Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a wheelset for my commuter!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 09:34 AM
holtzmanator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey gang! I need help picking out a wheel set for my commuter bike, and I'm hoping you can help. I commute on a single speed cyclocross bike, and for years I've been riding on 700x23c tires on DP18 rims. I stepped up to 700x32 tires because the roads around me are terrible, and so far I've been LOVING the cushy ride on my way to work. Unfortunately, I've been getting flats like no bodies business, and I realized it's cuz my rims (Weinmann DP18's) are WAY too narrow to run these tires. Because of this I can't commute by bike anymore, because the chance of getting a flat and being late to work is just too high. So I'm in the market for a new wheel set or a new set of rims that can fit 32mm tires. That being said, I havn't found a good solution.

I could get these, but they're super heavy and just at the top of my budget:

Velocity Chukker 48 Hole Fixed Gear Singlespeed Wheels Machined Velocity Chukker Bike Polo Fixed Gear Wheelset 48 Hole Machined [72797] - $199.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage b

Or I could get these, they're lighter and way cheaper, but my whole bike is black and blue so it would look kinda silly, but I guess I could deal with that. People compliment my bike all the time but if I need to sacrifice looks for reliability, so be it :

Sun CR18 silver rims Fixed Gear Track Bike Wheelset 36 Hole Sun CR18 silver rims flip flop fixed gear Formula hubs wheelset [71186] - $109.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

Or I could replace just the rims and lace these up to my current hubs, but that seems silly cuz I would then only have the one wheelset and it would cost as much or more than just buying a second set, and then I'd have no rims to mount my 700x23 tires too if I wanted to use them. So probably not the best option.

Velocity Wheels - Hand Made in USA

What would you recommend? Is there another option that I haven't found? I also need machined sidewalls, I ride brakes front and rear, and I need a single speed hub. Thanks for the help as always!
Old 06-16-17, 10:08 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's hard to beat the value of the CR18 wheels from Velomine. You wouldn't be able to buy rims and spokes to re-lace your current hubs cheaper than that. If you have the extra cash and want to bling it up a little the Velocity A23 rims are nice and you can get a cheap set of wheels from Velomine with them too.

One word of advice about Velomine's cheaper wheelsets -- be sure to check the spoke tension after a few rides. Their machine-built wheels tend to need a couple of early rounds of maintenance before they fully settle in. I think they come with a sticker on the rim telling you to do this.
Old 06-16-17, 10:47 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by holtzmanator
Or I could get these, they're lighter and way cheaper, but my whole bike is black and blue so it would look kinda silly, but I guess I could deal with that. People compliment my bike all the time but if I need to sacrifice looks for reliability, so be it :

Sun CR18 silver rims Fixed Gear Track Bike Wheelset 36 Hole Sun CR18 silver rims flip flop fixed gear Formula hubs wheelset [71186] - $109.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
I think those are a fine choice, and no bikes look silly with silver rims. The CR18 rims do come in black though, so maybe keep looking, or ask Velomine if they'll do a special order for you.
Old 06-16-17, 12:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
What kind of flats are you getting? Yes, a 12.4mm internal width is not ideal for 32mm tires, but shouldn't be the cause of your flats unless you're pinching the tube during the install or running your pressures too low.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498