Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Do I need a derailleur hanger extender?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-13-20, 10:20 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey guys -

So I'm working on my vintage Bridgestone MB-3 1x11 conversion and the Box Two derailleur I bought won't shift into the three biggest cogs on the Box 11-46 cassette I bought along with it. It seems like the upper derailleur pulley wheel won't clear the cassette. Is this just because I'm testing it without a chain on it yet? Or do I need a derailleur hanger like this or this one?

Video below:
Old 12-14-20, 08:58 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Notice the cage position in the following photos.....

When you've got a chain on the bike with the correct length and the derailleur is properly adjusted, you probably won't have a problem if the derailleur is rated for the cassette that you have.

Last edited by cobba; 12-14-20 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 10:00 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
have you adjusted the b tension screw? might just need adjusted to move the top cog out form the cassette. the box derailleur is going to be fitted to the cassette you are using most likely. b tension is that screw that pushes the derailleur against the hanger, in your case you have an integrated hanger since its an older bike. the only reason for extensions is for derailleur designed for smaller range cassettes.