Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Detroit: Joe Louis Greenway Phase 1 Announced

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Detroit: Joe Louis Greenway Phase 1 Announced

Old 07-31-20, 09:12 AM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts
Detroit: Joe Louis Greenway News

Its a start. When they originally announced it SEVEN years ago I was hoping that the entire Greenway would be completed by now!
Hopefully we'll be able to ride on the portion between E.McNichols and W.Warren before 2025.

Some quotes from 2013
"While there is no definitive timeline for the completion of the railroad path, a rough version of the greenway could be in place in as early as two or three years"
"In total, about half the route is expected to be complete by 2014."

https://wearemodeshift.org/detroits-inner-circle-greenway-project-receives-needed-funding

Joe Louis Greenway Phase 1

The City of Detroit announced the Phase 1 construction of the Joe Louis Greenway. This will mostly be on 3-mile section of the former Conrail property between Warren and Fullerton Avenues. Construction is expect to begin in the spring of 2021. The City adds, “Phase 1 will include separate paths for slow and fast users (such as walkers and cyclists) and will provide safe street crossings and neighborhood connections.” Awesome!

For those disappointed that only 3 miles are being built should remember that Phase 1 of the Dequindre Cut was less than a mile. Greenways that require environmental cleanup and are more than just a strip of asphalt or gravel are expensive. This is a fairly good start that will build momentum for further investment.

In the meantime, the City is asking everyone to take this survey to gather your thoughts and expected uses. The survey will close on August 21st.

The City is hosting an online public meeting on August 13th at 6pm. This meeting is primarily focused on residents in the 48210, 48238, and 48204 ZIP codes as well as Dearborn residents. The City “heard loud and clear” during the Framework meetings that local residents wanted a lead voice in the greenway’s design through their community.

From DetroitGreenways.org

Survey Link
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/56650...ase-1-Survey-1

Last edited by detroitjim; 04-06-21 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 08-19-20, 11:10 AM
313Biker

Bikes: Hybrid, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by detroitjim

Its a start. When they originally announced it SEVEN years ago I was hoping that the entire Greenway would be completed by now!
Hopefully we'll be able to ride on the portion between E.McNichols and W.Warren before 2025.

Some quotes from 2013
"While there is no definitive timeline for the completion of the railroad path, a rough version of the greenway could be in place in as early as two or three years"
"In total, about half the route is expected to be complete by 2014."

https://wearemodeshift.org/detroits-inner-circle-greenway-project-receives-needed-funding

Joe Louis Greenway Phase 1

The City of Detroit announced the Phase 1 construction of the Joe Louis Greenway. This will mostly be on 3-mile section of the former Conrail property between Warren and Fullerton Avenues. Construction is expect to begin in the spring of 2021. The City adds, “Phase 1 will include separate paths for slow and fast users (such as walkers and cyclists) and will provide safe street crossings and neighborhood connections.” Awesome!

For those disappointed that only 3 miles are being built should remember that Phase 1 of the Dequindre Cut was less than a mile. Greenways that require environmental cleanup and are more than just a strip of asphalt or gravel are expensive. This is a fairly good start that will build momentum for further investment.

In the meantime, the City is asking everyone to take this survey to gather your thoughts and expected uses. The survey will close on August 21st.

The City is hosting an online public meeting on August 13th at 6pm. This meeting is primarily focused on residents in the 48210, 48238, and 48204 ZIP codes as well as Dearborn residents. The City “heard loud and clear” during the Framework meetings that local residents wanted a lead voice in the greenway’s design through their community.

From DetroitGreenways.org

Survey Link
https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/56650...ase-1-Survey-1
Survey ends August 21, 2020. I got in under da wire.
Old 10-24-20, 10:47 AM
detroitjim

Virtual Public Meeting For the JLG SHARE YOUR VISION FOR THE GREENWAY

Joe Louis Greenway Design Public Meeting 2

Thursday, October 29th, 6-8pm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/join
Meeting ID: 917 4519 1827

Call-in Phone Number
1(267)-831-0333
Meeting ID: 917 4519 1827

City of Detroit JLG website
https://detroitmi.gov/departments/ge...louis-greenway

JLG phase 1 Presentation
https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...esentation.pdf

They are “aiming to finish Phase I in Fiscal Year 2022.”
Old 11-03-20, 10:09 PM
detroitjim

Cleanup work set to begin on next phase of the Joe Louis Greenway on city’s west side

Cleanup efforts are set to begin this month for a stretch of overgrown rail corridor once owned by Conrail and now owned by the city. Cleanup crews working into the cold months will better position construction crews that are scheduled to begin work in Spring 2021, said Jeff Klein, the city’s deputy chief of landscape architecture.

It’s anticipated that the new pathways will be completed by the end of next year.

https://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/...cMeeting2.aspx
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 11-06-20, 12:41 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
https://www.hourdetroit.com/communit...enway-detroit/
Old 01-04-21, 08:50 PM
Whitecoyote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
I ride near there all the time. Watched Joe Louis get razed.
Old 01-06-21, 03:25 PM
detroitjim

?

Originally Posted by Whitecoyote
I ride near there all the time. Watched Joe Louis get razed.
Nowhere near the old arena.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...20Eng.pptx.pdf
Old 01-08-21, 12:36 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
when i bike it to "The D" from Canton, the southern half of this is about what I ride. Some time I loop Belle Isle, and maybe stop at the Red Hook Cafe.
It'll be nice if they clean up the section of Jefferson through Del Ray - I get nervous through there even though I've had no problems. -- And the heavy truck drivers are super-cool about having folks on bikes around.
This will be a nice loop when it's done. And the bridge! Can't wait until I need my passport to go into Windsor to the Italian neighborhood for an expresso.

Old 02-01-21, 01:07 PM
detroitjim

Joe Louis Greenway land dispute

At least it doesn't effect phase 1. Wonder where they got this from???"finish in late 2021" .
That would be incredible!!! Wonder if the new betting parlors will take any action on their anticipated completion estimate. My money is on the over.

From Crains Detroit.
The city expects to break ground in in May on the first phase of the greenway, pending state environmental approval, and finish in late 2021.
Crews have already started clearing out a pathway for the first leg, a 2.8-mile chunk of the former rail line from Warren Avenue to Fullerton Avenue that intersects with Grand River Avenue near the Dearborn border. It doesn't include the disputed land.
Old 04-06-21, 01:26 PM
detroitjim

Joe Louis Greenway groundbreaking planned for mid-spring 2021, Detroit to release framework plan

Detroit Chief Parks Planner Meagan Elliott expects the city to break ground on the first phase of its non-motorized loop in late April or early May. City officials plan on releasing the framework plan for the JLG at a public ceremony during the groundbreaking.

Complete article. https://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/...framework.aspx
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 04-08-21, 08:27 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim

Joe Louis Greenway groundbreaking planned for mid-spring 2021, Detroit to release framework plan

Detroit Chief Parks Planner Meagan Elliott expects the city to break ground on the first phase of its non-motorized loop in late April or early May. City officials plan on releasing the framework plan for the JLG at a public ceremony during the groundbreaking.

Complete article. https://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/...framework.aspx
Extending the Dequiter Cut north will be really nice. I get nervous with the Q-Line tracks on Woodward. With the new loop I need a special cut through to Great Lakes Roasting on Woodward though. Something just for me. Maybe like an elevated bridge with a fire pole to drop straight down to the front door - or the front of the ordering line!

My last trek was to Belle Isle with a stop and Red Hook. Then I just took Grand Blvd all the way to Tireman, then over to Hines Dr. An efficient route, but not super-scenic. I did get a glimpse of the Packard Plant on that route though.... I just kept moving....
Old 04-08-21, 08:02 PM
detroitjim

Originally Posted by mrv
I get nervous with the Q-Line tracks on Woodward.
Yeah man....lots of folks been getting injured by those tracks . That's why they want you to use parallel paths... Cass west of Woodward or John R east.

They were still constructing the line when I hit the pavement,they were obscured by concrete dust mud .
Just like that commercial" I know there around here somewhere.....Found em."
Likes For detroitjim: