Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

One month, almost 1000 miles, a few mods, one crash, and man, I'm loving this bike!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

One month, almost 1000 miles, a few mods, one crash, and man, I'm loving this bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 09:04 PM
collegeboymike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got this bike about a month ago, and since then have ridden almost 1000 miles on it. I really couldn't be any happier. With the advice on this forum, I was able to set up the bike properly, and it rides like a dream. Thanks guys! Funny thing...like everyone said would happen, the first time I used the clipless pedals...I totally crashed. Funny that everyone was right. Luckily I caught myself, and the bike with my right palm and did no damage to me or the bike, besides a minor scuff on my palm. I looked a little awkwad wiggling out from under the bike in front of people, and felt totally stupid, but besides my dignity, nothing was injured, and I learned a lesson haha. Since then, I have not had any issues, and it has become second nature to clip and unclip my shoes to and from the pedals.

As far as the mods go, these are them, and my reviews of them. I am now 100% done with the bike.

1. Dropped the handle bar a little bit per the shop's advice. I was told I should ride with it this low for a while though to make sure it's as I need before actually cutting the fork so I don't have to have the spacers on top. So far, I love it. I'll probably cut it this week.

2. I got some FSA water bottle brackets for the bike, and they are very nice cages. They hold the water bottles perfectly when riding, and also look great, and are very sturdy parts. For roughly $40 each, they were a pretty good buy IMO.

3. I also picked up a 420cc carbon saddle bag from Scicon. The bag was only $40, and it fits one tube, a co2 canister and filler, my shoe cleats (when riding of course), and my cell phone perfectly. It also attaches to the bottom of the seat instead of the seat post which I like. Great part!

4. FSA SL-K Seat post with a 25mm setback. Nothing amazing. I just got it cause I needed my seat to be set back a little bit more. Great part. Looks good, and so far it's holding up great. VERY easy to micro adjust the angle of the seat as well with the two bolt bracket instead of one bolt bracket my old post had.

5. FSA wheel skewers were bought just for bling..I like them, and that's all that really matters I guess. I still have the Mavic ones though incase these don't work for some reason.

6. Also picked up a Selle Italia seat. MAN this thing is 100 times more comfortable than the seat that originally came on the bike. Also only weighs roughly 130 grams. Could not be any happier with this purchase.

7. Switched to Michelin Pro 3 Race tires after just the first 100 miles. I can really tell how much better these stick to the road when compared to the Vittoria tires. It really is a night and day difference. I can feel it when I'm taking a fast 25mph+ turn drastically, and I can also notice it when going slowly. Really makes me feel safer while not making it any harder to pedal....if a bike tire can do that haha. So far no punctures with them either, and where I ride there are rocks etc heavily in some areas. Highly recommended so far!

Anyways, thanks for looking everyone. Thanks for the advice on things, and have fun riding!

Here is a picture of the bike, the bag, and the water bottle cages after tonight's ride.

Old 06-14-10, 09:15 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
$40 for each bottle cage?
Old 06-14-10, 09:17 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I still can't see the carbon on this bike.
Old 06-14-10, 09:39 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet looking bike. It's good to hear it' being ridden. Post some ride shots!

Ride safe
Old 06-14-10, 09:52 PM
ptle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You already put almost 1000 miles on it? Nice... I only got 550 miles or so in the month of May (and less now since I'm taking classes).

The bike looks good... glad you raised the seat.

As for cutting the steerer tube, make sure that's where you want it.

Nice bike though.
Old 06-14-10, 09:57 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Needs more carbon

Nice ride!
Old 06-14-10, 10:07 PM
BiggSlic
Slow but determined

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bike seems to be setup much better now OP. Did you ever go get that professional fit? I still recommend it especially if you are considering cutting the steerer tube.

Impressive mileage this far! That's some serious riding. How many lbs you drop doing that?
Old 06-14-10, 10:17 PM
goodtimes5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice bike. 1000 miles in a month is just mind-boggling. What specific model is that saddle?
Old 06-14-10, 10:25 PM
crimsonblood
Broken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. love that saddle.. Nice bike
Old 06-14-10, 10:39 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice bike, 1000 miles in a month is insane.
Old 06-14-10, 10:50 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seems like you're riding it like you stole it, a policy I heartily endorse.

I'd suggest safety wiring that seat bag to your saddle, using a zip tie or short piece of strong wire. I had the plastic clip assembly snap off twice. I ditched it before it ditched all my stuff.
Old 06-14-10, 10:55 PM
djlarroc

Bikes: '03 Trek Fuel 100, '09 Fuji Cross Comp, '09 Fuji Team Issue/RC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very beautiful bike. Glad you're riding the hell out of it.

What's been your longest ride?
Old 06-14-10, 11:15 PM
collegeboymike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys.

My re[lys to the posts...

-Well don't give me too much credit guys....it is close to 1000 miles. Exactly 889 miles to be more exact. So still 111 miles away from a full 1000. I have ridden a pretty strict ~40 miles a day (Some times 20 miles, sometimes 60 miles) M-F (I am a designer, so I have a lot of free time from work). Usually around 5-6pm when the temps aren't in the 100s anymore, I'll head out and get back to the house around 7-9pm...depending on how many breaks I take, and how long I went, as well as weather or not I stopped to eat somewhere in the middle.

-Weight lost is none...in fact I've gained weight...which for me is what I wanted. The little bit I have lost is the little amount of fat I had before getting the bike, then I replaced that weight lost with leg muscle. I ride in "harder" gears than the average person I would say to work on leg strength more than the cardio aspect of it. Combine this with lifting weights the same M-F 5 days a week in the mornings and a 6,000 calorie diet, and I haven't dropped a pound, but have instead gained a few while getting much more defined. Couldn't be happier. The results have been descent, and I hope to keep this up as long as the weather is still nice and warm and be very pleased with my physical figure in a few months. I'll see how it goes.

-I have NOT gotten the bike professionally fitted...YET I am though, and soon. I feel great on the bike as it is, and I have found a great place in the DFW area that will do it for around $100. I plan on swinging by there next week to have them fit it up and see just how close I cam eon my own Then, and only if they approve, I will be cutting the stem to whatever they suggest. Thanks for the tips on getting that done guys.

-I will wire the bag to the seat. Thanks!

-Yes, the seat is the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow

-My longest ride was 77.3 miles. It did damn near killed me though haha. A little too hott outside when I left, and for some reason I just kept going. I actually had no idea how bad I felt until I stopped for my second break near the end...then it hit me, and after a little rest, and after drinking all of my water, I slowly pedaled my way home. I did not ride for two days after that haha. I figured I earned it. I'll wait a little longer before I try that again....as well as never again start riding when it's still ~100 degrees outside...that was just stupid of me to even think about trying to ride that far already, and at those temps, no matter how young and healthy I am.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Old 06-14-10, 11:30 PM
Motobetird

Bikes: Colnago n' Cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If that bike had a sexual organ...I may consider it.
Old 06-15-10, 12:23 AM
hockey4mnhs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike, i was gonna ask what you do for a living and how you have that much time to get on the bike. I just wish I had enough time to ride that much enjoy it!!!!
Old 06-15-10, 12:27 AM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
With all those hours spent in the saddle, do not underestimate a day or two off per week for rest. Otherwise, you'll actually be slowing your progress.

Sweet machine!
Old 06-15-10, 12:40 AM
collegeboymike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiddSisko
With all those hours spent in the saddle, do not underestimate a day or two off per week for rest. Otherwise, you'll actually be slowing your progress.

Sweet machine!
Agreed...that's why I only ride M-F. I rest all weekend...including NO gym time either.
Old 06-15-10, 11:24 AM
kbtommy
Danger to Himself

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2008 Trek 4300, 2006 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by collegeboymike
as far as the mods go, these are them, and my reviews of them. I am now 100% done with the bike.
bwaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

Whew, that's a good one.

Seriously though, that's a sweet bike, and kudos on the mileage.
Old 06-15-10, 11:35 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's what the bikes for - riding the heck out of it. You will definately get your money's worth.
Gary