Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Top tube slope

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Top tube slope

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-21, 04:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
So where do lugged mixties fit in this paradigm?
Probably. Mixtes, in my experience, came in one size...to large for the target audience. The 1980 Univega catalog lists only one size...19.5”... for 4 different mixte models. Similar mixties of the same era were about the same size. There wasn’t much discussion with a retailer about “size” for Mixte purchases.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-21, 04:29 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Some fuel to add to this thread.

- Threadless headsets solved a dangerous issue in mountain biking and there is no downside to them so they caught on.
There was actually a fair amount of upside to threadless as well. The stiffer stem made for more precise steering and less flex on hard out of saddle riding. The 2 to 4 bolt faceplate made stem swaps easier as well. I don’t think these were necessarily by design but came about by happy accident.

- Frames come in tons of sizes, even with sloping top tubes. That was true in the 90s, true in the 00s, true in the 10s, and true in the 20s. Im sure one could find bike shop brands with fewer sizes at various points in the last 3 decades, but I sure can find a lot of brands and models with more sizes now than 30-40 years ago.
I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to the bad old days of trying to fit a small person on a bike that was 2 to 3 sizes too large just because there wasn’t any other option.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-30-21, 04:30 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Sorry not to have read every post. Some looked windy.

1959 German touring bike by Hugo Rickert.
Besides, this thread NEEDS pics.

Is it sloped enough? I dunno.

w/ apologies for the 'no-drive side' picture.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-30-21 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 04:38 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I know nothing about road bikes other than what can be casually observed by someone who grew up riding BMX bikes.

This question has probably been asked...

Why were all the top tubes on old road bikes parallel with the ground?
Am I misunderstanding something or over generalizing?

Thank you.
It's probably because all of those hip, cool roadies didn't want to be uncool like grandpa and his old fashioned bike.

Picture from onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-30-21, 04:46 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

That bike makes me want to hit the slopes, nds or not.
Old 03-30-21, 04:51 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
That bike makes me want to hit the slopes, nds or not.
Me too!
Old 03-30-21, 06:17 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Gotcha. But I'm not making an assumption, I'm speaking from experience. I was National Sales Mgr of a B-/C-level line, which introduced compact road frames in '99-'00ish? when the craze started. 1st year of compact we offered fewer road frame sizes, down to maybe 4? S/M/L/XL? Maybe we went from 6 sizes to 4 or 5? The point is we offered fewer sizes that first sloped-tube year, and the Product Manager was thrilled, because he got to cut out a lot of SKUs. I was responsible for selling reps/dealers on the marketspeak reasoning for compact frame superiority. Dealers mostly said "whatevs," but were unhappy because with fewer sizes they often had to swap out stems and seatposts to fit riders, still couldn't fit many riders all that well, and so complained that we didn't offer enough sizes. Product manager complained, internally: "We only switched to compact so we could build fewer sizes, but NOW we have to go back to where we were before?!" He shook his head, and asked the factory to build more sizes for the following model year.

So do all the analysis you want. I was there.

It is also true that mfrs have, in general, offered more sizes moving out of the '80s, including offering women-specific sizing. So many sizes. One of the reasons compact was so attractive, 'cause they thought they could build fewer sizes. Less bother, fewer SKUs, more profit. Only that didn't work out, so they quickly went back to offering more sizes.

You also might notice I specifically mentioned road frames, not ATBs. And the OP specifically mentioned and asked about road bikes. So besides the fact that the OP was specifically asking about road bikes, by '99-'00 nobody was making horizontal top-tube ATBs, so the onset of compact/sloping road frames at the turn of the century has very little to do with ATBs.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I haven’t done a complete survey of every bicycle manufacturer since the beginning of time, but your assumption is flawed. Trek has consistently offered 5 to 9 frame sizes since the 80s. The earliest years have fewer frame sizes then the later years. Cannondale in 1984 offered 4 frame sizes in road bikes. Today, they offer 6. They don’t use a radical slope but they offer more frame sizes. The Specialized Allez was offered in 6 sizes in 1991. Today they offer 7 road bike sizes with a fairly good slope to the top tube. I’ve bought a lot of Specialized mountain bikes over the years and not one has been selected from only 3 or 4 frame sizes.
Old 03-30-21, 08:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Someone once told me that lugs are like strikeouts - they're fascist. ;-)

Fillet brazing and TIG welding opens up the design possibilities, but I do like the look of a vintage, lugged frame.
I had no idea bikes were fillet brazed until this post. My exclusive experience brazing for structure was sticking a steel pipe to a steel plate in welding class.

Fascist. It’s such an emotionally charged word that hardly anybody uses it with respect for the bundle of sticks forced together, the marriage of industry and government, etc.
Old 03-30-21, 08:36 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
Blame it on bean counters too.... With back sloping top tubes, the bike manufacturers can get away with just making three frame sizes. Small, Medium and Large...... The modern companies jump at these opportunities all the time. This includes the industry's decision to build their steel bikes with unicrowns and lugless construction. Cheap and fugleh........
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 03-30-21, 08:38 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Mixte

Probably. Mixtes, in my experience, came in one size...to large for the target audience. The 1980 Univega catalog lists only one size...19.5”... for 4 different mixte models. Similar mixties of the same era were about the same size. There wasn’t much discussion with a retailer about “size” for Mixte purchases.
I just looked it up.

It seems a mixte is what would have been called a “bicycle” in the 1940’s?
Old 03-30-21, 08:44 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by pcb
Gotcha. But I'm not making an assumption, I'm speaking from experience. I was National Sales Mgr of a B-/C-level line, which introduced compact road frames in '99-'00ish? when the craze started. 1st year of compact we offered fewer road frame sizes, down to maybe 4? S/M/L/XL? Maybe we went from 6 sizes to 4 or 5? The point is we offered fewer sizes that first sloped-tube year, and the Product Manager was thrilled, because he got to cut out a lot of SKUs. I was responsible for selling reps/dealers on the marketspeak reasoning for compact frame superiority. Dealers mostly said "whatevs," but were unhappy because with fewer sizes they often had to swap out stems and seatposts to fit riders, still couldn't fit many riders all that well, and so complained that we didn't offer enough sizes. Product manager complained, internally: "We only switched to compact so we could build fewer sizes, but NOW we have to go back to where we were before?!" He shook his head, and asked the factory to build more sizes for the following model year.

It is also true that mfrs have, in general, offered more sizes moving out of the '80s, including offering women-specific sizing. So many sizes. One of the reasons compact was so attractive, 'cause they thought they could build fewer sizes. Less bother, fewer SKUs, more profit. Only that didn't work out, so they quickly went back to offering more sizes.

You also might notice I specifically mentioned road frames, not ATBs. And the OP specifically mentioned and asked about road bikes. So besides the fact that the OP was specifically asking about road bikes, by '99-'00 nobody was making horizontal top-tube ATBs, so the onset of compact/sloping road frames at the turn of the century has very little to do with ATBs.
I don’t know what company you represented but I checked many catalogs across the companies I checked. Your company may have made smaller size runs but I can’t find any difference in frame sizes in the major companies that I checked. I didn’t just check the beginning date and the end dates I gave.

And the frames I checked were specifically road frames. I didn’t look at mountain bikes at all, although sloping top tube had a lot to do with mountain bikes.

Additionally, I was “there” as well. Perhaps not in the industry but as a consumer and an enthusiast. I followed the offerings pretty closely and never noticed a decrease in sizes available in the shops.

Old 03-30-21, 08:51 PM
cyccommute 

I just looked it up.

It seems a mixte is what would have been called a “bicycle” in the 1940’s?
While there may have been mixte frames back then, not all bicycles from the 40s were mixte frames.

Old 03-30-21, 08:51 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by pcb

Is an ATB bike a MTB bike? I was a teenager in the 90’s. I think Mountain bikes with horizontal top tubes were before my time.
Old 03-30-21, 08:53 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Blame it on bean counters too.... With back sloping top tubes, the bike manufacturers can get away with just making three frame sizes. Small, Medium and Large...... The modern companies jump at these opportunities all the time. This includes the industry's decision to build their steel bikes with unicrowns and lugless construction. Cheap and fugleh........
False. Read post 14 above.

Old 03-30-21, 08:56 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

While there may have been mixte frames back then, not all bicycles from the 40s were mixte frames.
Those frames look good and strong. The “backbone” is straight like a bobber motorcycle.

So the stress would go straight from the rear axle to the head stay?

I think it’s weird on some carbon bikes when the triangles don’t meet. The seatstay(?) doesn’t connect to the top tube.

Seems like defeating the purpose of a truss.
Old 03-30-21, 08:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I had no idea bikes were fillet brazed until this post. My exclusive experience brazing for structure was sticking a steel pipe to a steel plate in welding class.

Fascist. It’s such an emotionally charged word that hardly anybody uses it with respect for the bundle of sticks forced together, the marriage of industry and government, etc.
and used for comic effect in Bull Durham.

I thought the wink at the end of my post might have tipped one off to the sarcasm...

BTW, fillet brazing bicycles has been around for a long time. Go look up some of these famous builders:
Jo Routens
Tom Ritchey
Jeff Lyon

Heck, I've made my own lugs using fillet brazing:

One aspect of fascism is conformity. Lugs force conformity to certain frame angles. Unless, of course, you roll your own (example shown above).

Last edited by gugie; 03-30-21 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 09:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
except there aren’t fewer sizes. Trek’s 1983 catalog lists road bikes in 19”, 21”, 22.5”, 24”, and 25,5” sizes. Occasionally, there may have been a 22” frame in the mix. Today, trek road bikes come in 44cm, 47cm, 50cm, 52cm, 54cm, 56cm, 58cm, 60cm, and 62cm sizes. The 44cm is listed in women’s sizes but is available to everyone. That’s 9 sizes vs 5 from “back in the good old days”.

From the standpoint of someone who has fought long and hard in the “size wars”, i can tell you that it’s a whole lot better now than it was back when people told my 5’ tall wife that a 19” frame was “close enough”. A 44cm is probably too tall for her but it’s far closer. And, if you think that close is “close enough” go out and ride around on a frame that is 7 to 9cm (3” to 4”) taller than what you usually ride.

A lot of the reason that 3 fists full of seatpost is possible is that the material used to make the seatposts are so much better. Mountain biking changed the way that we use bicycles significantly. An sr laprade seatpost from 1984 just wasn’t up to the stresses demanded by bicycles that had to be smaller for obvious reasons. The walls on the old laprade post was almost thick enough to qualify the post as a billet rather than a tube. Even then, they didn’t hold up to the bending stresses put on them. I’ve even bent steel seatposts. New materials allowed the posts to be thinner, lighter, and stronger than those old posts.

Yes, but not for the reasons you think. Smaller triangles on the frame as stiffer and the ride is more responsive. It’s more enjoyable to ride a stiff frame than it is to ride a noodly frame. Less material also means less weight. Less weight means the bike is more fun to ride. New technology also makes the bike easier to use and, again, more fun to ride.

Friction shifting is a royal pain. As a kid, i was told by every other kid who was riding a multi gear bike “don’t shift” because friction shifting clatters and clunks and sounds like the bike is going to break. When i got my own multi gear bike years later, i did learn to shift fairly well but i completely understood the problem. Unless you are bold and aggressive, shifting with friction makes a whole lot of noise.today, i click and the bike shifts. I don’t have to worry about trimming the shift. I don’t have to constantly adjust. I don’t have to do anything other than enjoy the ride and shift when and where i want to shift.

Yes, new bikes cost a lot but the price isn’t nearly as bad as many people think it is. Sure there are $20,000 super bikes but the less expensive “regular” bike is a great value for a good machine that works better, for less, then bikes from “back in the day”. People seldom take inflation into account when considering costs. I paid $500 for a miyata ridge runner in 1984. It was the top of the line mountain bike in the miyata line because it was the only thing in the line. In 2021 dollars, that’s $1300. $1300 today buys a hell of a lot better bike! A specialized rockhopper expert cost $1250, has an air shock and a much lighter frame than the ridge runner. It’s also a much more capable mountain bike machine.

All that stuff you pooh, pooh may make the companies more money but it also makes for a more accessible and more enjoyable bicycle experience for the riders.
false, see post 34
Old 03-30-21, 09:29 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

and Bull Durham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-guv9Pd_RA

I thought the wink at the end of my post might have tipped one off to the sarcasm...
yea. Not offended.
More like “How do I make sense of it all and put me and my family in better positions?”

Gave a young Marine a ride a couple weeks ago.
”Here’s what I didn’t know when I was your age. Nobody O4 and above gets in trouble for anything. O5 and above are all going on to lucrative consulting or lobbying positions. Kings sacrifice their own pawns to succeed. The mission doesn’t mean ****- just look out for your friends. You are probably your mom and dads pride and joy- stay safe and look out for your friends, forget about the mission. You’re going to deploy to where I’ve been when you were probably in diapers- that is a glaring clue the whole thing is a racket.”

So you don’t offend me. I’m still trying to figure out how to relate and best position myself now that I see the civic religion cult for what it is.
Old 03-30-21, 09:31 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

and used for comic effect in Bull Durham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-guv9Pd_RA

BTW, fillet brazing bicycles has been around for a long time. Go look up some of these famous builders:
Jo Routens
Tom Ritchey
Jeff Lyon

Heck, I've made my own lugs using fillet brazing:

One aspect of fascism is conformity. Lugs force conformity to certain frame angles. Unless, of course, you roll your own (example shown above).
thats really beautiful metal work.
Old 03-30-21, 09:36 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

My lug. Not nearly so beautiful.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 03-30-21, 09:45 PM
pcb 

Yeah, the bike biz is one of those maybe many? places where they can't figure out what to call stuff. MTB = MounTainBike, ATB = All-Terrain Bike. One and the same. I tend to use them interchangeably, though I find ATB rolls off the tongue easier than MTB. Somebody can do a search of catalogs or whatever to see which was used when, but ultimately I may not matter much. Maybe MTB was earlier, Gary Fisher went with Fisher Mountainbikes way back when, not Fisher All-Terrain Bikes.

And yeah, sloping top tubes came to dominate the product mix pretty quickly. Quickly in the scheme of them being a thing for a little over 40yrs now.

Is an ATB bike a MTB bike? I was a teenager in the 90’s. I think Mountain bikes with horizontal top tubes were before my time.
Old 03-30-21, 09:55 PM
pcb 

Your catalog analysis and consumer-level observations at the time do not persuade me to dismiss/ignore what I saw/heard/experienced from my Product Manager, my sales staff, my sales reps and from my dealers.

And that's the extent of time/energy you'll get out of me.

Happy riding!

I don’t know what company you represented but I checked many catalogs across the companies I checked. Your company may have made smaller size runs but I can’t find any difference in frame sizes in the major companies that I checked. I didn’t just check the beginning date and the end dates I gave.

And the frames I checked were specifically road frames. I didn’t look at mountain bikes at all, although sloping top tube had a lot to do with mountain bikes.

Additionally, I was “there” as well. Perhaps not in the industry but as a consumer and an enthusiast. I followed the offerings pretty closely and never noticed a decrease in sizes available in the shops.
Old 03-30-21, 09:56 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Wildwood

Thats a pretty bike. The lugs seem small. But if a frame can be fillet brazed, it might not matter for strength?
Old 03-30-21, 10:07 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
IIRC, the Giant TCR was the first modern road sloping TT bike in 1997. Back then, it was said one of the advantages was to reduce the frame sizes to 3 (S, M, L).
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...ant-tcr-206346
Old 03-30-21, 10:11 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Clear over joints.

Whichever kind. I’ve always had a thing for a raw finish. Maybe a clear powder coat showing the brazing or welding.

I’m a huge fan of honesty. Including revealing structural details.

I think it would even be cool with a clear coated lugged frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.