Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Q for using ultrasonic parts cleaner...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 10:48 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

Anyone had any issues letting it run a long time or leaving the parts in for multiple runs? If drivetrain parts are extra gunky I've been rinsing after the first run and add fresh degreaser (citrus based stuff from HD) and go again. I only have a cheapie one so it's not powerfull. I haven't noticed any problems, yet at least. I'm wondering if wash/rince/repeat until I'm happy or if I'm just lucky there hasn't been a problem yet.
Old 04-07-23, 11:29 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I’ve stripped the finish off a few parts leaving them too long.

Barry
Old 04-08-23, 05:04 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’ve stripped the coating right off brand new parts using citrus degreaser even when diluted. I heard on a podcast to use Castile soap. It can be found at your local pharmacy or grocery store. It’s gentle, affordable and easy to find. Most importantly it works better than anything I’ve tried in my cleaner.
Old 04-08-23, 06:35 AM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
My Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner never degraded any of the parts that it cleaned, however, the cleaner stopped working after approximately 90 minutes of cumulative run time and well after the warranty expired.
Old 04-08-23, 07:24 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
I had a cheap Harbor Freight one that didn't cause a problem, but I upgraded to one more powerful and it took the lettering off of a set of Suntour derailleurs.
Old 04-08-23, 10:54 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
...I have mostly used either a 50/50 mix of the purple cleaner and water in my Harbor Freight ultrasonic. On occasion, I have just used water, with the smaller parts sealed in a container or sealed plastic bag along with that or mineral spirits.

I have never noticed any problems with multiple runs, but I am careful not to let the parts soak in the cleaning solution, and they go straight into a bucket of water when they come out. After rinsing, they air dry.

Most of the issues I've heard about with Simple Green (the regular green stuff), involve people who let the parts soak overnight in the stuff. But if you are willing to deal with all the extra hassles of handling and disposal of mineral spirits, I've not heard of many problems with that stuff as your cleaner. It will remove a painted on logo on occasion, though.

Harbor Freight ultrasonics are pretty shoddily constructed, but on sale, you can't beat the price. For sporadic and occasional use, they do the job. But be careful if that's what you are using. I set the much abused one over at the co-op on fire, accidentally, once. The electronics on them are not well sealed, and they need to be drained and dried between uses.
Old 04-08-23, 11:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
I'll use mine for the max 4 minute run. If that doesn't do the job, I resort to manual cleaning. If the part is super gunky to begin with, I will start with a manual cleaning then the UltSon cleaner
Old 04-09-23, 06:19 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Wondering if the Harbor Freight cleaners have heating elements. My Omegasonics does and the heat makes a huge difference.
Old 04-09-23, 01:58 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 412 Posts
Same here, years ago at a used tool shop I found an industrial ultrasonic and the 100º F heat makes just about any aqueous cleaner I try as good as any other.
Old 04-09-23, 02:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Wondering if the Harbor Freight cleaners have heating elements. My Omegasonics does and the heat makes a huge difference.
...yes, they do. But the heating elements are about equal to the overall minimal quality of the rest of it. They work for occasional use, at an occasional use price point. (It's one of their common, special discount coupon items.)
Old 04-09-23, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I’ve stripped the coating right off brand new parts using citrus degreaser even when diluted. I heard on a podcast to use Castile soap. It can be found at your local pharmacy or grocery store. It’s gentle, affordable and easy to find. Most importantly it works better than anything I’ve tried in my cleaner.
Dr. Bronner's is great for just about everything. The only place so far I have not been a fan is as a toothpaste but for cleaning your body, dishes, floors, clothes...it works a treat and you can get large amounts of it that last quite a long while as you really don't need a ton of it.
Old 04-11-23, 06:40 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
Whatever soaking overnite in a glass jar of gasoline doesn't loosen or soften up, ultrasonic does the rest.

I don't throw in caked up stuff into the ultrasonic.

And if I have to ultrasonic more than once, it's brushing in-between.