Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Garmin Etrex 20x

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Garmin Etrex 20x

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 05:47 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Possibly, or perhaps because I created the commute by clicking on the map in RWGPS, and the commute home by clicking "reverse," and letting RWGPS create it?
No matter; I'll experiment.
Old 12-10-23, 05:50 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Originally Posted by fishboat
Looks good. When you download files from RWGPS be sure to download a GPX Track not a Route. Import it into Basecamp then use Basecamp to transfer it to the E-20..hopefully you have the usb cord that goes with the E-20.

If you any questions on setting it up..ask. It's pretty simple if you know how to use it. Loading up a track for a ride and starting the ride takes 4 toggle entries and about 3 seconds(not including turning the unit on). ..that can be pared down to 3 toggle entries if you choose to set up your home screen as the Track Manager.
I have a Chromebook, so I don't think I can get Basecamp to run on my computer. I'll check and see if there's a version in the App Store.
Old 12-10-23, 05:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Possibly, or perhaps because I created the commute by clicking on the map in RWGPS, and the commute home by clicking "reverse," and letting RWGPS create it?
No matter; I'll experiment.
How the route is created in RWGPS is irrelevant. When you export the file, you are given a bunch of options. One of those options is "GPX Track" and another is "GPX Route".
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 12-10-23, 05:56 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
I have a Chromebook, so I don't think I can get Basecamp to run on my computer. I'll check and see if there's a version in the App Store.
BaseCamp only runs in Windows or Mac. It's not something being actively developed/enhanced by Garmin any longer. This isn't a big deal because it works fine as it is but it means (almost certainly) you won't see it on other platforms.

If you use RWGPS, you don't need BaseCamp at all.

You might want to avoid trying to "do everything" right now. Dealing with BaseCamp now isn't really going to help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

BaseCamp is its own route planner (it does some other things too). One advantage of it is that it doesn't need internet access. Another advantage is that it can use the maps on the device. Though, that really isn't a big deal if you are using OSM maps since all the route planners provide OSM maps.

A downside is that it's a bit fussy to use for route planning (it's much easier to use RWGPS or one of the other web-based route planners).

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-10-23 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-10-23, 06:31 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Originally Posted by njkayaker
How the route is created in RWGPS is irrelevant. When you export the file, you are given a bunch of options. One of those options is "GPX Track" and another is "GPX Route".
I must have gone in the options and picked Route for one.
Old 12-12-23, 07:50 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Here is my new Garmin Etrex20x:

Pratt very generously sent me his Garmin, as 'tis the season. Thanks Pratt!
I will experiment with it on my commutes, and see if I can figure it out before touring next Summer. As asked above, I am really not a gadget person, but I've already found routes on RWGPS (US Bike Route 20, say) that I am interested in riding.
Very nice of Pratt to send this to you, its nice to see positive posts.
Likes For DCwom:
Old 12-12-23, 06:22 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Ok, I managed to save some tracks and mount the etrex to my handlebars. I tried a few different versions of the display, but automotive seems to work.

leaving work

on the wheel

I do need the backlight, though, because it's dark on my way to work and dark on my way home.

Seems to be pretty straightforward. C'mon spring!
Likes For gna: