Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Strong 20" rim, 28h, high pressure rated?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-23, 10:05 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

All,

What suggestions do any of you have for a strong 20" rim with 28 spoke holes that can handle high pressure? I am looking at tires like the schwalbe big apple at 70psi rating.
Old 07-23-23, 11:03 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

On another look - the Schwalbe Pick Up in 20x2.35 might be a better tire in my application. That would be wider than I'd think the "usual" bmx tires are (20x1.5 to 20x2 or so?) and may push the rim width limits. I'd have to run the numbers and see what rim width range would work for that size tire.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/Schwalbe-Pick-Up-11159259

The ultimate goal is to make a set of trailer wheels. The bad part of it is right now I have to lace the rims to my existing hubs because the trailer set up uses stub axles. I have ideas on making a stub axle for a cone/race style hub, but that is too far beyond the scope of what I can do right now, unfortunately. If I could do that then I could go up to a 32 or 36 hole hub/rim set. Since I am locked to the hubs I'm locked to 28 hole rims at this point.

At some point I want to make a trailer from scratch that uses an external rail to support the wheels from both sides. Then I can use conventional cone/race hubs. Until then I am locked to the hubs I have.
Old 07-23-23, 01:12 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
If it’s for a trailer you can use what you want.

The ones riding new BMX will have around the 2.4 tire size.

The dept store variety come with 2.125 or so.
Old 07-23-23, 06:25 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
If it’s for a trailer you can use what you want.

The ones riding new BMX will have around the 2.4 tire size.

The dept store variety come with 2.125 or so.
Seems to me around 20x1.75 was common 15-20 years ago.

Back then Alex made a triple wall rim that was a common upgrade for freestyle/city street type riding. I can't seem to find the triple wall rims anymore so I gather they aren't made anymore.

The thought behind bmx type rims is 20" wheels is a common size and with all the freestyle park and city abuse I would think there would be a heavy service rim out there?

My concern on the trailer is weight capacity and hitting bumps. The stronger the rim the less chances of having issues.

At this point with the hubs I have I think the axle is the weakest link. That is if I upgrade the rims. The current ones have tires rated to only 35psi. I get too much rolling resistance with them when loaded. I dont trust the rims much for putting higher pressure rated (60-70+psi) tires on them - I think they would come apart quick under the pressure and load.
Old 07-24-23, 03:51 PM
dansjustchillin
Retrograde Customs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
TNT M80s come in 28h and they're plenty strong.