Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the stiffest currently produced chain for a 5 speed rear block?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 05:22 PM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

I finally got the Pro Tour drivetrain together, just need to buy a chain (and overhaul the freewheel). I'm running 48/40/28 rings, a 14-34 Perfect freewheel, with a Suntour Cyclone GT rd. Past forum research has led me to believe that the stiffer the chain, the better the performance for this setup.
So what's the stiffest chain you can buy today?

Old 03-17-21, 06:23 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Sweet. Another Pro Tour build. Always nice to see. However, I fail to see the logic of a stiff chain being beneficial to this component set or any. Suntour Cyclone derailleurs get along with pretty much anything, the crankset looks quite amenable to good shifting, leaving the generously-spaced (cog center to cog center, as well as cog tooth difference) freewheel to allow the chain to find and stay in the gear just fine, unless the rider can't friction shift to save their life. Outside of a reluctance to shift relative to Shimano's Uniglide and later Hyperglide cog designs, a "stiff chain" (which, other than rusty, I have no idea what that could mean...laterally?) prognosis seems like using a whip to get a bunch of fun and obedient Golden Retrievers to do what one wants, thinking that those Retrievers are circus bears or tigers. What are the rationales of these forum members (here or elsewhere?) suggesting "stiff chains"? I'd honestly just put a generic 5/6/7/8-speed KMC chain on it and enjoy the bike.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-17-21, 06:48 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I don't know about stiff, but Boulder Bicycle has had 5 speed chains for reasonable $.
Old 03-17-21, 06:52 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Soma Fab has the 5/6sp Izumi chain, for a reasonable price. Looks every bit the same as something you'd get back in the '70s/'80s.

I think there's an argument to be made for using a stiffer, bushing-equipped chain, with older mechs and freewheels. Its lack of lateral flex makes up for old Suntour rear derailleurs often having a substantial chain gap in the smaller cogs.
Old 03-17-21, 07:01 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Sam,
The Sram chains are the current equivalent of the older Sedis chains that worked very well. They are still priced as a value chain so go for one of those. Smiles, MH
Old 03-17-21, 07:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
regarding the search for a stiff chain... I do understand the general benefit of a stiff chain for vintage setups.

Some years ago, the issue came up on the CR list. By chance, I have two good bikes for demonstrating the amount of deflection of a bushed chain versus a modern bushingless chain. Both have 13-24 freewheels with Campy NR or SR rear derailleurs. One had the original 1974 Reynolds 3/32" chain while the other had a modern-ish Sachs PC48 8 speed chain.

The demonstration consisted of setting up the chain in the middle of the freewheel. The shift lever for the rear derailleur was then pushed fully forward, allowing the derailleur to move as far to the right as the chain would allow it.

I took photos from the rear, showing how far the chains flexed under approximately the same amount of force.

here's the shot of the '74 International with the Reynolds 3/32" chain with bushings....

and here's the Raleigh Team with the 8 speed chain...

The modern chain clearly flexes more under a given amount of force.
Modern derailleurs keep the jockey pulley very close to the cogs, so it doesn't matter much.
For vintage stuff like the Campy NR, a lot more shift lever movement is required to coax the chain from cog to cog.

For the OP's setup, with the big freewheel, I'd expect the Cyclone GT's jockey pulley to be pretty close to the cogs, so chain flex will be less important than on the bikes in my photos.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-17-21, 07:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the setup, with the derailer B-tension screw adjusted properly to match freewheel size, and finally adjusting chain length and even axle position in the dropouts to help the cage meet the freewheel under the best terms.

The stiffer old/traditional chain will feel more responsive on the smallest cogs but will fail to shift as well across the larger ones as a modern 7-8sp chain will.
As well, the older chain is wider so will require much more in the way of trimming adjustments to the front derailer, and will also be much more sensitive to exact lever position for rear shifting.

An old Sedisport chain is narrow but stiff, not as fluid-shifting as modern chain but is sometimes a solution. I don't think it would get along with the Apex crankset however, and a modern Sram chain is no more stiff than any other modern chain.

I'm actually more concerned with how your choice of chain will shift on that Apex crankset, as I've had both vintage and modern chains do a fair amount of skating/surfing on those (I resorted to modifying chainring teeth, applying bevels and subtly bending a few teeth this way and that to make it shift more like a modern setup).

Last edited by dddd; 03-17-21 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 07:38 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Sam,
The Sram chains are the current equivalent of the older Sedis chains that worked very well. They are still priced as a value chain so go for one of those. Smiles, MH
Hey MH, thanks for the input! Which Sram chain are you talking about, exactly?

I've been having some slight difficulties with my fake René Herse suicide front derailleur and these ultra flexible modern chains, too. I'm eager to try something other than the superlight/supercheap Chinese chain I have on there.

Last edited by scarlson; 03-17-21 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 11:19 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Welp, I learned something today. Thanks, guys!
Old 03-18-21, 06:13 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
We're lucky and found more! Regina Black Chain 3/32 for 5sp or wide 6sp
Old 03-18-21, 09:52 AM
MB33 

Thanks for the advice all, I ordered some vintage Regina chain from Boulder Bicycle. We'll see how it works on my setup, I can always go modern if I don't like how it shifts.
Likes For MB33:
Old 03-19-21, 09:15 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I am getting all sorts of security warnings for that Boulder Bicycle web site.
Old 03-19-21, 09:21 AM
MB33 

Yeah the supplied link didn't work for me, I just googled Boulder Bicycle and went from there.
Old 03-19-21, 10:28 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by MB33
Thanks for the advice all, I ordered some vintage Regina chain from Boulder Bicycle. We'll see how it works on my setup, I can always go modern if I don't like how it shifts.
I feel compelled to mention that I use both a vintage Reynolds bushed chain and vintage bikes with SRAM 8 speed bushingless chains. The Reynolds chain does flex less, but it does generally shift slower and noisier. I think the bevels in the SRAM side plates help with chain pickup. The shifting experience with the Reynolds chain is more "authentic", which is why I still use it on the Raleigh International.

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-19-21, 06:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
The stiffest chain is strictly for improved shifting, I presume.

I found my '84 Centurion ProTour in a size 59, great tourer and steady handler on cracked California Santa Cruz mountain roads.