Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most embarrassing crash?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Most embarrassing crash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-21, 05:34 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
For me it is a tie between:

1. A bee flew into me while I was riding on a local path and fell down into my shirt (with many people around.) I once had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, was supposed to carry and epipen around but had stopped doing so. I came to a halt, tried to get the bee out of my shirt - but, of course, I was clipped in, fell over - into the grass on the downhill side (better than falling the other way onto the path, I guess.) and rolled down the hill a bit while beating at my chest - much to the amusement of everyone staring at me.

2. Same trail (Anacostia Trail outside DC) but in downtown Washington DC on a ride with my wife. She had a fall from her bike a few years ago, broke her shoulder and is very wary of slippery spots, so I usually ride a bit ahead and warn her - yes, essentially "mansplaining." I was warning her of big gaps in the pavement ahead going along the direction of travel and, of course, got my front wheel stuck in one. We were doing less than 10mph at that point, so I had a very slow motion crash and cleverly saved my bike from damage by making sure my left knee stayed between the bike and the pavement - much blood flow and a fine road rash souvenir ensued.
Old 03-12-21, 10:21 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
Not so much the crash but the aftermath...

Back in the days when I was racing I was on a training ride around some of the local villages, on a wet day. Pushing through a corner by a farm I lost the back wheel on a patch of bovine by product and the bike went down, sliding across the road with me attached until it came to rest in a hedge. No one to witness the crash, or to help out, except for a few cows watching in bemusement over a gate, and it took a few minutes to extricate myself from the bike and the hedge (I was tightly strapped in with clips and straps, as this was before the days of Look pedals).

Standing up, making sure I still had everything attached, and straightening the bars I realised that one side of me was now plastered in the aforementioned bovine by product, that I had lost a significant amount of skin on my right leg and arm, that I had lost an even more significant area of fabric on my shorts, and that the quickest way home was through the town centre.

I went the long way home, with leg and arm feeling more painful with every extra yard. The tetanus shot from my doctor the next day was quite unpleasant too.
I believe this is a good place to pull out a quote from my ex's mom, her response to his brother's story about a kid he was on a bike tour with in France, who bailed out and landed in a cow pie. Now, I can't remember if he then mentioned extensive cleaning of the wounds, an infection, a hospital stay, or what, but her remark was, "Cows are not sterile critters." I haven't a clue why I thought that was funny enough that it stuck with me, but it was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned missing skin covered in cow pie...

Originally Posted by jpescatore
For me it is a tie between:

1. A bee flew into me while I was riding on a local path and fell down into my shirt (with many people around.) I once had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, was supposed to carry and epipen around but had stopped doing so. I came to a halt, tried to get the bee out of my shirt - but, of course, I was clipped in, fell over - into the grass on the downhill side (better than falling the other way onto the path, I guess.) and rolled down the hill a bit while beating at my chest - much to the amusement of everyone staring at me.
But we want to know... did the bee get you or not?? (I assume not, as you don't mention another allergic reaction, but...)
Old 03-13-21, 02:50 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Learning to use clipless pedals caused several embarrassing tip-overs. I recall once being on the side of the road, lying flat on my back with the bike in the air above me, because that was the only way I could get enough leverage to unclip one of my feet after going down. Cars just drove on past…

And, of course, they were a couple tip-overs in traffic, at red lights, when I forgot to unclip before stopping. Always happened right in front of a whole bunch of motorists.

Yeah, after using toe clips and straps for 25 years, clipless pedals were a bit of an adjustment for me.
Amen!!! I was riding a brand new bike which had the old bike's SPD pedals. I had only briefly used the SPDs at the very end of the prior season, when my sister said I should go clipless after 35 years. It happened during an emergency stop when a pickup ran a stop sign. As I was falling, I was thinking of all the drivers laughing and saying look at that guy he is tipping over. My wife who was following said I was braking hard with one hand and reaching down out of habit to loosen the toeclip strap with the other. I just tucked in and landed on my shoulder because I did not want to scratch the paint... Unclipping when horizontal was even harder. After 2 years of SPDs I went back to toe clips, more for shoe flexibility. I still have the SPD pedals for longer more remote riding.
Old 03-13-21, 05:35 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
The bee did not get me, but later that summer while mowing our lawn, a wasp did get me - it was painful but no allergic reaction.

The one time I had the reaction I had been riding a motorcycle and something stung me in the neck and luckily I stopped soon after, saw what my arms and face looked like, got back on the motorcycle, drove to the emergency room - which had a long line on a Saturday night.

They loooked at me when I joined the line, said "Hey, you - come up here" and took my blood pressure. It was crazy low and they rushed to give me steroids or whatever they do.

Doctor later said that incident may have gotten venom directly in neck artery, caused the reaction - but that may have triggered development of antibodies.
Old 03-13-21, 06:10 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
My most embarrassing crash resulted in my having to find a towel to wrap around myself, as my shorts were torn off and shredded too much to put back on.
Old 03-13-21, 09:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
not me, but my brother back in the early 70's, he was on one of those awesome center line 3 speed gear shift chopper bikes and was jumping over a home made ramp that would put him about 2 ft over the road. When he landed front wheel first, he slipped forward on the awesome banana seat, racked himself on the center shifter, and then lost control and then he hit the neighbors car ripping off the side mirror with his head.....there were 7 other kids in the hood watching this feat of awesomeness. We laughed, we cried, we regaled the story of the flying chopper for many days after to anyone that would listen to explain the 14 stitches, broken nose, and black eye. He was the hero we needed at that time.

And I might say, mom was pissed as she had to pay for that mirror and getting the door fixed. Never saw that chopper again.

This was the bike

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-13-21 at 10:30 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-14-21, 04:28 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Not me but when I was a kid, the neighbor kid ran smack dab into the side of the local once a day train that was stopped and temporarily blocking the main intersection in a town of 1,800 people. He broke his arm. There were plenty of people helping. He was the son of a prominent local business owner.
Old 03-14-21, 08:58 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
Not me but when I was a kid, the neighbor kid ran smack dab into the side of the local once a day train that was stopped and temporarily blocking the main intersection in a town of 1,800 people.
If we turn to the crashes by others, I have this very talkative friend. To avoid going berserk, I ride behind him enough so that the words become indiscernible. He just needs the presence of someone to talk and everybody is happy. We go down a small street. While it is legal to park there, it is not common. This day there is a car parked there. The friend is immersed in his talking and from his trajectory I begin to sense what is coming. I start yelling from behind to watch out for the car. It makes no difference and he blasts at a full speed into the trunk of the parked car in broad daylight.
Old 03-14-21, 03:05 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I thought of one and then another and then another so too many to choose from.
Old 03-14-21, 09:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Two:

I ran into the back of a Plymouth Horizon in front of the White House while attending an American Chemical Society meeting in DC sometime in the 90s. This was back when the was still traffic on Pennsylvania. I was gawking and didn’t see the car in front of me. I left a thigh sized dent in the hatch. I muttered something like “Sorry,” and quickly rode away.

The second one was on a bike ride I used to lead that I called “Urban Dirt” for the Denver Bicycle Touring Club. I usually lead these in the early spring in town because there’s too much snow higher up. This one was in March and was along Cherry Creek. It’s a lot more challenging than most people thing. Not because the ride is steep or rock but it is in the trees. There was one tricky bit where you had to quickly lean out over a undercut bank of the creek so that your handlebars will clear a tree that leaned towards the creek. As soon as your handlebar cleared the tree, you had to lean back away from the creek to keep the line. I’d done the trail many times without issue.

This particular time, I leaned away from the tree and back like always but my timing was off just a tiny bit. My handlebar hit the tree and it bounced me back towards the creek, I feel on my back into about 3’ of ice cold water. I remember seeing the after close in around me and then jumping up taking a big gasp. Man, was it cold!

If it wasn’t bad enough to have fallen into th creek as the ride leader, there happened to be a March of Dimes Walk-a-thon on the same day on the paved path uphill from the creek. One of the walkers saw be jumping back up out of the creek and asked “Did you mean to do that?” Oh, yeah. Sure. I just jump into creeks in March for fun!

Worse yet, I had to ride the rest of the ride dripping wet...in March!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-14-21, 09:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I’ve told this story here before. In 7th grade I was riding no hands carrying two Super Soakers for a drive-by shootup of my friend’s yard. Made it about a block before walking home with a broken collarbone
Old 03-15-21, 01:00 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
About 13 years ago at a special permitted camping event where people camp on the side of a dirt road where you usually can't, said people, one of them being me, are having breakfast sitting in camp chairs having coffee and relaxing before the days activities and might have an eye on the slightly downhill road on a brisk morning, I decide to ride casually down the road with no helmet, coasting at around 7 mph, no hands, because it is cold they are I'm the pockets.

Well the front wheel hits an unseen pebble and switches the handlebars and I'm instantly doing an endo.

Somehow in what must have looked like a rapid Groucho Marx move i stepped over the bars and rapidly speed walked out of it.

I was effing lucky I did not faceplant.

I'll never ride with my hands in my pockets ever again!!!
Old 03-15-21, 10:00 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Years ago while visiting a friends home, one of their kids had a cheap bike and gave me permission to take it for a spin. While attempting to revisit trials riding in their back yard, the front wheel taco-ed and sent me over the bars only to have a tree interrupt my landing. I became the entertainment. No harm except to the wheel which I gladly replaced.
Old 03-16-21, 10:47 PM
Xyzyxzyg

Bikes: 1983 Kuwahara Nova, 1984 Diamond Back Super Streak, 1990 Diamond Back Topanga, 2004 Fuji Sunfire, 2008 Diamond Back Response XE, 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha, 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2019 Mongoose Stranger Things Edition.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Casually riding, at nearly walking pace, in my downtown food and entertainment area. Very flat streets on a Sunday afternoon.
Saw the most beautiful woman walking with the most graceful stride. She was like a Greek goddess.
That's when my front tire hit the curb, I flipped over the bars, and landed on my feet.
And nobody was watching. Wish someone had been recording so I could watch it.
Old 03-17-21, 12:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It was in the days before clipless pedals. I was wearing toeclips and straps with shoe cleats while riding with my 5 year old son through the neighborhood. As I rode up to say hi to a friend, I realized that I was still securely clipped in and did a slow motion topple over. Then I had trouble figuring how to get unclipped while laying on my side.

The next time that I asked my son to go riding with me, he first asked me which shoes I was going to wear.
Old 03-17-21, 12:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Finishing a ride, the little bump of my driveway threw my chain into the spokes and stopped the bike dead in its tracks. I had already taken my helmet off and had it hanging on my handlebar. The helmet was wrecked protecting the handlebar.