Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What’s your "can’t live without" gear?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What’s your "can’t live without" gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 08:51 AM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
On the subject of can't-live-without coffee, I don't think I've ever seen mention of what to do when you like real milk or cream in your coffee. I certainly do and I'd go without coffee if I had to drink it black. For my last car camping trip I discovered heavy cream powder made from real cream. It isn't cheap, but once prepared it comes pretty close to tasting and behaving like the real thing.
Old 08-29-23, 09:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul_P
On the subject of can't-live-without coffee, I don't think I've ever seen mention of what to do when you like real milk or cream in your coffee. I certainly do and I'd go without coffee if I had to drink it black. For my last car camping trip I discovered heavy cream powder made from real cream. It isn't cheap, but once prepared it comes pretty close to tasting and behaving like the real thing.
NIDO is full fat powdered milk. I've used powdered milk as a protein and fat source. It works well in coffee. I usually drink espresso but will use instant coffee sometimes
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-06-23, 01:31 PM
HectorStorm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
The granny gear.
Old 09-08-23, 04:39 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm not a coffee drinker and so it's hard for me to grasp this worship of the dark beverage but I will say, the most popular gentleman within my little touring group every morning, is my buddy who hauls along his coffee press each and every ride. It should be rule #1 in any book titled "How to Make New Friends While Touring"
When I was on the first leg of my Ohio to Erie tour in '21 I stealth camped one particular night. My mojo when stealth camping was to be packing before daybreak and rolling at daybreak. I did just that and in the first mile or so I came to a trailhead where I stopped for breakfast. Usually I would have a bit of coffee from the day before to reheat before I left stealth camps so that was what got me going. However, I cooked breakfast and brewed more coffee at the trailhead.

When I stopped there I found 2 people hanging in hammocks in the shelter house. Pretty weird. I've never seen anyone do that, but it was a pretty good idea. As I was clanging around with breakfast they got up and emerged.

Come to find out, the two guys were roller blading the Ohio to Erie in segments. They were going south and I was going north. They did not bring anything with them but a bit of water and some snack bars. No cooking gear or anything.

Now the kicker. The low temp that night was close to freezing. This was late October in Ohio.

I've never seen anyone so miserable and uncomfortable on my adventures.

Seeing that, I brewed a 2nd pot of coffee for them.

Never underestimate the power of:
A. The smell of coffee
B. A warm beverage to offer to fellow trail mates freezing their arses off

I do hope the two got a lesson on preparedness. I'm just glad I stumbled in to them that morning. Theres a reason I camped where I did and got going that morning when I did and went where I did.
Old 09-08-23, 07:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
NIDO is full fat powdered milk. I've used powdered milk as a protein and fat source. It works well in coffee. I usually drink espresso but will use instant coffee sometimes
Yeah, Nido is great. Also good for other stuff like on cereal, for cooking, drinking, whatever you use milk for.

I can't do without my coffee at home. I turn the pot on first thing. Perhaps strangely, on tour I have taken to drinking it only when I stop in diners. If I go a few days without I am fine. I guess I am not cafeine addicted. After a few days without the next cup is so good! Backpacking I carry Via and Nido.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-08-23, 07:27 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My wife knows to turn my espresso machine on if she gets up first.

When I was younger, I camped most nights but still never carried anything to make coffee. I'd get it in town somewhere. Nowadays, I usually stay in motels more than tents. Towns have places to buy coffee. I used to bring a stove and tea for colder and wetter climates, and it saved my butt more than once. But doing something like TA, there are not many stretches of road that I would not get a coffee sometime in the morning. I think Via is pretty decent and have used it cold. I had some when attempting a Thru (wiped out in the Smokies in snow in May, bad sprain was fun hiking out on) on the AT and it was great with sugar and Nido. Purist will die but one of my favorite breakfasts was 2 for $2 EggMcmuffins and a large coffee loaded with cream. Under 5 bucks, a ton of calories, a toilet, wifi, and a free charge of electronics.
Old 09-09-23, 09:58 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
So my slightly more offbeat item is even when I anticipate staying in motels, I'll bring a lightweight tube tent.

​​​​​​
Can you elaborate on your tube tent? What is it? Can you close off the ends to protect from wind driven rain?
Old 09-09-23, 10:28 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
KC8QVO mev's tent is somewhat similar to this poncho tarp that I plan to use instead of a tent next year. Usually pitched across the wind, and low to the ground if it rains. Experienced users do not report major issues. As I carry an umbrella, I could use it to close one end if the wind turns during a storm.
Old 09-10-23, 04:26 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Can you elaborate on your tube tent? What is it? Can you close off the ends to protect from wind driven rain?
Looks like it is no longer available, but here is where I ordered on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is one step up from those emergency shelters - in that is is at least as durable. It also unzips into a flat tarp.
It does not have an explicit method to close off the ends. However, it is long enough that I can shelter away from the rain. Not as good in areas with bugs (I've brought a separate bug net) but more of my cycling is west so that works.
Likes For mev:
Old 09-19-23, 05:44 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Attitude.
Whatever you bring, there can always be a situation you did not prepare for.
That said, I do plan based on my needs, desires and weaknesses, and review each trip to evaluate what I used and what I wished I had brought.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-27-23, 09:24 PM
ShannonM

Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
42x18.

Wouldn't build a bike without one.

--Shannon

PS: yes, this is a non-responsive answer. It is also both true, and funny, at least to me.
Old 10-06-23, 01:06 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
It so depends on the region, duration and weather. But I like to have soft, cozy clothes for camp.
Old 10-09-23, 05:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Baby wipes, great to clean whatever you need cleaned (all the cracks and cervices usually). Generally what I take can vary slightly here and there but wipes are always with me when I am camping/touring/bike packing.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-09-23, 07:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
My wife and I like Napoleon's theory that an army (and cycle tourists and backpackers) travel on their stomachs. Thus we never go camp touring or backpacking without our Sigg Tourist Cook Kit: I bought ours in 1967 at Sporthaus Schuster in Munich, but they are always available on ebay, from $25 to $250. It's the ultimate in camp cookery. Works with a Svea 123 or any of the modern liquid fuel stoves. The pieces in the photo all stack.

Note: not every set on ebay has all the pieces pictured below.
Old 10-09-23, 08:50 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Lights I like to head out around 3am.
Old 10-09-23, 10:52 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Voile Straps

Old 10-10-23, 04:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Lights I like to head out around 3am.
I like to read late. Got tired of burning out headlamp batteries, so I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, which has a backlit screen. Very happy with it. Battery lasts forever, even at full brightness. And it recharges really quickly. Downloads of new material are also very quick. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I got a new book while using the Wi-Fi at a crowded restaurant. Probably weighs more than you average paperback, but saves space.
Old 10-10-23, 09:18 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
A sanity hat to wear before entering for any social media platform........
Old 10-10-23, 12:34 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by HectorStorm
The granny gear.
Yup! 28 front 36 back all the way!
Old 10-10-23, 02:42 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
A guitar
Likes For imi:
Old 10-10-23, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by StarBiker
A sanity hat to wear before entering for any social media platform........
Hope you get one and get well soon.
Old 10-11-23, 12:08 PM
ShannonM

Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I like to read late. Got tired of burning out headlamp batteries, so I bought a Kindle Paperwhite, which has a backlit screen. Very happy with it. Battery lasts forever, even at full brightness. And it recharges really quickly. Downloads of new material are also very quick. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I got a new book while using the Wi-Fi at a crowded restaurant. Probably weighs more than you average paperback, but saves space.
If you have a Kindle, or really any e-reader, but especially if you have a Kindle, you need a software package called Calibre. Not only does it "jailbreak" your Kindle, allowing you to load e-books into it other than by buying them from Amazon, but it allows you to convert e-books into and out of Amazon's AZW3 format, which nothing else uses, and which your Kindle uses exclusively. You can also get your books off of your Kindle, which Amazon won't let you do. Basically, it turns your Kindle and your library into things that you actually own.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 10-11-23, 03:46 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
I am way simple compared to the others on here...

A Red Cotton Bandanna
On tour a red cotton bandanna serves as my, handkerchief, pot holder, wash rag, towel, face-mask, sun shield, sweat-band, bandage, tourniquet, water filter, clothing patch, signal flag, clean work surface, cold compress, food storage, luggage tag, rope, toilet-paper, fashion statement, etc,etc,etc.
Old 10-11-23, 06:17 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Lambkin55
I am way simple compared to the others on here...

A Red Cotton Bandanna
On tour a red cotton bandanna serves as my, handkerchief, pot holder, wash rag, towel, face-mask, sun shield, sweat-band, bandage, tourniquet, water filter, clothing patch, signal flag, clean work surface, cold compress, food storage, luggage tag, rope, toilet-paper, fashion statement, etc,etc,etc.
You wipe your butt before or after you filter your water?

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-11-23 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-11-23, 07:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Comfortable saddle, proper footwear, gel gloves/bar tape, quality polarized sunglasses, sunscreen.
I am not going ANYWHERE without ^^those things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.