Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I'm OK Never Setting Foot Inside an LBS Again

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-29-17, 10:18 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was someone asking about buying from BD and it just reminded me of the many goofballs I've dealt with over the years at lbs's. There seem to be a handful of specific personality types at the lbs:

1) immature kids such as stoner teens that the shop hired because they're the only person in town willing to turn a wrench all week long for $8 an hour,

2) bored, confused millenials who don't have a career path and are trying to avoid adulting

3) pompous middle aged bike zealot whose ego is completely tied up in owning the latest carbon fiber Dura Ace Di2 wunderbike.

4) late on their rent desperate shop mechanic pushing their used bikes on you instead of the bike you wanted to test ride

5) rip off artist owners trying to upsell you to a $9K carbon road bike with discs when you came in for a $400 hybrid bike.

6) depressed floor sales guy who breaks down emotionally and cries when you come back from a 15 minute test ride and tell him you're going to "think about it" and get back to him.

Walking into a bike shop is just begging to be inundated with endless examples of arrested development. Thank god for internet sales.
Old 08-29-17, 10:25 PM
MikeinFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I encountered one of those types recently and walked out. But I've also encountered very helpful store reps as well at times.
Old 08-29-17, 10:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
There was someone asking about buying from BD and it just reminded me of the many goofballs I've dealt with over the years at lbs's. There seem to be a handful of specific personality types at the lbs:

1) immature kids such as stoner teens that the shop hired because they're the only person in town willing to turn a wrench all week long for $8 an hour,

2) bored, confused millenials who don't have a career path and are trying to avoid adulting

3) pompous middle aged bike zealot whose ego is completely tied up in owning the latest carbon fiber Dura Ace Di2 wunderbike.

4) late on their rent desperate shop mechanic pushing their used bikes on you instead of the bike you wanted to test ride

5) rip off artist owners trying to upsell you to a $9K carbon road bike with discs when you came in for a $400 hybrid bike.

6) depressed floor sales guy who breaks down emotionally and cries when you come back from a 15 minute test ride and tell him you're going to "think about it" and get back to him.

Walking into a bike shop is just begging to be inundated with endless examples of arrested development. Thank god for internet sales.
I just got done car-shopping. Talk about sociopaths? Makes LBS seem like a day in the park.
Old 08-29-17, 11:04 PM
Arizona Nights

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My worst experience was from the Vittorio Brumottis who didn't give a **** about you if you didn't want to gonzo your bike down Half Dome. Sorry that I'm fifty and can't do that anymore. Sorry if I want a hybrid.

On the other hand, my Trek store sellers were fantastic. They asked, listened, and found the right bike for me. That's why I bought a Trek. Note to retailers: good customer service = money in the pocket.

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-30-17 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Bypassing forum censor
Old 08-29-17, 11:24 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm sorry that you've had such crappy experiences with your LBS-s. I've been to ones like you described and try to avoid them. Fortunately, I've lived in places with choices, and there are some good shops out there.

My current LBS is literally a mom and pop shop - owned by two local cyclists who are active road and mountain bikers and super cool people. The head mechanic knows his stuff and loves C&V, and the other main mechanic is also serious business (and an adult). There are quite a few part-time employees who are there, as a second job, just because they love bicycles and helping others love bicycles!

Another good LBS from a place I previously lived became my favorite when I was first into cycling/wrenching simply because they didn't treat me like I was stupid or a lesser being because I had an older bike. Once again, the owner was on site, and had some smart kids (as well as a few of the stoner types) working the shop. They started offering various maintenance classes, and I had an awesome experience taking their wheel building course.
Old 08-29-17, 11:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I had an awesome experience taking their wheel building course.
I'd take a wheel-building course .... but I'd by the parts and tools online.

At some point one can choose to say, "There is very little I cannot fix that another person could fix, very little that I could not research but another person could research, and very little I could buy that I could not get more cheaply Not at a bike shop."

The only reason I could see going to a shop now is to try on Shimanio shoes ... not sure if I want a 46 extrawide or a 47 extrawide .... but no one withing way too many miles carries that much variety, and then there is "Can you order them so I can try them on ... " which leads to some serious discomfort if neither pair feels right.

Why should I pay some ridiculous markup to feel bad? More than likely I will wait to see a pair on deep discount, returned merch, or lightly used, and take my chances on the size and either eat the loss if it is used and try to resell, or send it back if it is discounted.

Frankly I 'd expect a bike shop would thank me for staying away, in this situation.
Old 08-30-17, 12:08 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Bike mechanics should need to be state-licensed, with proven capabilities in the various flanges of bicycle design. As it is right now, they are about as regulated as carnival workers. Finding a good shop can be like discovering an oasis.
Old 08-30-17, 12:24 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I don't hang out at bike shops a lot, but do like to check out the co-op a bit.

However a couple of months ago, I was 75 miles into the 150 mile first day of a several day trip when I got a sidewall bead blowout. Chainstay clearence required 700c×23mm, or possibly 25mm tire. Was a new tire before the blowout.

Anyway I was happy to find an open LBS only 20 miles down the road that had a tire that fit.
Old 08-30-17, 03:13 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I have had good experiences with the local shops around here, except one...I won't go back to that one. Basically for reasons one and two.
Old 08-30-17, 04:39 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've had a much different experience with shops here.

Here is the real problem, consumers come in without knowing what they want. The same is true when trying to purchase a car. One cannot expect a shop to mind read, but they can ask questions then leave you alone to decide what you want to do.

There is also the issue with "tire kickers" who never buy because they really cannot afford the item in the first place. What are they doing shopping. I'd say if more people started to respect these business they would get the respect they need to make a purchase. These shop do not owe you something. They are running a business that requires they make a profit.
Old 08-30-17, 05:00 AM
sfh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I'd take a wheel-building course .... but I'd by the parts and tools online.

At some point one can choose to say, "There is very little I cannot fix that another person could fix, very little that I could not research but another person could research, and very little I could buy that I could not get more cheaply Not at a bike shop."

The only reason I could see going to a shop now is to try on Shimanio shoes ... not sure if I want a 46 extrawide or a 47 extrawide .... but no one withing way too many miles carries that much variety, and then there is "Can you order them so I can try them on ... " which leads to some serious discomfort if neither pair feels right.

Why should I pay some ridiculous markup to feel bad? More than likely I will wait to see a pair on deep discount, returned merch, or lightly used, and take my chances on the size and either eat the loss if it is used and try to resell, or send it back if it is discounted.

Frankly I 'd expect a bike shop would thank me for staying away, in this situation.

I have reached the same point. I don't think I get treated very well at a bike shop, but I've also come to realize that I don't treat the bike shop very well. I was recently bike-shopping for my son. I'd go to the shop to see what was there, but I quickly (in seconds) at each shop would realize that I wasn't going to pay anywhere near LBS prices for a new bike. He rode a couple of bikes and then, out of the sky, fell a perfect bike for him on Craigslist. I DID go back to the LBS and buy accessories for him, but mostly the bike shops were a free demo room for us. I doubt that I'm alone in using an LBS this way, so I don't really blame them for not investing heavily in their workforce.

The one shop where we bought accessories seems to truly understand that MOST people should buy used bikes. That's a shop I don't mind going to, but I sure wouldn't go into an LBS shopping for a bike.
Old 08-30-17, 05:29 AM
Longfellow02

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with many of the above sentiments.
I'm a recent resident of my area, and have started looking at new road bikes, to complement my old hybrid.

I've been to a couple 'very local' LBS so far, and are not very impressed with them.
I'm going to widen the web a bit, to see if I can find a more customer service oriented LBS.

If I have to go 45-60 minutes away for a good shop and positive experience, it's worth it in my opinion.
Old 08-30-17, 05:43 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
For all the talk of department store bikes being put together horribly wrong, I had to laugh at and roll my eyes a little at a Sunday afternoon recent experience. We found a 2016 Verve 3 on steep discount at my LBS that is also a Trek Concept store. My husband was planning on waiting until next year and looking at an FX or a DS but couldn't pass up the deal. We bought it, the shop guy checked it over (their regular mechanic wasn't in) and went for a ride around the park, he took a sharper turn and ended up on the ground, luckily unhurt. The stem came lose so his wheel didn't turn. I'll still go back there, not going to pass up free lifetime maintenance on both bikes, but I'll be more careful in the future.
Old 08-30-17, 05:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Happy to say I have not had those experiences.
Old 08-30-17, 05:46 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I live in a county of 100k people. We have two LBSs here (Next closest shops are ~30 miles or more away). I bought my Domane from one, so they feel invested in me. But, I try to support both (and I get that it is nickel dime stuff) when I can because both are invested in and help maintain the local MTB trails (one on our church acreage and another in planning), sponsor local events, and provide local employment (lately it has seemed important to me to keep some small businesses open...closed storefronts do little good for anyone). I do a lot of my own work (and they know it) and do use internet if I am making big orders and can't lay hands on it locally that day (I have to remember to mentally add shipping cost to internet price when I am quoted the LBS price). It is not a perfect balance, but if I am waited on by that kid who is just learning, or the guy just hanging on, I try to remember that both of them were me when I was working my way through college at the auto parts store 40 years ago.
Old 08-30-17, 05:51 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The area that I am in is fairly cycling popular so there are quite a few bike shops to choose from. One of the more important aspects than showing up in a shop immediately looking to buy, is to shop the people inside. Have a conversation with them. See how busy they are and how they respond to you. Just like people anywhere you aren't going to automatically get along just because of where they are employed. Without coming to a basic understanding or appeal as a person it can be hard to do business.

One of my local shops is SUPER convenient to me. It sits right along a path I ride regularly. There are a few "mechanics" that work there. One of the guys is awesome to deal with, super friendly, knowledgeable without being pushy. The other two are snotty, egotistical, and superior. If I didn't know the other guy was there I would never go in. Now I just know when to go in.
Old 08-30-17, 06:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The OP's post history indicates anger issues.

Guys who work at bike shops probably have the same conversations about customers.
Old 08-30-17, 06:19 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Said

Arizona, you said a mouthful with your post. Customer Service has suffered a tremendous failure in recent years and most retailers have forgotten about building a relationship that will last over multiple purchases and not simply shoot for the "high dollar-one time sale." Thanx for your comment....

Originally Posted by Arizona Nights
My worst experience was from the Vittorio Brumottis who didn't give a **** about you if you didn't want to gonzo your bike down Half Dome. Sorry that I'm fifty and can't do that anymore. Sorry if I want a hybrid.

On the other hand, my Trek store sellers were fantastic. They asked, listened, and found the right bike for me. That's why I bought a Trek. Note to retailers: good customer service = money in the pocket.
Old 08-30-17, 06:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
It's a great time to be a consumer...

because we have so many options at our fingertips. Need to get to a bike shop? There are many transportation options, including cars to pick you up and take you there for a modest fee. You can order this service by phone, if you can imagine. You can buy your frame in China, your component group from the UK, and your wheels from a U.S. builder. Easy peasy...

Want to buy any conceivable type of bike? You can see dozens of them within seconds, determine if there is inventory for your to examine locally, or have one shipped to your local shop. Or, you can have it shipped to your home in a matter of days. Incredible.

Want to buy a bike used? There are many local sellers who offer every type of bike that you can imagine right in your locale. They provide photos of the bikes. You can set the budget and negotiate the price. It's easy and fast - and communication with the seller is simple.

One used to look through the Sears catalog, place an order by phone or letter, and wait for delivery to either a catalog center for pickup, or to a local post office, who would hold the package. The process took sometimes weeks.

The same held true whether you were buying a pressure cooker, hunting rifle, or bicycle. Catalog and wait. Now, things are so easy. Plus, you can talk about your frustrations with hundreds of strangers on the computer. What could be more therapeutic?

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 08-30-17 at 06:25 AM. Reason: punctuation
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-30-17, 06:38 AM
PortlandEddie

Bikes: Fuji cross

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had issues with my LBS. Which sucks because I don't even want to go in them anymore. And i live in a huge bike town Portland OR! I just go in buy what i want and don't talk to anyone else. if happen to make the mistake of asking someone for something we end up talking about things i don't want and are triple of what i came into the store to spend. I sometimes wonder if they get a cut from sales not comission only but geez the way they push sales it's like if they don't sell they will die. Well maybe oneway i will find a nice relaxing LBS where i don't have to worry about pushy sales staff.
Old 08-30-17, 06:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Considering that describes the workers at nearly every store and restaurant and bar and entertainment venue I go to, I really hate to think how you get about in society at all.

Although, I always get a chuckle out of the old farts who can't make an argument without blaming millennials in some manner.
Old 08-30-17, 06:43 AM
Elessar
R*dRid*r

Bikes: 1993 Diamondback Ascent EX black 22.5", 2018 Trek FX 3 Red 25"

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chuck, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about the customer "knowing what they want." I've worked in retail as well as preventive maintenance industries of customer service and I always approach every customer as if they are at the beginning of their search for information about my products. You mentioned about customers asking questions and I believe that it is part of the salesman's job to also ask questions to help inform the customer about the product in which they're interested.

I never thought of my customers as a "sale" waiting to happen. The core of my business approach was based on education and I felt that it was my job to assist in educating my customer to enable them to make and informed decision about a purchase. Notice that I didn't say an informed purchase because sometimes an informed customer realizes that they shouldn't purchase anything. The internet can be a very valuable tool in extending this educational search and assist the customer in finding out more about the product or service in which their interested.

There have been a few times in my life when I've been on the receiving end of such a customer service approach and it is so comforting to know that the person with whom I'm speaking is more interested in assisting me in making the best decision for me that everything else is easy.

Customer service skills have died in America, for the most part, and many of the employees that you meet in a retail environment are clueless about what their real job should be in cultivating a long time customer. Unfortunately, the internet has stripped much of the profit from LBS and reduced the sale agents to minimum wage robots without a brain regurgitating canned facts and not really helping the customer. The internet has also made it real easy for anyone to buy almost anything for a cut rate price. However, when you're shopping on price alone, you loose a lot of the services and personal assistance that may be required in the education of the customer who "doesn't know what he/she doesn't know."

A friend recently bought to hybrid bikes online and have taken up biking with us. Unfortunately, these same friends didn't know anything about fitment or purpose so they have two new bikes that don't serve them very well and are already looking to purchase two more bikes to replace their new online bought bikes. I would think that this could be a common problem that many riders might encounter that could turn them away from riding because of ill fitting equipment that creates a poor experience.

I am a big proponent of supporting local businesses of all kinds because these types of businesses are usually staffed by friends, neighbors and residents of our communities. I support "shop local, buy local, live local." The responsibility of becoming an informed customer is totally upon me but great customer service can go a long way to create a credible relationship that benefits everyone including the local economy.

Just my $.02 worth of preaching and not worth the paper it's written on...I'll get down off my soapbox now. Thank you for reading my rantings...

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I've had a much different experience with shops here.

Here is the real problem, consumers come in without knowing what they want. The same is true when trying to purchase a car. One cannot expect a shop to mind read, but they can ask questions then leave you alone to decide what you want to do.

There is also the issue with "tire kickers" who never buy because they really cannot afford the item in the first place. What are they doing shopping. I'd say if more people started to respect these business they would get the respect they need to make a purchase. These shop do not owe you something. They are running a business that requires they make a profit.

Last edited by Elessar; 08-30-17 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 06:46 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
At the shop I work at, if you come in asking about a $400 hybrid, that is what I will put you on. If you ask about a $5k race bike, that is what I will put you on. We listen to the customer and get them set up appropriately. I will show you other bikes close to that price range, like a $500 hybrid that has disc brakes, but if you want to take that $400 hybrid on a ride, I pull it down and we prep it, and you go ride. When you come back, if you decide to think about it, we say thanks for stopping in, put the bike back on the rack and continue on to the next customer. No tears shed. No one gets upset. Not even if I spend 2 hours with you while you piddle paddle and ponder on making a decision.

Sounds like you haven't found the right shop yet.
Old 08-30-17, 07:10 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
That seemed harsh OP.

I don't see how any LBS, or by extension any hobby shop, stays in business in the Amazon era...
Old 08-30-17, 07:49 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I happen to have a pretty good LBS here in North Dallas, and thought the customer service and sales people are excellent. The small gear is what I buy online. I like to have them around for the bikes themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.