Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tires for touring C&O/GAP

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tires for touring C&O/GAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 09:54 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
For what it is worth, need for a spare may also correlate with weight (both rider and bike) and also where you go. I am heavier and have had sidewalls tear a few times. I also ran over a nail/spike once that completely went in/out of the same tire. I expect probability of both to be low on C&O and GAP, because of the terrain and because it isn't that far - and even less if the tires are fairly new. I did carry two spares riding in South America and across Asia on trips where I didn't expect to find easily high quality tires in my size.

With that said, it has been a while for sudden failure without any warning, knock on wood.
Old 11-01-23, 10:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
.... I figure that is all of my 72 years and a great deal of riding I have never had a tire fail badly enough to not be able to be booted and leave me stranded. Maybe I have just been lucky. ....
I have not had a tire completely fail since ... I think I had not reached teenager status, and I am 69 years young now. So, we pretty much have the same experience. (I am not including tubular tires in this discussion, have not ridden those for decades.)

But, bad stuff happens.

The 290 grams I carried on my last tour is not an important amount of weight to me, but you have described your touring style enough that I can see where that is like dragging an anchor to you.
Old 11-01-23, 11:26 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I too am an old codger who has never had a catastrophic tire failure in all my years of touring, but thanks mainly to the Eurovelo routes, I find myself more and more on gravel and rocky paths where there is greater danger to my skinny 32mm Gator Hardshells. This has caused me to wonder if I should carry a spare… I‘m not there yet, so it‘ll probably take a ripped sidewall to change my mind
Old 11-01-23, 03:52 PM
frogshawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
The last time I did the GAP & CO I used 40mm Schwalbe Marathons and they fine, however when I ride it again I will something in the 48-50mm range for that bit of extra cushion.
Old 11-02-23, 11:26 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
Did it using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26 x 1.5 - no problems at all. Recommendation: Exit C&O, get on and follow Western Maryland Rail Trail, then return to C&O. WMRT is paved, C&O is not. GAP is great.
of course no problems with that tire, super save tire. just that it rides hard like concrete.
Likes For str:
Old 11-08-23, 05:39 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I finally wore out the rear Donnelly MSO 40MM knobby rear on my Jamis Renegade I use on C&O/GAP, North Central Rail Trail. I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathon 35MMs that I used on that bike for some multi-day road tours. I definitely echo the "rides hard like concrete."

They are wide enough and tough enough for the Towpath and perfectly fine for the GAP. But for the C&O Towpath and even the NCR trail, the ride is so much rougher that I'm going to buy another Donnelly 40MM to replace the worn rear (I saved the front) and go back to those.

Originally Posted by str
of course no problems with that tire, super save tire. just that it rides hard like concrete.
Old 11-08-23, 11:50 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I finally wore out the rear Donnelly MSO 40MM knobby rear on my Jamis Renegade I use on C&O/GAP, North Central Rail Trail. I replaced them with Schwalbe Marathon 35MMs that I used on that bike for some multi-day road tours. I definitely echo the "rides hard like concrete."

They are wide enough and tough enough for the Towpath and perfectly fine for the GAP. But for the C&O Towpath and even the NCR trail, the ride is so much rougher that I'm going to buy another Donnelly 40MM to replace the worn rear (I saved the front) and go back to those.
The Donnelly MSO is a great tire, very comforting rolling.
Old 11-08-23, 09:27 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Hey lionheart dude, how wide are your present tires- you answered"700" but no widths.
​​​​​​
just realized you haven't been back here.
Old 11-12-23, 11:32 AM
cequip

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires/GAP

I was near Myersdale, Pa. in late September and got a day in on the GAP. I was riding Specialized Pathfinder Pros in 42 wide. Everything I saw and rode would of probably been good on 32 and up with little bit of tread. It was all kind of crush and run, maybe cinders surface. My only concern on narrow road tires would be if I had to swerve suddenly and lost the front wheel in the slightly loose stuff. Seems like a mighty slim chance of that happening though. I think about any kind of bike or tire will do okay there. Great trail system for sure. Cannot wait to get back and do the whole thing. The C and O part appears prone to wetness at least on Youtube so might appreciate a little more grip on that part.
Old 11-23-23, 09:38 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
I did the C&O earlier this year on 40mm Schwalbe Marathons which were fine, I have put them through much worse than the towpath has to offer without a problem although not as comfortable as something wider.
Old 11-24-23, 05:20 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Riding the C&O

Did it on 26 x 1.5 Schwalbe Marathons. No problems. Good to have fenders...