Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bar End Shifters vs Stem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bar End Shifters vs Stem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 04:29 PM
bluenote157

Bikes: Surly CC, Raleigh Team Pro, Specialized Rockhopper with an xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have some shimano(not sure if ultegra 8 speed barends w/o the pods). They would work great if you bought some pods from rivbike.com, paul thumbies, or mounted them on the downtubes. pm if interested.
Old 10-10-09, 05:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I have no use for indexing. All of my road bikes (3 downtube, 1 barcon) are friction shift, and I keep my mountain bike (thumb) in friction mode. I actually tried stem shifters on one of my bikes in 1969, when the Schwinn TwinStiks were still new. I gave the bike to my girlfriend a couple of years later, and she liked the TwinStiks with Peugeot upright bars. I have not had stem shifters since, and have no desire for them. I also experimented with clamping downtube shift levers onto the lower portion of the drop handlebars, either both levers on one side or one on each, but I was not always able to hit all 5 cogs reliably. It was a fun experiment, though.

I like the crispness of downtube shifters, but I have to admit that in a heavy crosswind I appreciate being able to shift my barcons without removing a hand from the bars.

My analogy is that downtube shifters are like a floor-mounted shift in a car, stems are like an old-fashioned column shift, and brifters are like wheel-mounted DSG or TipTronic paddles.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-10-09, 06:46 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Being a tall guy, I sometimes find it a long reach to DT shifters on a 700 bike. Seems better on a 27" bike.
Old 10-11-09, 09:54 PM
Weasel9
Dumpster cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KtotheF
I was looking for 7 speed barend shifters for a while, couldn't find any, then someone told me that 7 and 8 speed shifters pull the same amount of cable, so 8 speed barend shifters will index no problem, and they're quite easy to find on ebay.

Somebody mentioned ultegra 8spd barends + cables and housing for under $60? Where are those?
Excellent. I've definitely seen the 8-speeders around.

I may take you up on that, bikingshearer. PM on it's way.
Old 10-11-09, 09:57 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
...Does anyone have an extra set of bar ends they would pass on to me?
None from me or Miamijim, thanks.
Old 10-11-09, 10:14 PM
ConstantinosYEA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snappy
an 8 speed shifter should work, and they are readily available.
I am not sure that is true even though i have not tried it. According to the Sheldon Brown cribsheets (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing) on cassette spacing, there is a bit of a difference between 7 speed and 8 speed cassettes. The difference is negligible so it may work. I am not sure but i am just throwing this out there.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Also, what would happen with the 1 extra click on the shifter? The limit screw on the derailleur will keep the chain from falling off the cassette so i assume the last click will just be a sort of dummy click.