect from dehydration.
Old 05-07-17, 07:45 PM
TheLastOfUs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live...always hot. So I only ride in very nice weather...so rarely