Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does color influence your decision?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does color influence your decision?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 08:07 PM
Wolfvegas

Bikes: CCM 21 speed big box special.....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a white bike, with red writing and a few pinstripes with black rims. I really enjoy the colour scheme
Old 04-10-12, 08:30 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Yes.

Bought this one over the red one.

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...lWheels010.jpg

Then they put the red one on sale, bought it for spare parts

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h.../RedBMC002.jpg

Both are beautiful bikes.

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h.../RedBMC023.jpg
I thought you knew something I didn't and had started a breeding program.
Old 04-10-12, 10:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Sometimes a color will grow on you. I bought my pink Bianchi in something of a hurry and wasn't completely sure how people would react at first. Once I got over that, it became a lot of fun to ride around.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-11-12, 02:04 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by shokhead
Pink? Most of us can be fine with white, red, black or a combo of those. It's the odd ones that could be a deal breaker. Wish more bikes would do something more like a project one for the choices.
Pink would be more interesting than a white, red, black combo.
Old 04-11-12, 02:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The first road bicycle I purchased was a small Cannondale ... I bought it because of its size and price. I had been riding bicycles that were too large, and I though it was the right size for me. Unfortunately I was wrong ... it was a bit too small, and so I sold it to a smaller friend. It was red.

The next road bicycle I purchased was a Giant OCR3 ... the 2000 version. I bought it because of its size and the price (exactly what I'd sold the Cannondale for). It was a good little bicycle ... the right size and quite comfortable. It was yellow because that's what colour the Giant OCR3s were then.

The next road bicycle I purchased was a Giant OCR3 ... the 2002 version. I traded in the 2000 version because the 2002 version had a triple chainring, and the 2000 version just had a double chainring. I wanted better gearing for cycling in hillier conditions, and I liked the price of the 2002 version. Plus I was able to do the trade-in. That bicycle happened to be yellow, because that's what colour the Giant OCR3s were then.

My next road bicycle was a custom Marinoni Ciclo, so I could choose the colour I wanted. I chose two-tone blue. But being able to choose the colour wasn't why I decided to go with the Marinoni Ciclo ... frame material and size were much higher on my list.

My next road bicycle was a titanium Hasa ... because I've always wanted a titanium bicycle. I decided to leave it bare titanium, but Rowan painted my fork British Racing Green because I wanted green highlights.

My newest road bicycle is a Thorn Club Tour ... I had the option of blue or green ... I went with blue because I already had a green bicycle (highlights).

So if there's a choice, I'll pick the colour that appeals to me ... but mostly I'm interested in the bicycle itself.
Old 04-11-12, 11:22 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've never run into a position of *not* buying a bike because of the color, but that's not to say it wouldn't matter. Color is a pretty personal matter. Personally, I don't like orange at all, and I'm not terribly fond of red or purple either. Most other colors, even 'DG-White" would be OK, though.
Old 04-11-12, 01:32 PM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a beautiful 97 I think ice blue trek, best color I've had and they had to replace the frame{crack at the bb** with a 98 forest green, but ugly. I said nope. They then replaced it with a 99 blue and white which was fine.
Old 04-11-12, 02:44 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I'm gonna give a little background first.

I ride MTB exclusively.
I build up my own, buying frames/forks/wheels/parts and 'creating' a one-of-a-kind.

My first criteria is frame design, which includes strength and travel. If I have a CHOICE, then color can enter into it.

For example, when I bought my Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0, it was the only model available. Had they still had the 2.0 available as well, I would have made my choice based on frame color and supplied shock. But, that wasn't the case, and since I wanted the XLT, I grabbed it. RODE LIKE A DREAM FOR OVER FIVE YEARS!

Color matters, but it's not a dealbreaker (unless it's pink, HATE pink!).
Old 04-11-12, 03:37 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan
I went to Performance Bike the other day to pick up some socks and saw a great deal on a Fuji Road bike. I forgot which model it was, but it had an Ultegra groupset, carbon fiber frame & fork and was going for $1599. I'm not sure how good Fuji's are (I've only owned Trek & Specialized), but I thought it was a steal!!! The only bad thing was that it was an ugly red color that I didn't care for at all (not a big fan of red). Anyway, I'm not in the market for a bike or anything, but I'm just a bit curious - Would the color have any influence on your decision to buy a new bike?
Yes. Any bike I buy needs to have no paint job to ruin which implies titanium or stainless steel metal and clear coated carbon fiber (not as good - where the titanium tends to get polished spots that remain the same color small scratches in the epoxy catch light and contrast; although it's much easier to buy a carbon fork than one in stainless steel or titanium). My current titanium frame looks better after 16 years than my previous steel frame did just 7.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-11-12 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 03:49 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
is titanium a color?

if so, then yes, color is extremely important to me
Old 04-11-12, 04:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
is titanium a color?
Well, it is a shade of grey that many things are painted , that are not made of Ti.
Old 04-11-12, 04:48 PM
Antaresia
Snakes on a bike

Bikes: 80's CCM Mixte ~ SS 70's Apollo ~ Soma Extra Smooth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm happy with my black frame since it can be accessorized with colour via cable housing, fenders, bar tape, bottle cages - possibilities are endless. My other bikes are used, so I can afford to picky over colour there. Why be in a hurry for a used bike? Why not take time to find the "right" paint job? Or at least one you don't hate, I agree that colour isn't really a deciding factor, but more of a deal-breaker if it's ugly.

If I win the lottery I'm getting a bike and getting it custom painted green, with yellow tiger stripes, and I'm putting a red saddle & bar tape on it.
https://blackhandproductions.com/wp-c...ttle-cat-b.jpg
Old 04-13-12, 09:18 PM
SW7783

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I'm in the market for a new bike color is a factor in my decision, but it's not much of a decision to make. I suppose the best time it can be a deciding factor is if the choice is between the same bike but different model years. In that case you get the bike you want in the color you like more.
Old 04-13-12, 11:03 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If I buy a bike I like blue, black or silver. I don't mind a plain white but my replacement frame was white, black and red. I hate red on a bike. I never would have bought this frame. I would have bought blue 3.1 but they gave me the 4.7

Blue

My bike, not crazy about the red

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Madone 3.1.JPG (51.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-13-12, 11:15 PM
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would never buy a white bike again, unfortunately after the non-stop cleaning, I'm convinced my black bike must be completely filthy with the unseen spots I can see so well on the white bike.
Old 04-14-12, 08:18 AM
TrekmanDan

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
If I buy a bike I like blue, black or silver. I don't mind a plain white but my replacement frame was white, black and red. I hate red on a bike. I never would have bought this frame. I would have bought blue 3.1 but they gave me the 4.7

Blue

My bike, not crazy about the red

Couldn't agree with you more. However, the red accents aren't too bad. The bike I saw at the store was a deep red with black accents... FUGLY! BTW - That blue 3.1 is sexy!!!
Old 04-14-12, 10:56 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan
Couldn't agree with you more. However, the red accents aren't too bad. The bike I saw at the store was a deep red with black accents... FUGLY! BTW - That blue 3.1 is sexy!!!
Yeah, the red ain't so bad and honestly, after so much riding through thelast 15 years years, I hardly notice the color of a bike anymore.

But the blue is nice!
Old 04-14-12, 08:03 PM
xjken99

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, it matters. Unlike some here I like yellow, I also like blue, white and red. Silver and orange are OK but not black, brown or green.
Old 04-15-12, 02:32 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I'm not sure it matters a whole lot. My bike is silver and I was a bit gutted at first that there were no better colour choices, but to be honest I tested the bike and loved it regardless of colour because most of the time you can't see it anyway.

Ideally get the colour you want, but to me it's bike feel first then colour second. You will regret buying a bike that is the wrong size or does not feel right under you than having a colour that you don't desire as much.

I have noticed that I absent mindedly buy aftermarket products for the bike that fit with the bikes colour scheme.

People may laugh at a guy for owning a pink bike, but then they will stop when you blow past them on the road or own them on a trail.