Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike recommendation for Patagonia tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike recommendation for Patagonia tour

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23, 10:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by dahlia
That is a nice picture, and looks very remote! Those panniers look really full, do you know how much your setup weigh? I've have some lightweight gear from backpacking so I'm hoping I can keep things under 20 pounds, 25 if I bring my camera + 15lbs for food and water
I don't have an exact route planned yet but I've been reading lots of blogs and doing research. I'm probably going to follow this guide for the most part - https://www.bicyclepatagonia.com/sections/

My main priority is being able to climb since that will dictate which bike I bring. My stamina isn't amazing by any means but I can build a lot of that when I start the tour.
That was heading back into the Iceland interior which was quite remote, only 4X4 vehicles, etc. Weight, not sure, but it was much heavier than 20 pounds. The empty weight of the panniers and racks and rack top bag was 6.08kg, or 13.4 pounds. That bike has a weight capacity of 60 kg of luggage not counting the weight of the rider, I am sure I was below that, but not sure by how much.

That was the last bike trip that I used an older heavy tent, the tent weighed 2.78kg or 6.12 pounds, but I now tour with a 3.5 pound tent. I carried a liquid fuel stove on that trip but I no longer travel on airplanes with a liquid fuel stove, now only use a butane mix type of stove when I fly somewhere.

Backpacking, I usually carry about 2 pounds of food per day, but bike touring for longer periods of time I splurge a bit and carry heavier food, including canned food. When the weight is on my shoulder straps or hip belt, I am much more weight conscious than when the weight is on the wheels and tires. In the photo above I had roughly a week of food on the bike, probably 7 kg or 15 to 16 pounds of food and 3 liters of water on the bike. The racktop bag and four panniers have a volume capacity of 96 liters.

That bike has a low gear of 16.2 gear inches, it has a Rohloff rear hub, and 57mm wide tires. My derailleur touring bikes that I used for lighter duty touring have a low gear of 19.3 or 20.7 gear inches.

I got a waterproof point and shoot camera for bike touring, canoeing, kayaking, etc. Very compact, lightweight and takes good photos, including the photo you commented on.