Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit-and-run driver gets his come-uppance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hit-and-run driver gets his come-uppance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 07:24 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Precisely my view on it. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong if you end up dead. You still have to look out for yourself.
Word.

Second the Word.

Motion carries.
Old 04-06-12, 07:29 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not someplace I'd ride for sure.
Old 04-06-12, 07:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Where's the comeuppance? Did I miss the part where he was pistol whipped?
Old 04-06-12, 08:03 AM
mocolotion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad they caught the kid for sure, but I also have to agree with some of the previous posters that the guy was riding his bike like a complete idiot in this instance. Who decides they're going to hug the dashed line separating lanes? He should have been a good eight feet to his right and hugging the divider between the right lane and the foot path.
Old 04-06-12, 08:09 AM
Snapperhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Precisely my view on it. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong if you end up dead. You still have to look out for yourself.
If that's the case, then you should NEVER ride on the road unless you are 100% certain that there will be 0 traffic.
Old 04-06-12, 08:16 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Snapperhead
If that's the case, then you should NEVER ride on the road unless you are 100% certain that there will be 0 traffic.
No, but you should NOT ride on roads like that during times when you cause a big backlog of traffic behind you, and with large vehicles no less, when you're so far under the speed limit that even the car behind the trailing car may very nearly hit you after the one right behind you passes.

Nobody's saying to avoid ALL traffic, but it's pretty stupid to be out on roads like that with traffic like that, period.

At the minimum, if you are dead set on crossing that bridge with that kind of traffic (which I acknowledge may happen once in awhile, for example, if you get lost and it's the only way back, or you end up taking longer than you thought and end up getting caught in rush hour), you should exercise the judgment to either wait until the traffic is clear before booking it across to make as big a gap between you and the next car as possible, or suck up your pride and walk/roll the bike slowly on the separate MUP.
Old 04-06-12, 08:24 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Normally, I don't mind slowing traffic when there is a second lane for cars to go around, but in this case, traffic is moving way to fast for my comfort. Cars don't have time to react and hump of the bridge could further limit the time they have to see you. I understand though, that sometimes you find yourself in places you didn't intend to be, and that in no way justifies a hit and run. I wonder what happened to the driver?
Old 04-06-12, 08:29 AM
blcknspo0ln

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize this just happened yesterday. I don't care if he's 17 or not, I'm glad he was caught and surely punished.
Old 04-06-12, 08:32 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, for all the folks who think the driver is so evil:

Where did you want to driver to stop on that road after the clip? No shoulder, and high odds of the driver getting himself , the cyclist, and other drivers injured by parking a car in the only open lane of a 35mph roadway, especially if he jumps out of his car and starts mucking around in the road after the clip.

I don't know what he should have done, but it's not unreasonable to think that in the panic of the post-hit situation, that the driver may have made a snap judgment to drive to the end of the bridge to pull over the vehicle and walk back. Even after the bus stopped him, I'm not sure it would be a clear decision to get out of the car on that roadway - doing that instantly changes the situation from a one-potential death hazard (cyclist) to a multiple death hazard (cyclist, driver, and other people trying to help in the middle of a 35mph roadway where approaching traffic is not yet stopped by a cop.)

Also, was the driver speeding? Swerving? No. He might have been texting, sure, but we have no evidence of that. Was he driving terribly? I'd also say no - he just happened to be a hair too close on a tight pass, with a cyclist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many times do we drivers have to deal with that situation with no shoulder, cyclist in the MIDDLE (not right) of the lane, and several cars backed up? I'd bet you put 1000 drivers on that road in that situation, and a shockingly high percentage of these perfectly good drivers would clip that cyclist just the same.

Last edited by hhnngg1; 04-06-12 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 08:38 AM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a town where cycling is becoming more and more popular as gas prices go up and people become more health conscious, unfortunately this leads to idiots riding on the opposite side into traffic or in the middle of the road...when I see it I want to pull over and yell at them for making people want to run us off the road when we are riding the correct way. It's not often that I get out on to busy roads but when i do we keep our paceline tight and to the right.
Old 04-06-12, 08:43 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'd have to agree that my reaction watching this video is the cyclist made some pretty big mistakes here. It's clearly a busy time of day given the shining sun and traffic volumes, he's going very slowly over the bridge and taking the entire lane. Not only that, this bridge has no shoulder and giant jersey barriers, it's a basic cycling nightmare. The wide, two-lane running path seems to be the obvious solution if he absolutely needed to ride over this bridge. It's not even that long a bridge, I would consider walking my bike over it if riding isn't allowed on the path. I know motorists should share the road and I know that most states give cyclists the right to take en entire lane, but there's the law and then there's common sense. This guy was showing very little of the latter. I actually got a little irritated just watching him lolly-gag over that bridge riding down the middle of the road.

On the other hand, if you hit someone and run, all bets are off no matter what happened. The driver should be in pretty big trouble.
Old 04-06-12, 08:49 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from Road to A&S.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 04-06-12, 08:51 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just so you all know, that lane is a designated share the road bike lane and a 35mph speed limit. yes, i anticipate the onslaught of the "doesn't matter what the law is if you get hit" comments, but there is something to be said that the rider was riding in a spot that local government has designated for cycling use. granted, i ride a bit faster than the guy in the video (no backdoor bragging intended), but i would ride the bridge with as much traffic as is in the video, albeit more to the right.
Old 04-06-12, 08:54 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1

Where did you want to driver to stop on that road after the clip? No shoulder, and high odds of the driver getting himself , the cyclist, and other drivers injured by parking a car in the only open lane of a 35mph roadway, especially if he jumps out of his car and starts mucking around in the road after the clip.

I don't know what he should have done, but it's not unreasonable to think that in the panic of the post-hit situation, that the driver may have made a snap judgment to drive to the end of the bridge to pull over the vehicle and walk back. Even after the bus stopped him, I'm not sure it would be a clear decision to get out of the car on that roadway - doing that instantly changes the situation from a one-potential death hazard (cyclist) to a multiple death hazard (cyclist, driver, and other people trying to help in the middle of a 35mph roadway where approaching traffic is not yet stopped by a cop.)

Also, was the driver speeding? Swerving? No. He might have been texting, sure, but we have no evidence of that. Was he driving terribly? I'd also say no - he just happened to be a hair too close on a tight pass, with a cyclist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many times do we drivers have to deal with that situation with no shoulder, cyclist in the MIDDLE (not right) of the lane, and several cars backed up? I'd bet you put 1000 drivers on that road in that situation, and a shockingly high percentage of these perfectly good drivers would clip that cyclist just the same.
fail.
Old 04-06-12, 08:57 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is totally ridiculous. The guy was clearly trying to run. And, by moving from behind the cyclist, he puts the cyclist at risk (again) for getting hit.
Old 04-06-12, 09:04 AM
lineinthewater

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BTW, am I seeing that video correctly - that there was a cop right there on the scene (the cyclist signalling to him just after being hit)?? Talk about all the cards falling into place to nail a hit-and-run motorist - if only life were really like that.
Old 04-06-12, 09:08 AM
Nitram612

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am hardly a vehicular cyclist, I only take the full lane in situations when there is no room to safely pass within the lane, but I am surprised by all of the bad driver apologists in this thread. Maybe he could have been a little closer to the center of the lane, but all the other drivers managed to pass him just fine. Then I realized this was moved from the roadie forum
Old 04-06-12, 09:16 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
On one section of my commute, I ride the same as the cyclist in the OP video, on a 3 lane one way. Every time I try to ride further right than the center of the lane, motorists generally repay me back with very close passes, it seems that the average motorist knows where the front of their vehicle is better than their vehicle's right side.
Old 04-06-12, 09:16 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitram612
I am hardly a vehicular cyclist, I only take the full lane in situations when there is no room to safely pass within the lane, but I am surprised by all of the bad driver apologists in this thread. Maybe he could have been a little closer to the center of the lane, but all the other drivers managed to pass him just fine. Then I realized this was moved from the roadie forum

HAHA... That's Funny! btw it's call the 41! Get it straight!
Old 04-06-12, 09:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That is a bad bridge to be riding across. I know many riders advocate "taking the lane" like that guy but I consider it rude slowing traffic like he did.
And the alternative is???
Old 04-06-12, 09:26 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

How about turning on the emergency flashers and staying there to offer protection for the downed cyclist. By leaving there is no protection for the cyclist who is now down in the road.
Old 04-06-12, 09:37 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11974 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
It doesn't matter who is right or wrong if you end up dead. You still have to look out for yourself.
Exactly.

Bottom line is you're no match for a 2 ton vehicle. Period. It doesn't matter if you're in the right, because you could be "Dead Right", and a lot of good that's going to do you in the casket.

You have to ride intelligently if you want to last very long riding in traffic, doesn't matter what the law says. Use your head or you'll be dead!
Old 04-06-12, 09:49 AM
Average Killer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was he driving terribly???? I'd have to say he was. Watch the video again. At the 22 second frame you see the bus, then the silver car, then the black car (the one that eventually hits the guys) all in the right lane. At the end of that clip you notice that the black car jumps into the left lane to pass the silver car. The next clip is the accident scene with the bus in the left lane, the black car rear ending the cyclist, and then the silver car. I may not be a rocket scientist, but even I can figure this one out. The 17 year-old wanted to pass both the silver car and the bus but the bus moved over and he cut back over into the right lane to pass the bus. I live in PA and the last time I checked the left lane was for passing not the right.
Old 04-06-12, 09:56 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That is a bad bridge to be riding across. I know many riders advocate "taking the lane" like that guy but I consider it rude slowing trafficlike he did.
Really? REALLY??

What is this traffic of which you speak? The traffic in the entire video was relatively light and the motorists weren't optimally utilizing both lanes.

I stopped the video at the point of impact. There is exactly ONE car behind the offender. And that car is following at a reasonable distance.

To be clear, I would not on my boldest day ever cycle on that roadway. But the fact remains that the cyclist in the video had every right to be there and was entitled to the entire lane. The driver that hit the cyclist was clearly at fault, and that fault was multiplied by fleeing from the accident.
Old 04-06-12, 09:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mocolotion
He should have been a good eight feet to his right and hugging the divider between the right lane and the foot path.
Do you actually ride in traffic? What you advocate encourages drivers to squeeze in a same-lane pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.