Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 10:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I think it is 6E96860 with the C being an incomplete 0. Which means it's probably a 1986 model. Offhand, I don't recall seeing an Nishiki tandems in my literature. I'll have to doublecheck. Given the small market for tandems, Kawamura proably subcontracted production, which would explain the different serial number format. I'm sure the Nishiki fans who follow this thread will be anxiously awaiting more pics.
Old 09-09-09, 11:43 AM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. Maybe I can get it cleaned up this weekend. Shoulder feels better daily!
Old 09-09-09, 01:50 PM
JohnKScott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...lookie what I found. I mine clearly says Nishiki on it but here is a Kuwahara tandem that looks exactly like the one I just bought. Drum brake and all. Although this one is much prettier at this point . This looks a few years older too as I believe the one I got has 7 cogs where this one has 6. But yeah, this is what it could look like when cleaned up and fixed up a bit.

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...MY3ElAe0l5iRBw
Old 09-09-09, 03:18 PM
T-Mar

I don't believe your tandem is a Kuwahara, despite what may be a similar appearance. All the Kuwahara I've seen use a different serial number format and place it on the lower, seat tube.
Old 09-12-09, 04:27 PM
JohnKScott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK update. First, I had the SN wrong. That's what I get for just reaching my cell phone underneath and snapping a picture. The SN is T6E9683C (except the last C is backwards). It has 6 cogs in the back, not 7 that I thought earlier. Suntour mountian-LX RD, Suntout XC FD, Sugino triple crank, Suntour F&R brakes with drum rear drum brake, Diacompa brake levers & bar end shifters. I guess that's the major stats.

My daughter and I took it out for her maiden voyage. She was freaked at first getting started. A whole new feel she's not used to. But once we got going she did great. Unfortunately, she needs new tires. Pumped them up and got a half block and the front started bulging out. It was ready to blow. So off we got!

Here are some pics after we got her cleaned up a little (spent two hours. Could have spend double that easily. It was filthy! Plus I probably lightened the bike by 5 pounds taking old tape, speedo wiring and TT clip ons off.

Old 09-13-09, 04:16 PM
k_b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a Nishiki a few months ago. I'm pretty sure it's an Olympic, but most of the outer decals have worn off. I know it's pre-1975, but that's all I really know.

Info:
Serial #: KS238435 with a W stamped below them
Dia-Compe drop-forged brakes
Initials SR on stem.
"Japan Champion" on handlebars
Stem-mounted Shimano shifters
Shimano Thunder Bird front derailleur
Shimano Eagle rear derailleur
Cranks with chainguard attached. Bolts on chainguard have "American Flyer" written around them, and Japan with the Nishiki flag on the chainguard.
Pedals with KKT-RT-SF stamped on them.
Lugged steal (heavy) frame. Nearly all the decals have worn off. Nishiki in bamboo-style typeface.
WCCSC stamped on dropouts

Photos:

Any information you have on this bike would be appreciated. I plan on stripping it down and cleaning/repainting it, then converting it to a single-speed and using it as a commuter.

Last edited by k_b; 09-13-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 07:02 AM
T-Mar

Yes, it's definitely a 1973-1974 Nishiki Olympic. The higher end models used SunTour derailleurs and had cotterless cranks. The Olympic is distinguished from the entry level Custom Sport by the chromed fork tips. 6th in a line-up of 7 lightweight (i.e. 10 speed) models. Orignal price approximately $120 US.

Given that it is Shimano equipped, about the only date codes you'll be able to pull off the components will be the handlebars and stem. There should be open format codes at the ends of the bars and below the insertion mark on the stem. I'd appreciate knowing what you find.
Old 09-14-09, 07:18 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by JohnKScott
OK update. First, I had the SN wrong. That's what I get for just reaching my cell phone underneath and snapping a picture. The SN is T6E9683C (except the last C is backwards). It has 6 cogs in the back, not 7 that I thought earlier. Suntour mountian-LX RD, Suntout XC FD, Sugino triple crank, Suntour F&R brakes with drum rear drum brake, Diacompa brake levers & bar end shifters. I guess that's the major stats....
Thank-you for the pics. She's a beauty. While I still can't tell you who manufactured the frame, the decal style does confirm 1986. In case you are interested, there would appear to be some obvious updrages. The roller-cam front brake would be original, while the U-brake rear would not. The rear derailleur, which I assume you meant was Shimano Sport LX, is also a later addition. It may have been part of an upgrade to SIS. Also, that stem would appear to be a bit modern for the era. What do the decals at the bottom of the seat ubes state? TIA.

BTW, I still think that backwards C is an incompletely stamped zero.
Old 09-21-09, 09:06 AM
n0vyy

Bikes: '83 Nishiki Century, '09 Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Nishiki Century

My bike is a Nishiki Century serial number G0283 3052980, which I read as a Giant manufactured frame from February of 1983. That seems about right as I bought it new in 83 or 84.

It has Suntour shifters and deraillers, Dia-Compe brakes and an Avocet saddle.

'83 Nishiki Century
Old 09-23-09, 09:34 AM
spyder550

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki Professional

I have been trying for some time to learn more about the early 70s Professional that I acquired a couple years ago. It seems the professional models are quite rare. My bike's serial number does not fit with the normal numbers in this database. It is KK20201. Any idea about the second K??? Yesterday, I learned that the fork was actually produced by a bike company called KATAKUTA SILK that produced Keirin NJS Track Frames up until the 80s when it went out of business. I have always felt my bike was more of a track bike outfitted for touring/road riding and I now wonder if Katakuta may have produced it for Nishiki. I have heard it rumored that Professionals were often built for Nishiki by other builders (some possibly Colnago) for the team riders. Could this frame have a similar story, and could the second "K" in the serial stand not for a year but instead Katakuta? The frame has similar seatstay caps to Katakutas I have seen but the lugs are much beefier. The frame is fully chromed, with a green primer and then silver paint topping it off. There is a blue panel on the ST and the HT is blue as well. Lugs are huge and pointed and, along with biplane Silk fork crown and Suntour dropouts, chromed. The frame was unbuilt and new when acquired by a friend of mine in the early 70s so no parts are original. My friend rode it for twenty plus years as a touring bike and it was used on the innagural Ride the Rockies ride here in Colorado (1986). I now ride the bike as my fixed commuter and it is the best handling frame I have ever had. If you have any info about this bike, insights, whatever, please let me know.
Old 09-23-09, 10:53 AM
BobHufford
Keeper of the SLDB

Bikes: '75 Schwinn Paramount P-10, '86 Ritchey Commando, '87 Schwinn Cimarron, '91 Trek 990, '87 Schwinn High Sierra, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '4? Schwinn New World, '76 Swing Bike.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spyder550
It seems the professional models are quite rare. My bike's serial number does not fit with the normal numbers in this database. It is KK20201. Any idea about the second K???
My circa '72 Pro has serial # KH20106, which didn't seem to fit the scheme either.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=197635

Thanks for the info on the Katakura Silk fork!

Unfortunately, mine is still hanging in the shed (but my wife's ~'79 Nishiki Pro has at least moved up to the garage for rebuild).

Please post pics of yours when you get a chance.

Bob

Last edited by BobHufford; 09-23-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 02:46 PM
GuyBert
The first Ninja Turtle.

Bikes: Nishiki Rally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
19**? Rally

I don't know much about road bikes but I've got a Nishiki Rally with the serial#: CD15104 stamped under the frame. I think it's an 84 according to the serial number. Its equipped with Suntour derailleurs, Shugino No. 6 cranks, and Dia Compe brakes from what I can see. Check out the photo I took the night I picked it up.

I'd like to convert it to a SS in the near future and try to take off some weight (from me and the bike)!
Old 09-28-09, 07:56 PM
azzoun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up this Nishiki and I'm trying to learn more about it.. my Serial Number doesn't match your schema... SC81203462 - here's some pics.. Any info would be appreciated. From what I can see it has:

Suntour Derailers
"Champion" Handlebars
and some crappy tires..lol.

Hopefully you can shed some light..
Old 09-29-09, 08:07 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by azzoun
Picked up this Nishiki and I'm trying to learn more about it.. my Serial Number doesn't match your schema... SC81203462 - here's some pics..
The decals place it 1989 or 1990. It's tempting to day 1989 based on the serial number, but this conflicts with the Alpha 2000 derailleur, which was introduced in 1990. However, the front derailleur and shifters don't appear to match the rear derailleur, so I"ll stick with 1989.

Regardless, all the indicators (i.e stem shifters, 27" wheels, nutted axles, aluminum crankarms swaged to steel chainrings) indicate an entry level model, almost certainly with a hi-tnsile steel frame. Model name may be under the electrical tape on the stays, but it appears to be a Sport or Rally.

It also appears to have been in a crash. The forks look like they have been pushed back and are no longer in line with the head tube. It looks looks like there may also be a bend in the top and down tubes, just behind the lugs.
Old 09-29-09, 09:13 AM
azzoun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar, thanks for looking.... So would $200 be too much to pay for this bike?
Old 09-29-09, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

T-Mar, thanks for looking.... So would $200 be too much to pay for this bike?
It's really hard to say because prices vary so much depending on local market conditions. In my area, that bicycle might go for $75 in good condition. However, if my suspicions about the fork and frame are true, I wouldn't even pay $25 for it, as it's only good for parts.
Old 09-29-09, 06:33 PM
ricksey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. I just bought a Nishiki frame for $5. Pretty beat up, (paint that is, can barely read "Nishiki", can't read the model). But the serial number is S011F216. Has the head badge, says Japan on the bottom of the seat tube. Suntour stamped on one of the drops. Any ideas on the year at least?

After doing some research on the net, I think my frame might be an Olympic 12. This is after staring at what is left of the model name on the paint. But my serial number still doesn't match anything in your database. Did Nishiki make a bike called the "Olympic 12" in the early '70's? Or is it possible this beat up machine is from the 80's? I'm trying to determine what model it is so I can decide how much effort to put into fixing it up. Seems like a really nice lugged frame, but it's in rough shape.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ricksey; 09-30-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: updating info
Old 09-30-09, 02:57 AM
joe2go75

Bikes: Vintage Nishiki Royale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki Upgrades?

T-Mar, I'm new to the site but it appears that you're the person to talk to about Nishiki's. I picked up a Nishiki Royale (ser. KA 01839) on CL last year. Looks like I made a decent purchase according to your serial code reference....bike is in great shape. I've been looking for replacement parts....couldn't find any....so wound up taking it to my LBS to have work done on the existing components.

The set up rides really nice, I added pedals and new saddle but am thinking about investing a few more bucks into some upgrades, newer BB, crankset, shifters/derailleurs. The tech at my LBS suggested I just get a new bike rather than spending money on a dinosaur, but I can't see spending a couple grand if it's easy enough to modify this one - plus I like it a lot. I'll post a pic later.

I'd like to add a triple crankset for better gearing on the hills.....but don't know if this frame would accomodate it. Forums on Velospace mostly talk about turning these older Nishiki's into fixies...so no help there. Any direction/advice for parts would be awesome.

One other question - If I ever wanted to resell it, would it better to leave the original (suntour) components (or at least hang on to them)? I don't know what the vintage resale market is like, but I'm guessing that mostly original would bring more $$ as with any vintage item.

Your posts have been extremely helpful....Thank you.
Old 10-02-09, 09:06 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by ricksey
OK. I just bought a Nishiki frame for $5. Pretty beat up, (paint that is, can barely read "Nishiki", can't read the model). But the serial number is S011F216. Has the head badge, says Japan on the bottom of the seat tube. Suntour stamped on one of the drops. Any ideas on the year at least?

After doing some research on the net, I think my frame might be an Olympic 12. This is after staring at what is left of the model name on the paint. But my serial number still doesn't match anything in your database. Did Nishiki make a bike called the "Olympic 12" in the early '70's? Or is it possible this beat up machine is from the 80's? I'm trying to determine what model it is so I can decide how much effort to put into fixing it up. Seems like a really nice lugged frame, but it's in rough shape.

Thanks for the help.
That's the first Nishiki serial number I've seen with that format, so I don't have a clue on the year. Kawamura may have had to subcontract some frames due to a insufficent capaicity beacuse of materials shortage, machinery breakdown, labour strike or any number of issues.

Assuming it is an Olympic 12, that model first appeared in 1978 and was still in manufacture as late as 1987. Obviously, it went though quite a few changes over that period. Having some pics or at least a list of the brand and models of the major components would help. Also colour scheme, list of frame fittings and any tubing decal info would help, if you can't provide pics.

Originally Posted by joe2go75
T-Mar, I'm new to the site but it appears that you're the person to talk to about Nishiki's. I picked up a Nishiki Royale (ser. KA 01839) on CL last year. Looks like I made a decent purchase according to your serial code reference....bike is in great shape. I've been looking for replacement parts....couldn't find any....so wound up taking it to my LBS to have work done on the existing components.

The set up rides really nice, I added pedals and new saddle but am thinking about investing a few more bucks into some upgrades, newer BB, crankset, shifters/derailleurs. The tech at my LBS suggested I just get a new bike rather than spending money on a dinosaur, but I can't see spending a couple grand if it's easy enough to modify this one - plus I like it a lot. I'll post a pic later.

I'd like to add a triple crankset for better gearing on the hills.....but don't know if this frame would accomodate it. Forums on Velospace mostly talk about turning these older Nishiki's into fixies...so no help there. Any direction/advice for parts would be awesome.

One other question - If I ever wanted to resell it, would it better to leave the original (suntour) components (or at least hang on to them)? I don't know what the vintage resale market is like, but I'm guessing that mostly original would bring more $$ as with any vintage item.

Your posts have been extremely helpful....Thank you.
Triple conversions are possible, but can cause problems. In addition to the crankset, you will almost certainly need a longer bottom bracket spindle, so that the small chainring clears the chainstay. This will move the crankset further out, which causes other problems. The existing front derailleur may not have the necessary travel to accommodate all 3 chainrings. The chainline moves further outboard, restricting usuable cogs with the large chainring.

Even if the front derailleur has sufficient travel, the back of the cage may not be low enough to clear the chain when using the small chainring with some of the smaller freewheel cogs.

A smaller front chainring also means the the rear derailleur needs the capacity to wrap more chain. Depending of the capacity of your current derailleur, it may or may not be sifficient.

In the case of front and rear derailleur capacity, you can get by with derailleurs of lower capacity, if you are careful about the gear combinations you use. However, it is often easy to loose track of which gear you are using and inadverently shift into a combination which will cause problems, possibly destroying a derailleur.

Personally, my philosophy is to modify a bicycle to whatever configuration best suits you, as a cyclist. That ensures the bicycle will get ridden more often. However, I also believe that you should never do anything that is irreversible, such as cutting off frame fittings like some people do with ss/fixies. I would suggest you keep the original components so that the bicycle can be returned to orginal spec, in the event you decide to sell. In my experience, most bicycles fetch higher prices in orignal condidtion.
Old 10-05-09, 05:03 PM
revelstone

Bikes: centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up this Nishiki and I'm trying to learn more about it.. my Serial Number doesn't match your schema... SC81203462 - here's some pics.. Any info would be appreciated. From what I can see it has:

Suntour Derailers
"Champion" Handlebars
and some crappy tires..lol.

Hopefully you can shed some light..
check out the forks on my nishiki sport 1991. look familiar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
07.jpg (62.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 10-10-09, 01:06 PM
5cagm

Bikes: 1984 Nishiki Landau, 1991 Merlin Titanium, 199? Lotto MBK Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you enjoy this one T-Mar (unfortunately using cellphone camera)

Any idea on the year etc.?
Old 10-10-09, 06:38 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Custom Sport...I'll post pics tommorow...that I just bought from my father-in-law...it has a sticker indicating it is made of high-tensile steel, it has shimano 600 derailluers, dia-compe brake sets. Serial number: KT 18832...also a deep "W" is present below the serial number. Any clue of the year?

Also it has a sticker indicating it was made in Japan...
Old 10-11-09, 07:17 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 5cagm
Hope you enjoy this one T-Mar (unfortunately using cellphone camera)
Any idea on the year etc.?
1984, Canadian market, Nishiki Landau.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the derailleurs are upgraded replacements, circa 1987/1988.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-11-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 04:38 PM
Joe Shmeaux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'73 Nishiki International

T-mar,

I was just surfing around on the web and came across your Nishiki database. I have a Nishiki International, s/n KS283796 that I have owned since about '81 or '82. My brother was the original owner, he got it brand new in either '73 or '74 (it could be either, but I'm leaning toward '73). I bought the bike from him with grass-cutting money when I was about 15, matter of fact, it's been my only bike since then! It was pristine when I got it, I just cleaned and lubed everything and polished all the aluminum components and it was absolutely mint. I don't think that my brother ever really rode it very much; I rode it extensively through college years and until I got into my thirties, then tapered off. I've got a co-worker who is a cycling enthusiast - he's been trying to get me back out on it, we'll see when the weather improves here (GA).

It looks essentially just like the '73 "Competition" way back on page one of this thread (some of the components may differ), and it looks neary that nice when it's all polished up. Everything is original except the seat and chain, added a Blackburn rack back in the '80's, also a Cannondale seat pack and a featherweight pump. I removed the chintzi chain gaurds long ago... I GOTTA replace the crappy three spoke stamped aluminum crank, though! Been meaning to do that since I was 15...

I'll try to get a picture of it posted soon. It's a little dusty and lacks "lustre", but it's always been kept in the house when not in use, so it's still in great shape.

Eric Buckley

Last edited by Joe Shmeaux; 10-11-09 at 04:46 PM. Reason: got lost
Old 10-12-09, 11:42 AM
BigNishiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I'm not a bicycle expert -just a new guy interested in information about my Nishiki bike that I purchased at a yard sale a few years ago for $40.00. It looked like a nice bike, but it has proven to be not the best "city bike" for me. Anyway, I thought I'd chime into this thread.

My bike is #WG07308
Sugino crank
Shimano shifters and derail.
Shimano brakes

Photos:

Last edited by BigNishiki; 10-12-09 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.