Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tout Terrain Blueridge GT with Pinion

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tout Terrain Blueridge GT with Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 01:18 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I heard somewhere that Rohloff hubs were real popular in the US compared to some other countries. I only saw one Rohloff hub in the flesh prior to going to the shop were I ordered my bicycle. I had seen them online since the early 2000s.

I ordered my Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff in Dec 2013. I believe you are correct about there startup date.

They could do a torque sensing BB but this would be complicated. People like us wouldn't need a sensor but there are those who would not play well with something that requires them to think about letting off of the pressure before shifting. When Indexing showed up in the bicycle shop I was working in. The Suntour Indexing was flaky at first. We started using non index type housing on the short section before the derailer. This improved the shifting. The derailers have been improved over the years so they are more forgiving of bad shifts. When I started bicycling you had to pay attention and let off the pressure. I have seen twisted derailleur hangers because of bad shifts.
A neighbor told me that my Rohloff is the only Rohloff he has ever seen, he is a mechanic at one of the biggest bike shops in my community. I have seen a Rohloff on a tandem in my community, but never saw another one on a solo bike. On the other hand, I saw 8 Rohloffs during a month long tour in Iceland, almost everyone I met there that was bike touring was from the UK or continental Europe.

So, you ordered your Pangea less than a year after I considered getting a Pangea. I chose the Thorn Nomad Mk II instead, primarily based on cost. I ordered my Nomad in April 2013. I think we are both happy with our decisions.

I would expect that any torque sensing innards on the hub would create a giant opportunity for a hub failure in the middle of nowhere.