Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

cycle computer advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 04:29 PM
warriorsdad
HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

Bikes: specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cycle computer advice

I'm looking at getting a cycle computer and don't want to fork out a lot of cash but would like some reliability if that's possible. Can anybody suggest anything I was looking at planet bicycle protege wireless but I'm indecisive.
Old 07-15-09, 09:48 PM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you have a windows mobile cell phone, or iphone, then you can use those free cycle computer software, it works great!
Old 07-17-09, 10:06 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wireless? I thought you said you wanted something that didn't cost a lot of money and needed reliability? Wireless cost more then wired computers, and wireless are not as reliable as wired. Wireless will not last as long plus you have to deal with two sets of batteries, one set in the computer and one set in the sending unit, the sending unit last about 8-12 months (at least in a Cateye), while the computer bats will last 3 years or more. Wireless sometimes will lose information near high power wires but I never had that happen on my Cateye; the sending unit will freeze up during below freezing rides again no info on the computer; the sending unit seems to be short lived according to others that reported on this before here, mine lasted 5 years (Cateye replaced the first sending unit for free a year after the warranty expired, so I had the computer for a total of 7 years with 2 sending units). My last wired computer lasted 18 years!

Cateye Strada dollar for dollar is the best value for the money and will last. If your putting it on a mtb consider the Cateye Enduro 8, it has a thicker wire. The Strada comes in either plain, with cadence, or wireless with or without cadence.

Everyone will have their favorite computer, but your describtion of needs didn't match what your wanting to get. The Planet wireless will average about $45 while the Strada wired will average about $30...but so does the Planet Protege wired if your stuck on Planet computers. I know, it's only $15 difference, but you did say not a lot of cash.

I happen to prefer Cateye because I know that they last and their customer service is top notch. But I'll "probably" never buy another wireless.
Old 07-18-09, 11:21 AM
warriorsdad
HARD WORK PAYS OFF!

Bikes: specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet bike computers say lifetime warranty that sound pretty good.
That's what gets my interest..
Old 07-18-09, 12:14 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I never meant a lifetime warranty I ever liked, but maybe Planet bike is the exception?
Old 08-09-10, 10:27 AM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reviving an old thread, looking for an affordable computer to track speed and distance

sick of trying different android apps that all lose gps signals when i'm downtown

saw 2 at sports authority, 1 for $20 and 1 for $40 couldn't tell why one was worth twice the amount of the other.

will probably just order the Cateye Strada Cadence online. i would rather run a wire than deal with more 'lost signals'

Last edited by mustachiod; 08-09-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 11:16 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 17 function Schwinn one that Amazon had for $10 was a great deal --

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW654-...1373974&sr=1-2

... but now it's $20 and not so awesome any more (it's still good, but not awesome.) But you can find similar versions with fewer features (no thermometer, perhaps not a backlight) at Walmart for $10-$20.

The reliability is fine -- the only downsides is that the unit is slightly physically larger than some others, and the sensor requires that the magnet come really close to the sensor -- so it's less forgiving of imperfect installations than some more expensive units. But once it's installed, it works and works and works and no problems.
Old 08-09-10, 01:06 PM
szehui

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently picked up a Cateye Astrale 8 from Performance for $30 shipped. No frills, it's the cheapest bike computer I could find that does cadence. Installation instructions that come in the packaging are useless, but a better version of the manual is available from Cateye's website. Also, I zip-tied the mount to my handlebar rather than use the supplied screw because it was just so hard to work with. Other than those two things, pretty happy with it so far.