Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 01:24 PM
acroy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
45f and overcast, wind from the SE, nice ride, little traffic. averaged about 17mph, not bad for a sleepy SUnday ride.
Old 02-11-07, 04:15 PM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not exactly a commute but heres yesterdays ride

enjoy

https://craig*****.info/thumbnails.php?album=12
Old 02-11-07, 10:29 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday, my favorite commute day of the week. Rain in the morning was light, and it was dry in the evening going home. I've been commuting over a year and my coworkers still ask "you rode your bike?". Now I just ask "Did you drive your 9 passenger suv with just one person in it?"

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 02-11-07, 11:00 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by craigdurkee
not exactly a commute but heres yesterdays ride

enjoy

https://craig*****.info/thumbnails.php?album=12

I couldn't look- too painful to look at pictures of beaches with summer sun and warmth!

lucky you. I'll send you some pix like that next July and see how you like it.
Old 02-12-07, 06:46 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotta first time ever back to back honks this morning. It was about 6:45 am. Both drivers immediately turned into a school bus motor pool parking lot with lots of buses pulling out. I think they were late for work. I just happened to be the last thing they slowed for and I got all the rage. I can just hear them now.

"Sorry I'm late, I got stuck behind some jerk on a bicycle."

Boss - "You couldn't pass?"

"Well yea but ..."

"So it took you 15 minutes to pass this bicycle? Must have been one hellavu a bike"

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 02-12-07, 07:30 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
...but it's the lack of snow that's made it doable- I'm sure I've jinxed it now.
Sssshhhhh!
Originally Posted by National Weather Service
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING FOR ALL OF CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT...AND NORTHERN NEW YORK.

Nice commute this morning for me. Light tailwind. Temperatures in the low 20s F.

Some time not long ago I passed 1,000 miles on the Trek. This morning the odometer said 1,050. That's mostly commuting miles, since I bought the bike in September. ~50 gallons of gas.
Old 02-12-07, 07:47 AM
Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snow has fallen everyday for the last week. yesterday it snowed all day. the roads in the suburbs are unridable, so I sidewalked surfed 80% of the way to work. i'm not proud of it, but i did feel like a soldier when i got to work before the doors opened and there was a cager sitting in his running car keeping warm like a little sissy. I stripped down outside can i was overheating. riding the sidewalk taught me one thing, there are a lot of people who don't shovel their walks.

a chinook is on the horizon.
Old 02-12-07, 08:09 AM
GTcommuter
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No riding today, did some mega miles yesterday so I decided to stretch my legs with a walk in. I know I was walking because I saw MapTester, who probably thinks I don't own a bike anymore.
Old 02-12-07, 08:42 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got rid of the combination brake & fender rub on the front wheel this weekend. What a difference it made! So much less effort was expended and as a result, I was sweating less and pretty comfortable the whole ride in even though it warmed up to 32F this morning.

Passed by the remains of what looked like a weekend accident. Wood splinters were scattered around a manhole that had a 4" deep square dug around it. It was also blocked off from traffic by a sawhorse. Looks like a car bust through the previous sawhorse that was blocking it off, hence the splinters. As I rode through the splinter field, I heard a loud POP! and thought it was the car next to me, then thought it might've been my tires. Turned out to be just some random unexplained POP! so I continued on to work.

edit: The POP! was not a gunshot.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-12-07, 09:13 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, -19C today, and I'm finally over my cold. My wife wimped out and took the bus, but I made good time by leaving 5 minutes early and taking the lane. As Wulfheir mentioned, the cold should be done by Wednesday, and then we're in for a big fat Chinook. It will be -17C riding in, but -1C riding home. At that point, we'll be riding in slop for a week until it all melts away and I can go back to skinny tires.
Old 02-12-07, 09:19 AM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I passed 8 people going the opposite way from me into DC this morning, this is way more than usual for the winter, and on a par with the highest days in summer- I guess the NoVA folks have gotten used the the cold, or maybe wanted to get in a Monday commute before this next storm hits. Actually felt pretty warm this morning, esp compared to Saturday, when I rode up the C&O Canal Path but could only manage an hour b/c my feet were starting to freeze solid.
Old 02-12-07, 09:41 AM
UnderDaHill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a pretty good commute today until the chain on my Lucas Valley snapped. Silly me forgot to put the chain tool in my pack after switching to my larger camalbak for the winter. Ooops. Luckily I had already compledt 10 miles of my 13 commute and I was able to get a ride the rest of the way from a buddy at work.

Howerver, the trail I ride on was glare ice. So I spent 6+ miles loving my W106 studded tires. Just amazing what you can ride on with those, if your careful.
Old 02-12-07, 09:45 AM
Relaxer
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32 degrees in our nation's capitol this morning, and like knucklesandwich, I saw quite a few commuters out this morning. It wasn't warm out by any stretch, but after last week's cold run, it seemed very nice out this morning.
Am still adjusting to doing my commute on a fixed gear. Love it, but I'm definitely more out of breath by the time I arrive at the gym. Good times.
Old 02-12-07, 10:13 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
First week of my new 1 day on 1 day off commute. Trying to see if having recovery days on Tue and Thurs helps. Those days I will weight train at the gym. I am also wondering if I will be able to hammer it in Mon, Wed, and Fri. Quality over quantity.
That and today is the warmest day this week. Wed should be in the single digits to low 20s. Brrrr.....
Old 02-12-07, 11:37 AM
CVB

Bikes: n+1-1+1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1-1+1+1-1...

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful riding weather here today, with a high close to 60 predicted. Tomorrow it's supposed to get crappy for a couple days though - 30s and rain (yeah, I know, that's nice weather if you live north of the Mason-Dixon). Oh well, fenders and the rainsuit to the rescue.

After months off, this was my second ride in 3 work days! Scared up a great blue heron in the same place both days. Trying to become a regular at this, and it looks like various car troubles are going to help me get my way. So, Mr. Heron, looks like we'll be seeing a lot more of each other now.
Old 02-12-07, 11:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Great! My fastest ride in in months, today.

Friday, coming in, was the first time in months there was so much car traffic I couldn't shift left from the bike lane across 2 car lanes to the turn lane (to cross 2 more car lanes to go into the parking lot at work), so I had to go past work, take a x-walk at a light, and bike back down again. I think it was just a timing thing, I'm usually a little bit ahead of or behind peak car flow.
Old 02-12-07, 12:20 PM
KeystoneKid
Commuter

Bikes: 05 Marin Kentfield, 00 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12 miles of frozen MUP

Commute in this morning was fun. Temp was 32F and light misting freezing rain this morning. Spent lots of time over the last 3 weeks riding in snow, but today was the first time on ice with water on top. I am amazed at how well studded tires work. One sideways slip going up the hill under an overpass, but the studs kicked in and stopped the slide. Other than that, just a few minor slips on sections with curves or up hills, but overall felt pretty secure although I did keep the speed down to where I felt comfortable. They're calling for more snow tonight, but that shouldn't be a problem as it should just start falling about the time I leave to go home.
Old 02-12-07, 12:56 PM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
45F and raining. normal 6 mile commute extended to 13 miles, went to the doctor for a checkup (lasik) on the way. Wet but fun ride!
this has been the wettest, coldest winter in recent Dallas history.
Old 02-12-07, 01:20 PM
bikedaddy

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the snow is melting. I didn't have to dismount my bike where the MUP crosses some major streets. For the past two months I have been trudging through some piles of snow and ice but now it is gone. Excellent! Spring is near
Old 02-12-07, 01:36 PM
BLACKMARKET

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20F out, sunny, a lil windy out and cold. getting ready to ride to work. i think i might take my brother MTB instead of my single speed..
Old 02-12-07, 01:53 PM
luckysnafu

Bikes: Felt F85 (2007), Fuji Regis (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got right hooked on my way home Friday night. I was riding through downtown, which is always backed up during rush hour, and passing stopped/waiting cars on the right. Cars were backed up to the light and across the intersection for a green light. I always proceed up the right side passing cars since I don't feel like waiting in line. So I am approaching the green light and the stopped cars had left a small space for opposing traffic to turn left. A car and then a police car turned left and then I proceeded to enter the intersection to go straight across and just as I entered the intersection a woman in a mid size SUV decided she was sick of waiting to go straight and turns to the right and I go right into the front corner of her car. I sort of just glided along the side of her car and then came to a stop, not falling over or anything. I was not hurt and my bike was fine other than a small scratch on the brake handle. My rear light was also knocked off but only the clip broke and not the light. The woman stopped and got out to make sure I was alright and a few other people in cars asked if I was alright as well. I didn't see her turn signal though she said she put it on at the last moment. She said she was sorry and asked if I was ok and then went on her way. I checked over myself and bike when I got home and everything is in good order. I thought my front wheel might be out of true but it is not. First time I have been hit by a car since I started riding two years ago.

Back on the bike this morning though My gf took the news surprisingly well since I know she is always worried about me getting hit.
Old 02-12-07, 03:03 PM
nate c

Bikes: Soma Smoothie ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute for me in 9 months - 40 degrees, light rain, dark, uphill 12 mi one way. At least the ride home will be quicker

Good to be back in the saddle.

N8
Portland, OR.
Old 02-12-07, 03:06 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Late post.
My commute was warm - 31F. And I put way too much on.
Old 02-12-07, 04:47 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Today I left the house later than usual - 6:50 a.m. rather than the normal 6:30 a.m. - because of not feeling too well (at some point I thought I'd stay at home, but felt much better pretty quickly). Surprisingly, though, there was less traffic on the roads than normally! (Even less, I should say, given how little of it I encounter that time of day). I wonder if there is a little spike around 6:30-6:40 a.m. in traffic volumes due to folks who start work at 7.

The ride was very pleasant. I was fast, I was smooth, I was turning those pedals. Had fun with the lights. The city is gradually phasing out the old pedestrian light signals which have a flashing hand warning peds that the light is going to turn red soon. Instead they now have a countdown, so as you're approaching the intersection on bike, you know exactly how many seconds you have left to try to beat the light. Makes for some very short but very exciting sprints.
Old 02-12-07, 04:55 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My blinkie fell off when I hopped off the curb. I hope this isn't gonna happen again. Other than that, the ride home was the usual.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.