Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Achieving The Goal

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Achieving The Goal

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 05:47 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Achieving The Goal

One of the posters here, or on another board, posts with a signature proclaiming a desire to arrive at the end of life with a body all worn out from a life well lived. I share that goal. I want to wring every bit of use out of this body before it is My Time.

With that in mind, once I turned 80 and it looked like I was on the longer longevity track in my family I asked my docs to take a good look at this machine I inhabit. Had the last part of that this morning with an appointment with my neurologist. She summed up all the labs, the imaging, and her exams. Since I have had several traumas, been exposed to many kinds of nasty stuff, and had that major spine surgery that left me with some foot drop, I sort of expected there was some surgery, or powerful medicine in my future.

But, she said all indications are that my body is just wearing out. Nothing can be done except to continue my current life style. If some specific symptom raises its' head then I can get some specific treatment for that.

I asked the "How Long" question about healthy life. No one knows. But, based on my history and lack of any current medical issue looks like 5 years, or more.. Assuming no fatal accident, or disease catches me first. After that I may opt for medical support to extend existence. At this point I have no intention to do that.

So, looks like I'm achieving the goal of using up my body. Wonderful!
Old 08-07-17, 08:01 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Congratulations?
Old 08-07-17, 09:22 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
So when your feet wear out can you replace them with integrated pedals instead of prosthetic feet?
Old 08-08-17, 05:09 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
May you wear out in good health!!!!

My mother was in better health at age 80 then you mentioned for yourself. She followed your planned future course of action and is now 89. I visited her this past weekend and she asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" She has gone from self care to 24 hour assist in 3 months.

There's the saying....."Be careful what you wish for."
Old 08-08-17, 07:18 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Somewhere on this forum I saw this bit of wisdom: I want to live forever. So far, so good.
Old 08-08-17, 10:40 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
May you wear out in good health!!!!

My mother was in better health at age 80 then you mentioned for yourself. She followed your planned future course of action and is now 89. I visited her this past weekend and she asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" She has gone from self care to 24 hour assist in 3 months.

There's the saying....."Be careful what you wish for."
That is wonderful. Many people have some chronic disease, often self-imposed like Type 2 diabetes, that impairs life quality over many years. To be healthy until the machine, like all machines, just wears out is a blessing.

At that point, like an old car, a person can say "enough" and shed it. Or, they can up the maintenance and keep it going for awhile longer. Which, is the person's choice.
Old 08-08-17, 10:58 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A life well lived is not the same as living recklessly. Be grateful for for lasting good health and don't abuse good fortune.
Old 08-08-17, 11:43 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
One of the posters here, or on another board, posts with a signature proclaiming a desire to arrive at the end of life with a body all worn out from a life well lived. I share that goal. I want to wring every bit of use out of this body before it is My Time.

With that in mind, once I turned 80 and it looked like I was on the longer longevity track in my family I asked my docs to take a good look at this machine I inhabit. Had the last part of that this morning with an appointment with my neurologist. She summed up all the labs, the imaging, and her exams. Since I have had several traumas, been exposed to many kinds of nasty stuff, and had that major spine surgery that left me with some foot drop, I sort of expected there was some surgery, or powerful medicine in my future.

But, she said all indications are that my body is just wearing out. Nothing can be done except to continue my current life style. If some specific symptom raises its' head then I can get some specific treatment for that.

I asked the "How Long" question about healthy life. No one knows. But, based on my history and lack of any current medical issue looks like 5 years, or more.. Assuming no fatal accident, or disease catches me first. After that I may opt for medical support to extend existence. At this point I have no intention to do that.

Kudos to you. I hope I can last just a little longer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-08-17, 11:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My goal is to end this life prepared for the next.

How well I treated the least and lowest in the world when I came into contact with them and how I reacted to those who abused me will help determine that.

How epic the ride was won't really matter.

-Tim-
Old 08-08-17, 03:06 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

That is wonderful. Many people have some chronic disease, often self-imposed like Type 2 diabetes, that impairs life quality over many years. To be healthy until the machine, like all machines, just wears out is a blessing.

At that point, like an old car, a person can say "enough" and shed it. Or, they can up the maintenance and keep it going for awhile longer. Which, is the person's choice.
HawkOwl, I think you might have miss construed my reply.

My mom's wish was the same goal as yours and one could say she received her wish BUT along with that wish has come almost totally being bed ridden, being fed, being attended to for personal needs, discomfort so drugs must be administered to minimize pain which then causes functioning issues, hallucinations, incomprehensible ramblings, anger issues towards those who are there to assist her.

UNLIKE MY MOTHER,
my health at 67 is worse than hers was. Some life expectancy projections for my cancer are 7 years with some extension if I choose to spend $250,000/year for medications to begin at the appropriate time in the future. I will not do so and will not live as my mother currently is. I will continue to live my life to the fullest and do not believe in something following after my death.
Old 08-08-17, 03:12 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My goal is to end this life prepared for the next.

-Tim-

^This^
Old 08-08-17, 04:33 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts

Any tips on philosophy, HawkO?
Old 08-08-17, 05:37 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
It looks like your life expectancy is 8.1 years - half of 80 year old men will live longer, half will live less. https://life-span.healthgrove.com/l/81/80. The site looks reliable.

Congratulations on turning 80 and still riding.
Old 08-09-17, 10:03 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HawkOwl, I think you might have miss construed my reply.

My mom's wish was the same goal as yours and one could say she received her wish BUT along with that wish has come almost totally being bed ridden, being fed, being attended to for personal needs, discomfort so drugs must be administered to minimize pain which then causes functioning issues, hallucinations, incomprehensible ramblings, anger issues towards those who are there to assist her.

UNLIKE MY MOTHER,
my health at 67 is worse than hers was. Some life expectancy projections for my cancer are 7 years with some extension if I choose to spend $250,000/year for medications to begin at the appropriate time in the future. I will not do so and will not live as my mother currently is. I will continue to live my life to the fullest and do not believe in something following after my death.
From the words in your post you bear a very significant emotional burden. I hope you are able to work your way through that.

But, I am confused. You seem to be upset at your mother's choice to accept ongoing and extensive support. Apparently she had a healthy life to a particular pont in time. At that point she could have chosen to end it, but chose intensive support. Now you are railing about the elements of that life. I don't understand that. It is her decision and her life. As her kin I see your role as supporting whatever she chooses.

As for your future, you write like it is cast in concrete. If you read my post you can see I don't believe that. When the body is worn out, or disease ridden, and no longer serves you as you wish you have decisions to make. It is not mandatory you live in the kind of environment you portray. If you do, that is your choice.
Old 08-09-17, 12:40 PM
OldTryGuy

From the words in your post you bear a very significant emotional burden. I hope you are able to work your way through that.

But, I am confused. You seem to be upset at your mother's choice to accept ongoing and extensive support. Apparently she had a healthy life to a particular pont in time. At that point she could have chosen to end it, but chose intensive support. Now you are railing about the elements of that life. I don't understand that. It is her decision and her life. As her kin I see your role as supporting whatever she chooses.

As for your future, you write like it is cast in concrete. If you read my post you can see I don't believe that. When the body is worn out, or disease ridden, and no longer serves you as you wish you have decisions to make. It is not mandatory you live in the kind of environment you portray. If you do, that is your choice.
Thank you for your response. Too often my words do not clearly express my thoughts. Rest assured that the possibility that I "bear a very significant emotional burden" would be the same as finding snow on the surface of the sun.

As do many individuals, my mother made a choice to seek medical attention that resulted in prolonging her life beyond its "natural progression to death." We had discussions of her living longer than she ever thought she would and I told her that without the medical intervention she chose, she indeed would not be alive AND SHE AGREED. She now lacks any quality of life and is simply existing while waiting for death. For decades she assisted others who were in her condition and she expressed a profound desire to never wanting to live as they were and as she is now. Her choice was dictated by her belief in God, Jesus, the Bible and her Christian faith that prevented her from taking any action that would have prevented this outcome. I never had an issue with that nor do I now. I on the other hand have no religious beliefs and as such I WILL NOT wind up like her. I accept the fact that should my cancer follow its normal progression I have 7 years left with a possibility of some extra but quantity means nothing without quality.

My "RAILING" with living as she and millions of others do is that unlike Soylent Green and Sol, Edward G. Robinson's character, we do not have euthanasia legally available.
Old 08-09-17, 09:35 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for your response. Too often my words do not clearly express my thoughts. Rest assured that the possibility that I "bear a very significant emotional burden" would be the same as finding snow on the surface of the sun.

As do many individuals, my mother made a choice to seek medical attention that resulted in prolonging her life beyond its "natural progression to death." We had discussions of her living longer than she ever thought she would and I told her that without the medical intervention she chose, she indeed would not be alive AND SHE AGREED. She now lacks any quality of life and is simply existing while waiting for death. For decades she assisted others who were in her condition and she expressed a profound desire to never wanting to live as they were and as she is now. Her choice was dictated by her belief in God, Jesus, the Bible and her Christian faith that prevented her from taking any action that would have prevented this outcome. I never had an issue with that nor do I now. I on the other hand have no religious beliefs and as such I WILL NOT wind up like her. I accept the fact that should my cancer follow its normal progression I have 7 years left with a possibility of some extra but quantity means nothing without quality.

My "RAILING" with living as she and millions of others do is that unlike Soylent Green and Sol, Edward G. Robinson's character, we do not have euthanasia legally available.

This is getting way off topic. So, after this exchange maybe we should move it to another thread if there is a desire to explore further.

Don't know about Soylent Green. I've heard the term. But only suspect it has something to do with recycling humans. Anyway...

I fully agree, as compared to our pets and livestock we treat each other without care, or compassion. There is no rational reason why a person shouldn't have effective assistance when they have decided to end their life.

But, that lack is actually no barrier to making the decision and carrying through on it. Lots of self help around. Some methods will create significant pain for a few seconds. Others will not. But all are effective and will not risk having an overbearing law enforcement, or prosecutor punishing your friend for carrying out your wishes.

But, for me, it looks like the day of that decision is a long time in the future. Considering my lifestyle something else may get me first. That is OK. I have never lived for longevity. I have always lived for accomplishment.
Old 08-10-17, 02:13 AM
OldTryGuy

This is getting way off topic............ I have always lived for accomplishment.
Smooth roads with enjoyable pedaling to your destination.