Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

I want to fix the world - Step one Fix Myself

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I want to fix the world - Step one Fix Myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 06:27 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bdinger
Also I know this seems trivial but believe in yourself.
This is the most important point. Chris, remember when we first met, I'd corrected you to say "when I lose weight", not "if I lose weight?" That's because you HAVE to believe in yourself. You KNOW you will make this happen. I believe in you, Chris, but unless you believe in yourself nothing will happen.

Also, Bdinger gives excellent advice in general. Read his posts.

Old 01-13-13, 06:42 AM
Neil_B

More ride photos:

Callmeclemens stays out of whatever Nerys and the Iron Chef are arguing about.

"Really?"

The Iron Chef decides that real men eat salad with balsamic. Seriously, the lunch stop discussion was interesting, and perhaps mind-blowing for Nerys. The Iron Chef and I have each lost large amounts of weight using somewhat different approaches - he with Weight Watchers, I rolling my own - and neither of us is wrong or right. We both made points. Nerys got a lot to chew over, even if all he ate was chili.

Nerys comes to terms with his soda consumption. Look at his shirt.... now that's sweat!

Heading back to the truck. "Are there any more hills?" asked Nerys. No, there aren't, I thought, but if there were you would climb them.

Old 01-13-13, 06:57 AM
Neil_B

Anyway all I know is that when I see someone like you I wish I could bottle up the feeling of walking into a regular store and buying regular clothes, or perhaps just being unnoticed in a crowd. It's brilliant. It's worth it. You can do it.
Ben, when I rode with Nerys on Tuesday I used almost exactly the same language to describe the same idea. You and I know what's going to happen as Nerys shrinks.... his world is going to grow.

Old 01-13-13, 08:59 AM
Neil_B

BTW, Nerys and his bike are a hit on another forum. If you follow the link in my signature line you will be taken to BoneSmart, a forum for people who undergo knee and hip replacement. Anyway, I post about my hikes and rides to my "recovery" thread, since recovery means nothing if I don't live life in full. Nerys and his bike are getting more attention than I do, because the older folks who make up the bulk of BoneSmart posters love the Day Six. Also, joint replacement folks have to lose weight like other folks, so they think Nerys is inspiring.

Best comment? "Tell Chris we are all rooting for him in his weight loss journey."

Old 01-13-13, 12:31 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Ben, when I rode with Nerys on Tuesday I used almost exactly the same language to describe the same idea. You and I know what's going to happen as Nerys shrinks.... his world is going to grow.
It's really something that words can't describe. I've become kind of.. ridiculous with it lately. Every time I go to Target I check out the clearance rack and buy something, mainly because I can. And because it's awesome to pay $10 for a good looking hoodie instead of $30 for crap at the Big & Tall.

Nerys, if there's anything that keeps you going, remember that you can. Neil hit it on the head - you have to stop saying "if" and start saying "when". It may sound ridiculous, but it will change you.
Old 01-13-13, 02:07 PM
nerys

Bikes: Day 6 Dream 21

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes. the if habit is slowly but surely being broken, crushed, mangled, sat on while I am still heavy enough to squish things :-)

Neil. I asked if there was any more hills because it seemed like we were not far from the end and I wanted to "up the speed" a lame sprint to the end. I knew if I did that and there were hills I might use up what's left and cause trouble :-) held 13mph for a while :-)

I woke up this morning..... this afternoon (that tells you something) but I feel ok. I don't think I have any pain at all actually. a bit "sore" all over a slight achy stiffness in the legs but no actual "pain" (I assume this is good right?)

I slept 11 hours! (went to bed around 3-4, orbital transfer burns last night I am getting better at them)

Today will be a dietary challenge. we are going out to eat for my mothers birthday. most likely a buffet. this is actually a good thing because if I am careful I can eat well on little calories (really love salad bars just have to watch the dressing since that is where all the calories are)

I am good with desert all fruit for me :-) maybe have a small piece of steak if they have that (been a while since I had steak)

I have not eaten anything today since I just got up. since we are going to eat in a few hours I don't want to eat much seems silly. so going to make something small like 2 eggs and some cooked peppers onions etc.. see what I have downstairs to hold me over and I still have a 10 mile ride to do today.
Old 01-13-13, 02:40 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nerys
yes. the if habit is slowly but surely being broken, crushed, mangled, sat on while I am still heavy enough to squish things :-)

Neil. I asked if there was any more hills because it seemed like we were not far from the end and I wanted to "up the speed" a lame sprint to the end. I knew if I did that and there were hills I might use up what's left and cause trouble :-) held 13mph for a while :-)

I woke up this morning..... this afternoon (that tells you something) but I feel ok. I don't think I have any pain at all actually. a bit "sore" all over a slight achy stiffness in the legs but no actual "pain" (I assume this is good right?)

I slept 11 hours! (went to bed around 3-4, orbital transfer burns last night I am getting better at them)

Today will be a dietary challenge. we are going out to eat for my mothers birthday. most likely a buffet. this is actually a good thing because if I am careful I can eat well on little calories (really love salad bars just have to watch the dressing since that is where all the calories are)

I am good with desert all fruit for me :-) maybe have a small piece of steak if they have that (been a while since I had steak)

I have not eaten anything today since I just got up. since we are going to eat in a few hours I don't want to eat much seems silly. so going to make something small like 2 eggs and some cooked peppers onions etc.. see what I have downstairs to hold me over and I still have a 10 mile ride to do today.
Buffets are dangerous not because of the food, but the quality of the food. They generally go for the cheapest quality to sell it in bulk, and that's dangerous.

That said, there's only so much you can do to screw up veggies and fruit. Meat, well, same. It may be a fatty or cheap cut of the most hormone laden crap meat out there - but it's still going to be better for you than even a single roll, pasta, or other junk they would have there. Dressings and cheeses, I'd avoid like the plague. Look for vinegar and oil, specifically olive oil and balsamic vinegar. They are going to do better for you than any dressing. Olive oil has a ton of calories so be careful with it, but it does have real health benefits.

In fact, somewhat ironically, last night I was going over a "nutrition audit" of my own plan. I found even the "good" dressing I've been using (Annie's Naturals) is essentially empty calories. Switching to balsamic vinegar, which frankly I really like, will save me two apples worth of calories per day. Or a banana and an apple. Or - you get the idea. Bang for the buck, I like to say.

You have a good plan, make sure to have a backup to the backup. I'm known for always taking a Cliff or Balance bar in my pocket whenever I go into a restaurant that is outside of my norm or I've never been to. I've got no problem drinking coffee and mowing on a Cliff Bar if I don't like the answers the wait staff give to me. Nor do I have a problem taking said things to work events or parties, where it's often an unknown as to what the caterers will do. My health matters more to me than hurting someone's feelings for eating a Cliff Bar instead of their catered dinner .

All that said, you should be proud of yourself for formulating a plan before even going in. Most folks that have been at weight loss for years still haven't gotten that part down. Very proud.
Old 01-13-13, 02:48 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well thankfully we are likely going to a regular buffet like gold corral. and not a chinese buffet. the chinese ones are evil. everything is good but you are clueless as to what is IN, calorie wise, what your eating. :-)
Old 01-13-13, 02:53 PM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's really something that words can't describe. I've become kind of.. ridiculous with it lately. Every time I go to Target I check out the clearance rack and buy something, mainly because I can. And because it's awesome to pay $10 for a good looking hoodie instead of $30 for crap at the Big & Tall.

Nerys, if there's anything that keeps you going, remember that you can. Neil hit it on the head - you have to stop saying "if" and start saying "when". It may sound ridiculous, but it will change you.
I hope someday to be able to do that. I hate shopping at Big and Tall all the time. GRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 01-13-13, 02:57 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well thankfully we are likely going to a regular buffet like gold corral. and not a chinese buffet. the chinese ones are evil. everything is good but you are clueless as to what is IN, calorie wise, what your eating. :-)
Golden Corral is actually pretty good. I went on a business trip with two of their Head Chefs and it was surprising at the quality of food. They butcher all of their meats in house and freshly bake too. I love it!

Though, a buffet is great, you need to watch your portions and what you put into your body. Think of food as fuel.
Old 01-13-13, 03:15 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here Here. I can't WAIT till I can walk into any normal store see a shirt or pants I like and KNOW my size is on that rack :-)
Old 01-13-13, 03:19 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or if it used to go "Moo" or "Meow"! Chinese buffets scare me now, frankly, and Chinese food was always my main crutch. I just can't bring myself to it now.

Here Here. I can't WAIT till I can walk into any normal store see a shirt or pants I like and KNOW my size is on that rack :-)
You have no idea the release of stress it is. I'm still right on the barrier for pants - I'm at a 42 or 44 - so pants are generally something I can find, but it looks like you have to be a 38 before basically all the styles are stocked. I'll be good when I'm a 36.

At one point I was so big that I wasn't even sure I could get pants at the big and tall. I remember buying 62's that couldn't even fit around my waist.
Old 01-13-13, 03:20 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I hope someday to be able to do that. I hate shopping at Big and Tall all the time. GRRRRRRRRRRR
They are the worst stores.. in the world. Terrible quality clothes that look like tents at prices that you can't even fathom. I remember regularly going on shopping trips to the big and tall, then going home and crying or just getting really really drunk.

Those memories are enough to never want it to happen again.
Old 01-13-13, 04:25 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
big and tall is CHEAP compared to whats available now. the local big and tall is no more. I Miss $50 pairs of pants. next closest place (center city philly 40 minutes away) $109 for a pair of pants.

so now all my pants must come from ebay ($20 to $30) as I physically can't get them locally unless I want to pay $109 !!! ouch.
Old 01-13-13, 04:27 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ehh what its made of never really bothered me. these new chinese buffet's are surprisingly good and you can get a fascinating variety of rather good food.

one local one even has crab legs and frog legs and a bunch of other strange things that taste good.

the problem is you can't tell how many calories your eating. could be 100 or 5000.
Old 01-13-13, 04:48 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are the worst stores.. in the world. Terrible quality clothes that look like tents at prices that you can't even fathom. I remember regularly going on shopping trips to the big and tall, then going home and crying or just getting really really drunk.

Those memories are enough to never want it to happen again.
Our Casual Male just closed down too so its a little drive to go to one. They are better then Big and Tall. Not sure on the prices though. I just know I always pay more then what smaller folk do.
Old 01-13-13, 04:49 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ehh what its made of never really bothered me. these new chinese buffet's are surprisingly good and you can get a fascinating variety of rather good food.

one local one even has crab legs and frog legs and a bunch of other strange things that taste good.

the problem is you can't tell how many calories your eating. could be 100 or 5000.

If it is chinese food, it has tons of sodium.
Old 01-13-13, 04:51 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chris: Do you have sleep apnea?
Old 01-13-13, 05:03 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think so. How would I know?
Old 01-13-13, 05:09 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you dream when you sleep? Do you wake up suddenly at night? Do you snore? https://www.sleeppassport.com/sleep-apnea-symptoms.html
Old 01-13-13, 05:20 PM
nerys

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm that has been a question I have been fascinated with all my life.

I do not dream. ever.

OK let me qualify that. of course I dream. if you don't dream you go nuts (kind of either way its not healthy) so of course I dream but I have "ZERO" recollection of any dreaming taking place so not only do I not remember dreams I don't remember the ACT of dreaming.

NOW something else does happen to me when I am semi sleeping state. My imagination runs. its possible "THIS" is dreaming ?? I don't know. they are 100% lucid however I am aware and I remember everything and I dictate what happens for the most part.

so I had assumed this was just me using my imagination before falling asleep (I daydream a lot its how I problem solve) or as I am waking up but still laying in bed. its entirely possible THIS IS me dreaming and I just can't tell the difference. I am not sure how to tell the difference.

but "dreaming" as I hear other describe it does not appear to be something I can recall even so much as DOING. not even an owe I was dreaming and can't remember. Not as far back as I can recall.

figure I am just weird that way. :-)

I do not wake up suddenly at night. I appear to sleep rather well. I do snore a bit (most fat people do) I am rested when I wake up and I also notice I don't tend to move very much while sleeping. I stay pretty much exactly where I was when I fell asleep. I also notice this cause if I sleep in a "bad" position with a kink in my neck for example it rages me all day aching :-) hehe
Old 01-13-13, 06:48 PM
Neil_B

Does this mean you LIKE hills? Time for the Pagoda Challenge!

You can ride up Mount Penn to the Pagoda from downtown Reading.

Seriously, I knew what you meant. I was waxing poetic, inspired by your journey.

Old 01-13-13, 06:51 PM
Neil_B

I went through that phase. And now since I gained weight I have a closet full of clothes I can't wear. Fortunately as I lose weight I can go shopping again without leaving the closet.

Old 01-13-13, 07:33 PM
Neil_B

big and tall is CHEAP compared to whats available now. the local big and tall is no more. I Miss $50 pairs of pants. next closest place (center city philly 40 minutes away) $109 for a pair of pants.

so now all my pants must come from ebay ($20 to $30) as I physically can't get them locally unless I want to pay $109 !!! ouch.
You pay 109 dollars for sweats?

Old 01-13-13, 07:40 PM
Neil_B

Nerys, I am not surprised you slept 11 hours. I've seen you enough to know the SRT took something out of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.